Emirates Daily Flights - Dubai to Phnom Penh via BKK

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Emirates Daily Flights - Dubai to Phnom Penh via BKK

Post by rogerrabbit »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 am Is this replacing the Yangon route?

The emirates route to Phnom Penh currently does a short stop in Yangon. Passenger numbers have been variable, and frequently in cattle class I’ve had a whole row to myself.
I’m guessing that this service is partially going to replace the Yangon route. I wonder if the timings won’t be so handy, now.
Yes this route replaced the Yangon route.
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 am
On Emirates I get quoted prices between USD 741 and 1341 for that flight, with departure the day after tomorrow, two weeks stay, flex 3 days in departure- and return flight.

You must have seen a spectacular promotion.

For September 2019 (when I will travel to my home country) I am quoted 934 USD and up for a return flight to The Netherlands from PNH. I booked a return flight on Emirates from Bangkok for EUR 560 which equals 620 USD.
That means the 'extra' stretch PNH-BKK on Emirates is actually more expensive than a separate return ticket on Bangkok airways, which used to be the most expensive carrier on that route with 5-6 daily flights.

If I would travel alone I woudn't care so much, but with a family of 4 the difference in price is simply too big to resist.
That is totally normal. If you take separate tickets, then you are responsible if your first flight is late. Or you have to take longer layover in Bangkok to avoid missing the flight which usually mean extra expense (hotel, meal/drinks at airport), and the extra hassle of checking in twice. In the end if you count all, you might not save that much. Of course if you have the time, then why not have a night or two stop over in Bangkok.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:22 pm That is totally normal. If you take separate tickets, then you are responsible if your first flight is late. Or you have to take longer layover in Bangkok to avoid missing the flight which usually mean extra expense (hotel, meal/drinks at airport), and the extra hassle of checking in twice. In the end if you count all, you might not save that much. Of course if you have the time, then why not have a night or two stop over in Bangkok.
There is also the fact that there is less competition on ticket prices ex PNH to anywhere in Europe. AFAIK, the only airlines that can do it without a codeshare are Malaysia, Cathay, Emirates, China Southern, Thai and Qatar. Most of them involve elongated total flight times which are not attractive to the pax and presumably also costly for the airlines. Philippine Air and Eva would be ridiculously longwinded.
Several airlines offer tickets through a codeshare with Bangkok Airlines or Jetstar but presumably they don't get a good deal with the codesharer because those prices never seem to be good.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:22 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 am Is this replacing the Yangon route?

The emirates route to Phnom Penh currently does a short stop in Yangon. Passenger numbers have been variable, and frequently in cattle class I’ve had a whole row to myself.
I’m guessing that this service is partially going to replace the Yangon route. I wonder if the timings won’t be so handy, now.
Yes this route replaced the Yangon route.
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 am
On Emirates I get quoted prices between USD 741 and 1341 for that flight, with departure the day after tomorrow, two weeks stay, flex 3 days in departure- and return flight.

You must have seen a spectacular promotion.

For September 2019 (when I will travel to my home country) I am quoted 934 USD and up for a return flight to The Netherlands from PNH. I booked a return flight on Emirates from Bangkok for EUR 560 which equals 620 USD.
That means the 'extra' stretch PNH-BKK on Emirates is actually more expensive than a separate return ticket on Bangkok airways, which used to be the most expensive carrier on that route with 5-6 daily flights.

If I would travel alone I woudn't care so much, but with a family of 4 the difference in price is simply too big to resist.
That is totally normal. If you take separate tickets, then you are responsible if your first flight is late. Or you have to take longer layover in Bangkok to avoid missing the flight which usually mean extra expense (hotel, meal/drinks at airport), and the extra hassle of checking in twice. In the end if you count all, you might not save that much. Of course if you have the time, then why not have a night or two stop over in Bangkok.
No, it's not normal for a long range ticket the extra stretch of 500 km costing more than a separate ticket. For the four of us having a stopover in BKK will save about 800 USD, that includes separate flights from PNH to BKK and back (about 50 USD per person one way), plus the chance to choose more a more convenient flight from Bangkok to Europe. Leaving Phnom Penh at 11 at night, and flying through at 3 AM ain't fun with kids.

It's all about the market in PNH having very few competitors.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Addition: one reason the extra stretch could (and normally would) be offered at a lower extra price than a separate ticket is the fact airport tax for 'fly through passengers' is lower than for 'departing passengers'. But Emirates choose not to offer this lower price, instead they raise the price because there's lack of competition.

Just check with Malaysia air, a ticket PNH-London or KUL-London. There will be no 300 USD difference in fare.
peter.storm
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by peter.storm »

Freightdog wrote:Is this replacing the Yangon route?

Yes I have used this route on the way to Birmingham UK. I have also usually had a full row to myself.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Facebook;- Creating Narcissists from nobodies!!!!!!

Hornithology;- The study of featherless birds!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic