David Fletcher Denied a Retrial in Cambodian Rape Case

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: David Fletcher Denied a Retrial in Cambodian Rape Case

Post by phuketrichard »

Satiated Parrot wrote:
takeoman wrote:
keeping_it_riel wrote:
Satiated Parrot wrote:The whole thing felt like a hatchet job. A hatchet job with relevance, but a hatchet job nonetheless.
Very possibly, but it is not the conspiracy Ricketson is alleging. He states that myself, together with the British Embassy, Andrew Drummond, Scott Neeson and other conspired to have Fletcher jailed for this crime. This is utterly ridiculous. I've had one dealing the British Embassy in 12 years - a passport renewal - and I've never even met Scott Neeson. Personally I would have preferred it if Fletcher had been taken back to the UK and given a proper trial in front of a jury for crimes he is alleged to have committed in the 1990s.
Once again my aging memory seems to recall you positively boasting how you and a friend drew up a plan, the final objective being to see Fletcher in Prey Sar. Doesn't that resemble a conspiracy? You seem to be indulging in the (ex) Trotskyist habit of trying to rewrite your personal history, one has to wonder why? :hattip:
I hate to say it, but that's exactly the way I remember it. If I recall correctly, KiR and Fletcher had a drunken spat at Fletcher's bar. Then KiR launched his offensive against Fletcher.
Yep
KIR had it in for Fletch an once he started
Drumond stepped in and finished it
Now KIR is pleading ohhh its wasn't me.... :please:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

keeping_it_real wrote:Ricketson is alleging . . . that myself, together with the British Embassy, Andrew Drummond, Scott Neeson and other conspired to have Fletcher jailed for this crime.

This is utterly ridiculous.
Of course it's utterly ridiculous. Drummond, Neeson and others didn't come until later.

takeoman wrote:Once again my aging memory seems to recall you positively boasting how you and a friend drew up a plan, the final objective being to see Fletcher in Prey Sar. Doesn't that resemble a conspiracy?
Satiated Parrot wrote:I hate to say it, but that's exactly the way I remember it. If I recall correctly, KiR and Fletcher had a drunken spat at Fletcher's bar. Then KiR launched his offensive against Fletcher.
phuketrichard wrote:Yep
Sounds like a personal vendetta. Can't people go to jail for this sort of thing?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

rick_o'shea wrote:No no no. I googled entophelia as OD posted. Not ephebophilia as MM posted. It wasn't what I expected. Something about pubic lice as a sexual fetish. There's even a yahoo group for it! Anyways, back on topic.
Sorry... misremembered the term... not something that's part of my daily vocabulary or attention (in either spelling).
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

OrangeDragon wrote:
rick_o'shea wrote:No no no. I googled entophelia as OD posted. Not ephebophilia as MM posted. It wasn't what I expected. Something about pubic lice as a sexual fetish. There's even a yahoo group for it! Anyways, back on topic.
Sorry... misremembered the term... not something that's part of my daily vocabulary or attention (in either spelling).
Why dont you answer you PM ....fs
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
keeping_it_riel
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by keeping_it_riel »

Username Taken wrote:
keeping_it_real wrote:Ricketson is alleging . . . that myself, together with the British Embassy, Andrew Drummond, Scott Neeson and other conspired to have Fletcher jailed for this crime.

Of course it's utterly ridiculous. Drummond, Neeson and others didn't come until later.

takeoman wrote:Once again my aging memory seems to recall you positively boasting how you and a friend drew up a plan, the final objective being to see Fletcher in Prey Sar. Doesn't that resemble a conspiracy?
Satiated Parrot wrote:I hate to say it, but that's exactly the way I remember it. If I recall correctly, KiR and Fletcher had a drunken spat at Fletcher's bar. Then KiR launched his offensive against Fletcher.
Sounds like a personal vendetta. Can't people go to jail for this sort of thing?
Sadly (for you) not. Flercher' sthe one in jail and I'm afraid that's where he's staying. As much as I'd like to have anybody who annoys me thrown in the clink, Fletcher's comeuppance has more to do with him being a recidivist sex offender who diddles adolescent girls.

The end.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

keeping_it_riel wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

Sadly (for you) not. Flercher' sthe one in jail and I'm afraid that's where he's staying. As much as I'd like to have anybody who annoys me thrown in the clink, Fletcher's comeuppance has more to do with him being a recidivist sex offender who diddles adolescent girls.

The end.
Do we therefore assume that your previous boasts, about how it was all the result of your plan, were merely an attempt to make yourself appear important, and contained not a grain of truth? :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

keeping_it_riel wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

The end.
There is NO evidence that he was a recidivist.

He was a sex offender in the UK he was not a sex offender in Cambodia. The crime that made him a sex offender in the UK is not a crime in Cambodia.

Until there is evidence that he broke a law in Cambodia why is he in jail in Cambodia?

Where are the victims? The only victim there seems to be recants her allegations on video. She is also above the age of consent in Cambodia (and the UK).

If seems Fletcher has pissed off someone. More likely by being too much of a fraud in the NGO game. That's why he was stitched up so effectively. Given the shame brought on the industry if Somaly Mam was a man she'd probably be facing similar allegations.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Digg3r wrote:The crime that made him a sex offender in the UK is not a crime in Cambodia.
I'm still sipping my first coffee of the day so I freely admit I'm probably a bit more twatty than usual.

By your argument, internationally-recognised war criminals that have not between prosecuted in their own country cannot be guilty. I was a having a chat with a guy from the Hague Tribunal the other day that would have some strong views about that.

Edit: I had more coffee and another read.
Digg3r wrote:Until there is evidence that he broke a law in Cambodia why is he in jail in Cambodia?
Fair point.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

StroppyChops wrote:
Digg3r wrote:The crime that made him a sex offender in the UK is not a crime in Cambodia.
I'm still sipping my first coffee of the day so I freely admit I'm probably a bit more twatty than usual.

By your argument, internationally-recognised war criminals that have not between prosecuted in their own country cannot be guilty. I was a having a chat with a guy from the Hague Tribunal the other day that would have some strong views about that.

Edit: I had more coffee and another read.
Digg3r wrote:Until there is evidence that he broke a law in Cambodia why is he in jail in Cambodia?
Fair point.

Simple;
KIR heard from someone what was going on with the dump trips ( an money being misused) an David's questionable nature and researched into his background and what was going on
Had a run in with David at his bar
Davids charity was questionable and someone wanted to "work" with him but David told him no.
ApLE got involved and KIR called in Drumond to write about him
got Dany to lie, David gave a very incriminating interview with Drumond
David split to Thailand and was arrested an imprisoned in Bangkok,
Cambodia court found him Guilty for Rape on hearsay evidence
Requested his extradition back to Cambodia
David appealed an lost and was brought back

Rest is history
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
keeping_it_riel
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by keeping_it_riel »

Richard

That's about it. The only thing you've missed out is the role of another Australian run quasi-judicial NGO who were also involved running their own investigation and may later have had something to do with the arrest in Bangkok. Drummond told me he was contacted by ****** straight after the Sunday Mirror piece appeared and was told he had "ruined" their ongoing op. Drummond's response (from what I recall) was that Fletch was such a clear and present danger to young women that he needed taking out immediately rather than after months and months of a long drawn out up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic