Homeless Australian MICHAEL CHARLES to be Deported

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Homeless Australian MICHAEL CHARLES to be Deported

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: On 14 June 2019, the Department of Immigration received a homeless Australian man, Michael Charles, for questioning. He was arrested by Daun Penh police in Phnom Penh for having no passport and no visa. He said that he arrived in Cambodia in 2017, but he is now homeless and he lost his passport last month and has no money to pay for a visa.

The homeless and penniless Australian is being held at the immigration detention center and will be deported.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Homeless Australian MICHAEL CHARLES to be Deported

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase: ANZAC 151
Mad Micky ,the wannabee Martial arts teacher /guru,
Funny for awhile ,but could quickly turn ,aggressive ,psyco ,if you didn't agree with his ideas or loan him $$$ .
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 pm The homeless and penniless Australian is being held at the immigration detention center and will be deported.
Most likely it will not be possible to get a flight to Australia for at least 6 months.

I believe it is wrong to lock people up in uncivilized conditions, when it is not possible to get a flight home. Cambodians don't value people the way we do, and don't understand just how uncivilized it is to treat people the way they do when locked up in Cambodia.

I think he should be allowed to be homeless until it is possible to get a flight to Australia.

I am sure he gets a little money begging. But not much.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:50 pm
I believe it is wrong to lock people up in uncivilized conditions, when it is not possible to get a flight home. Cambodians don't value people the way we do, and don't understand just how uncivilized it is to treat people the way they do when locked up in Cambodia.
How utterly ridiculous. More of your racist nonsense, what do you expect the authorities to do? Put them up in a 5 star hotel? Can you please explain what happens to foreigners without documentation in Australia? Obviously not, maybe try reading this:
The Australian Human Rights Commission’s report on the use of force in immigration detention is the latest chapter in a now familiar story of excessively harsh, punitive and degrading conditions in Australian immigration detention centres.

Once again, we see a disregard for the rights and basic dignity of people who have sought our protection and committed no crime.
Australia urged to pay compensation for unjustified use of force in immigration detention.

The report lays bare the unnecessary handcuffing of women, children, people in wheelchairs, people with mental illness and no history of violent behaviour, and other people needing medical care. It confirms what our clients have been telling us: that handcuffing has become a routine practice for transfers between centres and, alarmingly, for off-site medical appointments. This includes transfers for torture and trauma counselling, in private doctors’ waiting rooms and at consultations where the very purpose of the appointment is to investigate issues such as wrist and arm injuries.

But the report goes much further than the overuse of handcuffs. It highlights demeaning breaches of privacy. It exposes violence inflicted by officers in the name of compliance when other options were available. It details the use of guards in balaclavas and heavy armour to move family groups, including babies and young children, from a family compound in a pre-dawn paramilitary-style operation.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ery-nature
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

explorer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:50 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 pm The homeless and penniless Australian is being held at the immigration detention center and will be deported.
Most likely it will not be possible to get a flight to Australia for at least 6 months.

I think he should be allowed to be homeless until it is possible to get a flight to Australia.

I am sure he gets a little money begging. But not much.
To CEO posters, please check the date of the thread before you comment. Some CEO posters are bumping up old threads as if they are new, but chances are that, in this case for example, the person concerned was deported to Australia over a year ago. There was no covid-19 pandemic at the time of the OP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:13 pm To CEO posters, please check the date of the thread before you comment. Some CEO posters are bumping up old threads as if they are new, but chances are that, in this case for example, the person concerned was deported to Australia over a year ago. There was no covid-19 pandemic at the time of the OP.
OK

I didn't check the date.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:37 pm I didn't check the date.
You didn't care to check on the conditions in your own detention centers either. :?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

explorer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:37 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:13 pm To CEO posters, please check the date of the thread before you comment. Some CEO posters are bumping up old threads as if they are new, but chances are that, in this case for example, the person concerned was deported to Australia over a year ago. There was no covid-19 pandemic at the time of the OP.
OK

I didn't check the date.
:plus1:

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I feel robbed of a good punch up between Explorer and JB.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He's too embarrassed to ever reply to confrontation. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic