No concept of safety or minimizing risks

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

No concept of safety or minimizing risks

Post by explorer »

There is a shop where I have bought drinks and sometimes food, then sat at the table out the front to drink or eat. While I was there one day, somebody dropped a glass bottle in the shop, and it broke. One of the girls who works there swept it up and put it in a plastic bag. They have a bag out the front for people to put rubbish in. She put the bag with the broken glass in it, next to it, right at the entrance of the shop. It was where somebody could easily step on the plastic bag, and cut their foot, not knowing there was broken glass in it. I told her to put the bag with broken glass in it, under the shelf so nobody would step on it. She didnt get it, and didnt seem to care if somebody cut their foot. After a couple of minutes, I told her again. Same thing. A couple of minutes later, I told her again. She eventually took the bag with broken glass and put it on a rubbish heap down the street, where the rubbish truck would pick it up in the morning.

Most Cambodians dont understand the concept of safety, and minimizing the risks to other people. It is the problem of the person who steps on the broken glass, not the person who leaves it where it can be stepped on.

I just wrote about moving and raising a house. A girl who lives there stepped on a nail, which went into her foot. I have met two people recently who have cut their feet from stepping on broken glass.

There are many other situations like this where people can get injured.

A good example is the roads. Little is done to minimize risks and create safe roads.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: No concept of safety or minimizing risks

Post by Cruisemonkey »

The sky is blue and water is wet.
You could be next.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Largely self-centred thinking and a general lack of common sense.

Don’t worry- in other parts of the world that some might leap to describe as civilised, there is a mad march towards eradicating the need for common sense. There’ll be a rule for everything, such that common sense isn’t needed. We’ll get there. It’s a slow and insidious process.

A little like grammerly, or whatever it’s called. A program to make you right betta, init? Cos it’s impotent. Egcept...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

@explorer

The roads aren't safe.
People are not considering your or other's safety.
The rivers are full of plastic (OK, most invisible inside the water).
There's no waste management.
Non orphans are kept in orphanages to make a buck.
The country is corrupt.
Thieves cooperate with the police.

So, a sincere question - why do you spend a lot of your time in Cambodia?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:27 am There's no waste management.
There is waste management in some places. It could be improved. There could be waste management in more places.
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:27 am Non orphans are kept in orphanages to make a buck.
There are some orphanages which focus on raising money by dishonest means. There has been criticism of these. A lot of people have read this, and think it is the same in all orphanages. There are orphanages that have done a lot of good, and are doing a lot of good. Some children dont have a good home to go to. For example, I know of children with two living parents, who have separated and both have new partners. The children are not welcome at the home of either parent. Some people want to get rid of children from a previous relationship. They give them away if they can. I know a girl who would not know what her mother looked like if she walked past her in the street. I know of children where both parents are dead. I knew a girl who finished up being a child prostitute because she was not welcome at the home of either parent. There are also some good families. Some children are well looked after by their grandparents. Some orphanages only take in those who are genuinely in need.

Maybe (maybe not) I will write the stories of some of these children one day. There is so much negative information about orphanages lately, some people may have a negative reaction.
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:27 am So, a sincere question - why do you spend a lot of your time in Cambodia?
For the small amount of good I can do.

Why do you spend a lot of your time in Cambodia?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Many people actually wrap broken glass in paper/ plastic to avoid injury. Just because you encountered one ignorant server in a cafe doesn't mean you can generalize about the whole country.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:25 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:27 am So, a sincere question - why do you spend a lot of your time in Cambodia?

Well, that's quite altruistic. But not a real answer. You could do good in loads of countries.

I am here because Mozambique denied me a work visa, so I was employed in Cambodia as a teacher trainer in 2009 instead of Mozambique. I like it here with the main reason being I never experienced the rat race / routine I experienced back home in the West.

For that, I have to accept a lot of negative stuff. But so far it's been worth it.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

explorer wrote:

White man's burden, brother. You're such an angel to these people. God bless you.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:36 am I like it here with the main reason being

JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

A slight generalisation OP no?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic