Pattaya geezer caught on supermarket CCTV pocketing money dropped by Thai lady

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Pattaya geezer caught on supermarket CCTV pocketing money dropped by Thai lady

Post by Cam Nivag »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 pm It's a real dick move. It's no big deal if you just pick up a lost bill off the floor, but if you have seen who dropped it it's different. Twice within a short period in Europe I was walking behind people who dropped their wallets, and I just scooped them up and returned them to their owners. I did have a quick squeeze/ peek though.
Another time I was drunk as hell coming from a vodka bar walking by Soho Square and noticed this junkie in a wide doorway loads of them used to camp in who had a posh leather handbag. I grabbed it off him and said "You knicked this, you twat", and went on my way. So on the bus I had a look in the bag and wallet full of cards and tried to figure out whose it was. It was easy to find the owner, but they were ex-directory. I kept at it and eventually got put through. Dear me, this guy went mental! He at first demanded to know how I got his "secret" number and then got even weirder and put me on to his irate wife. WTF? I told them I'd had enough, I was only trying to help and if they wanted their property it would be with the receptionist at the place I worked for at the time. I know they came and picked it up but they didn't send thanks or anything - the ungrateful pricks. Made me wish I'd just let that junkie keep it.
There's a lost wallet scam of course, the perps drop a wallet, and then as you walk by they ask "Is that your wallet" and you say "no" and they say "We found it together, oh luck it's full of cash, we should share the money" and this ends up in an elaborate con with you putting up your own money or something as a good faith deposit for half of the thousands in the wallet and you get ripped off.

I found a purse in the street in Lisbon last year my immediate reaction was to look around for a scammer, but there wasn't one. So I picked it up, holding it out away from my body like it was kryptonite, found some IDs of an older Spanish lady, photos of grandkids, (no cash), and walked the purse to a cop shop.

Then I Facebook searched for the lady and found her and some family members and messaged them and told them the address of the cop shop where I dropped it off. They were quite pleased with that. I felt like Batman.
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Pattaya geezer caught on supermarket CCTV pocketing money dropped by Thai lady

Post by kritsana77 »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 pm It's a real dick move. It's no big deal if you just pick up a lost bill off the floor, but if you have seen who dropped it it's different. Twice within a short period in Europe I was walking behind people who dropped their wallets, and I just scooped them up and returned them to their owners. I did have a quick squeeze/ peek though.
Another time I was drunk as hell coming from a vodka bar walking by Soho Square and noticed this junkie in a wide doorway loads of them used to camp in who had a posh leather handbag. I grabbed it off him and said "You knicked this, you twat", and went on my way. So on the bus I had a look in the bag and wallet full of cards and tried to figure out whose it was. It was easy to find the owner, but they were ex-directory. I kept at it and eventually got put through. Dear me, this guy went mental! He at first demanded to know how I got his "secret" number and then got even weirder and put me on to his irate wife. WTF? I told them I'd had enough, I was only trying to help and if they wanted their property it would be with the receptionist at the place I worked for at the time. I know they came and picked it up but they didn't send thanks or anything - the ungrateful pricks. Made me wish I'd just let that junkie keep it.
I was a bartender in L.A. for ten years. I returned wallets all the time. I lost my wallet in L.A. twice and got it back both times. It is called Karma. I dropped my wallet and my phone in a taxi in Bangkok in 2003. My ex wife called my phone and the taxi driver picked up and wanted FIVE TIMES what the wallet and phone was worth. That didn't make the news.
My point is there are POS wherever you go.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic