Battery Back up for KOW

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Equinix
Expatriate

Re: Battery Back up for KOW

Post by Equinix »

Bumping up this to thread...

As​ we all know, the horrors of Rotating power cuts are upon us "soon"

I'm looking into powering 2 fans and a laptop on backup power.

What's the cheapest option for maybe 6hrs of emergency power?

Any recommendations on a supplier?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Laptops have built-in backup power...... If it starts to fail consider a new laptop or a new battery. Latter quite hard to find in the KoW.

For the fans, buy some 12V fans and use a car battery.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Kammekor wrote:Laptops have built-in backup power...... If it starts to fail consider a new laptop or a new battery. Latter quite hard to find in the KoW.

For the fans, buy some 12V fans and use a car battery.
I got one small battery powered fan but ideally would get one or two batteries for backup. Also want to power my router so I would be able to keep using the internet.

My​ laptops are two older model Lenovos and I'm not currently looking to upgrade to a new model.

How about a lithium ion battery used for solar power?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:50 am
beaker wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 am most laptops power supplies/battery chargers are good for a range of voltages.
i.e. 100v-240v
Check the power requirements on your router.
What if the IP provider goes down too when the power goes off ?
Cheaper to buy a battery and inverter/charger than an emergency power supply.
Hopefully his phone can create a hotspot, problem solved. 👍
But then he doesnt need battery backup for the router, only the laptop
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Brody wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 am A $30 Prolink UPS might be all you need for any random cuts under an hour.
That's what I've been using. Work like a champ.
Mine died after 2 years but a replacement battery was only $15 and it was easy to replace.

I asked in the load shedding thread why they bothered to put an on/off switch on UPSs... but I soon realised if the power went out for four hours while I was out of the house, it was no point in having my wifi running when I wasn't here, so starting turning it off when I went out, so if I returned to no power I would still have a full charge.
Did you change the type of battery that you used? I hear there is a better battery and I need to replace the ones on my UPS.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

pczz wrote:
beaker wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 am most laptops power supplies/battery chargers are good for a range of voltages.
i.e. 100v-240v
Hopefully his phone can create a hotspot, problem solved. Image
I've got one of those battery powered Hotspot routers with cellcard and use smart on my phone.

Unfortunately, last time during the rotating power cuts (or other power cuts for that matter) 4g becomes slow af when there is a power cut.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

jovial fucher wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:03 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:46 pm
Brody wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 am A $30 Prolink UPS might be all you need for any random cuts under an hour.
That's what I've been using. Work like a champ.
Mine died after 2 years but a replacement battery was only $15 and it was easy to replace.

I asked in the load shedding thread why they bothered to put an on/off switch on UPSs... but I soon realised if the power went out for four hours while I was out of the house, it was no point in having my wifi running when I wasn't here, so starting turning it off when I went out, so if I returned to no power I would still have a full charge.
Did you change the type of battery that you used? I hear there is a better battery and I need to replace the ones on my UPS.
No, I used the same type as the original.

There are videos on Youtube showing how you can connect a car battery instead... but if you read the comments there are lots of people saying that it could be dangerous because the heat generated by the extended time it takes to charge up the battery could cause a fire, and the guy just twists the wires together with some tape rather than soldering them etc. Can probably be done safely if it's done right though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Equinix wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:04 am
pczz wrote:
i.e. 100v-240v
I've got one of those battery powered Hotspot routers with cellcard and use smart on my phone.

Unfortunately, last time during the rotating power cuts (or other power cuts for that matter) 4g becomes slow af when there is a power cut.
Because when there is a powercut everyone switches to using 4g :facepalm:
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

pczz wrote:
Equinix wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:04 am
pczz wrote:
i.e. 100v-240v

Because when there is a powercut everyone switches to using 4g :facepalm:
Lolz. Why the Image

Just​ ​because I didn't mention that in my comment, didn't mean I didn't know that Image

Anyone knows a company that sells batteries, inverters and other accessories that are needed?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Most 12v DC to 220v AC inverters are also 12v battery chargers. They are easy to find here.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic