Where can I buy basic electronic components?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Where can I buy basic electronic components?

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

I would like to buy some 80 ohm resistors for example. I have been to electrical shops and they look at me as if I am out of my mind.
SteveBroadbent
Tourist
New Zealand

Re: Where can I buy basic electronic components?

Post by SteveBroadbent »

Cambodia Electronic Source (CES) is the best place I have found by far. It is an offshoot of the Electrical Engineering school at Norton University over at Chroy Chrangva. They sell through an online store with same day delivery in PP.
It is run by tutor of the electronics workshop, who is very helpful to non-elec engineers (like me).
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

@SteveBroadbent's suggestion sounds like worth a try.
Other than that, a while ago I was looking for speaker magnets at Orussey market, and I believe I came across people selling capacitors and resistors as well. Sorry, I don't remember the exact location in the market.
Google Orussey capacitors (or resistors).
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

yongchi wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:23 pm Other than that, a while ago I was looking for speaker magnets at Orussey market, and I believe I came across people selling capacitors and resistors as well. Sorry, I don't remember the exact location in the market.
Ground floor, south west area. Dont expect a big range. You may not find what you are looking for. You can buy things like lights, electrical wire, switches, lithium batteries. You may need to look through a lot of stalls. It seems some of these stalls are like wholesalers. People from shops buy from them. You may be able to buy large quantities cheap.

You can also order on Ebay or similar companies, and get them sent in.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

SteveBroadbent wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 pm Cambodia Electronic Source (CES) is the best place I have found by far. It is an offshoot of the Electrical Engineering school at Norton University over at Chroy Chrangva. They sell through an online store with same day delivery in PP.
It is run by tutor of the electronics workshop, who is very helpful to non-elec engineers (like me).
Drive into Uni, stay on the left side. You'll see a building (restaurants at bottom). Go to first floor, room 104 is your place to be.
pebbles&nightsky
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thanks all
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

yongchi wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:23 pm @SteveBroadbent's suggestion sounds like worth a try.
Other than that, a while ago I was looking for speaker magnets at Orussey market, and I believe I came across people selling capacitors and resistors as well. Sorry, I don't remember the exact location in the market.
By the way, did you source your magnets? I need a few little magnets for my project. I'll dissect some fridge magnets if necessary but it would be better to buy them.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Orussey market had large magnets (the ones you would find in speaker drivers). Too large for my purpose.
A while ago I bought some small ones at IBC and I believe also at PBC on Monivong.
As for small, very strong neodymium magnets, I have seen those too but I don't remember exactly where. Sometimes my memory just ... Perhaps check the Japanese stores at Aeon mall as well when you are near-by.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 am By the way, did you source your magnets? I need a few little magnets for my project. I'll dissect some fridge magnets if necessary but it would be better to buy them.
A lot of old computers get trashed. If you find one being trashed, get the hard drive and pull it apart. They have strong magnets in them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 am
yongchi wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:23 pm SteveBroadbent’s suggestion sounds like worth a try.
By the way, did you source your magnets? I need a few little magnets for my project. I'll dissect some fridge magnets if necessary but it would be better to buy them.
Was at Aeon 2 and found a decent selection of magnets at Daiso on the first floor. They have fridge and whiteboard magnets, ferrite magnets, and neodymium magnets.

Not all sizes and strengths available, but good for various projects. Price for a set is $1.9.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic