Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenced)

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:38 pm
Reputation: 45
Great Britain

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by sousadeyy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:15 am

Thanks!
User avatar
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:51 pm
Reputation: 1378
Australia

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by rozzieoz » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 am

sousadeyy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 pm
I noticed that he is still supporting her. His fb cover photo features them happily together to this day. Sorry if I'm wrong here, but I did gather through the thread people have commented that he still supports her. Huge apology if my statement is wrong. But that is what I understand.

She drugged him and murdered a person in his home. And he still supports her. I find that hard to understand. It must also cost money to support her through her prison sentence. And he owes money to people? I mean if he is innocent, full sympathy to the guy. I find it weird to believe given all the evidence that people believe that he was oblivious to this. Especially since he supports her and now owes money to people he borrowed from. Borrowed from because his wife dismembered who she previously borrowed from.

Mental.
The whole story boggles my mind. I have so many questions and nobody to ask them to.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
User avatar
God
Omnipotent
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 am
Reputation: 43
Location: Heaven
Cambodia

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by God » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:08 am

rozzieoz wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 am
sousadeyy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 pm
I noticed that he is still supporting her. His fb cover photo features them happily together to this day. Sorry if I'm wrong here, but I did gather through the thread people have commented that he still supports her. Huge apology if my statement is wrong. But that is what I understand.

She drugged him and murdered a person in his home. And he still supports her. I find that hard to understand. It must also cost money to support her through her prison sentence. And he owes money to people? I mean if he is innocent, full sympathy to the guy. I find it weird to believe given all the evidence that people believe that he was oblivious to this. Especially since he supports her and now owes money to people he borrowed from. Borrowed from because his wife dismembered who she previously borrowed from.

Mental.
The whole story boggles my mind. I have so many questions and nobody to ask them to.

Bless you my child, I am always here .
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:38 pm
Reputation: 45
Great Britain

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by sousadeyy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Allow me to organize my thoughts on this. Also Netflix may wish to use this as the sypnosis when they come to make the show about it. So I don't know anyone personally involved, went to eat at Alamo once thats all i can offer, but after trailing through this thread, the thread on t.o.f and news reports and the confession video, this is what I understand happened from start to finish. Please correct me where I am wrong - those who are closer to the issue than some random pp expat who loves a good crime doc.

Without doubt this story stretches the imagination of any Hollywood script.

Setting the Scene

I shall call the man in question simply 'the husband' and the lady who has been convicted of the murder 'Srey Choppy'. The husband is a middle aged expat who resides in PP. He was actively involved in t.o.f and worked in some format with technical assistance. The husband was also acquainted to many of the forum members on this site. The restaurant which they both ran "Alamo'' at one point offered a 'CEO special' and it seems some of the mods or longtime posters frequented the restaurant and were personal friends of the husband. It is said that the husband promoted the restaurant and Srey Choppy operated it. Looking through the thread about the restaurant before these events transpired, the husband was very actively involved in the restaurant. From menu creation, to following up on orders, to procuring clients through the forum and acting as some sort of customer service role. By all accounts, all those who knew him personally at least before this whole case developed spoke highly of him, and in general his reputation is one of good character. Srey Choppy on the otherhand has a very poor reputation, multiple people warned the husband regarding her. She is known to habitually owe money. Commonly this is through either a gambling addiction or an Ice addiction, there is no confirmation of why she habitually owed money.

The restaurant is small and doubles up as a house. A small town house, where there was a tiny front seating and cooking area, and behind that a living area for the family. The children are not his (I don't think, def not all) but he actively supported/supports them.

The events that transpired

A body was found chopped up in multiple plastic bags in the river. A local loanshark had gone missing and so police questioned the daughter of the loan shark. The daughter said that the loan shark had last been seen going to Alamo Cafe to collect her debt. So police went to Alamo cafe and found remains of the debt collector in the freezer of Alamo Cafe. Srey Choppy was arrested. In good old Cambo style Srey Choppy in conjuction with the police did a full walkthrough confession. She spoke as if she was recanting a story, it was very cold and just plain damn weird, the one thing she stressed repeatedly in the confession is that she acted alone. In addition to this CCTV evidence was found which shows Srey Choppy's son riding the motorbike of the dismembered loanshark.

According to the confession the loanshark came round to ask for her debt of $700. She told Srey Choppy that if she didn't pay she would release details of her whereabouts to people in her village who she also owed money to. At this point Srey Choppy hit her with a big stick and suffocated her. She hid the body in the daughters room, knowing the husband wouldn't go in there. And so began a horrific murder scenario apparently which the family who lived in the house were oblivious to.

Srey Choppy said that she dismembered the body over the course of 5/6 days. She would serve the husband an ice-tea each evening which drugged him through the night. There was also a loud fan in his bedroom which stopped him hearing a body being dismembered. The husband or anyone in that family for the matter had no idea that a body was being chopped up over 5/6 days. No noise, no smell, no remains - there is nothing to say the children were also drugged. In the day the body was stored in a small chest freezer which was situated near the front of the restuarant. She partially froze the body so it was easier to dismember, she also says that she had experience butchering animals so it was quite easy for her.The loanshark weighed between 60-70kilos (from looking at her) and Srey Choppy killed her and got her in the freezer herself, and covered the body with restaurant goods. Dumping parts in the river under the cover of darkness. The freezer quite simply doesnt seem big enough to store a body. This cycle of drugging, going about daily business (reports are that the restaurant was open during this time) dismembering by night continued until body parts were found in the river, and hence why the remains were still in the freezer. Seems the job was not quite complete.

The husband claims he had no idea, wasnt aware that he was being drugged. Yet after the arrest - he stayed outside the police station for 17 hours in the rain. An extreme switch of sleep cycles, i guess adrenaline could do this. He was questioned by police and released.

The Aftermath

To this day the husband resides in PP and still supports the children. He still supports the wife and his cover photo on FB is a picture of him and the family in better times. Immediately after the arrest, the husband reached out to friends for loans. Many of which are active or closely related to both forums. Some people lent him money, from what I understand it was not huge amount, but enough that you would want back, he pledged to pay back. This money has not been paid back and now it seems this is creating further problems. With such, it seems like this is a developing situation as people have became somewhat bitter by money not being paid back.

Without a shadow of doubt there are so many unanswered questions about the murder and the fact the family who lived inside a small house at the time were oblivious to the crime, especially since the son was riding a moto. Stranger than fiction? Mental. So many questions I would like to ask the husband.
Last edited by sousadeyy on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Posts: 1970
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:19 pm
Reputation: 648
Central African Republic

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by Jerry Atrick » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:22 pm

^
Pretty much the story as known to date.

Except the guy isn't at all elderly. I would say he's middle aged.
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 11533
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 2939
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by Username Taken » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:44 pm

Just to add, I'd say the hubby was 'acquainted with' rather than 'well connected to' some forum members.

Then you mention an Ice addiction. I must have missed that bit, or did you just throw that in to spice it up a bit?
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:38 pm
Reputation: 45
Great Britain

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by sousadeyy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Username Taken wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:44 pm
Just to add, I'd say the hubby was 'acquainted with' rather than 'well connected to' some forum members.

Then you mention an Ice addiction. I must have missed that bit, or did you just throw that in to spice it up a bit?
None, it was banded arounded in the threads. The two most plausible theories for debt in Cambodia?

I take your advice and will edit the original post for some more accuracy. Thanks!
Andy S Tawatin
Expatriate
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:20 pm
Reputation: 36

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by Andy S Tawatin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:54 pm

I believe the chronology correctly, first of all mystery body parts washed up along the riverside (certainly a foot, maybe some other bits) which led to the connection between the loan shark's disappearance and possible murder.

ASFIK the head was never found.
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:38 pm
Reputation: 45
Great Britain

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by sousadeyy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:10 pm

sousadeyy wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:11 pm
Allow me to organize my thoughts on this. Also Netflix may wish to use this as the sypnosis when they come to make the show about it. So I don't know anyone personally involved, went to eat at Alamo once thats all i can offer, but after trailing through this thread, the thread on t.o.f and news reports and the confession video, this is what I understand happened from start to finish. Please correct me where I am wrong - those who are closer to the issue than some random pp expat who loves a good crime doc.

Without doubt this story stretches the imagination of any Hollywood script.

Setting the Scene

I shall call the man in question simply 'the husband' and the lady who has been convicted of the murder 'Srey Choppy'. The husband is a middle aged expat who resides in PP. He was actively involved in t.o.f and worked in some format with technical assistance. The husband was also acquainted to many of the forum members on this site. The restaurant which they both ran "Alamo'' at one point offered a 'CEO special' and it seems some of the mods or longtime posters frequented the restaurant and were personal friends of the husband. It is said that the husband promoted the restaurant and Srey Choppy operated it. Looking through the thread about the restaurant before these events transpired, the husband was very actively involved in the restaurant. From menu creation, to following up on orders, to procuring clients through the forum and acting as some sort of customer service role. By all accounts, all those who knew him personally at least before this whole case developed spoke highly of him, and in general his reputation is one of good character. Srey Choppy on the otherhand has a very poor reputation, multiple people warned the husband regarding her. She is known to habitually owe money. Commonly this is through either a gambling addiction or an Ice addiction, there is no confirmation of why she habitually owed money.

The restaurant is small and doubles up as a house. A small town house, where there was a tiny front seating and cooking area, and behind that a living area for the family. The children are not his (I don't think, def not all) but he actively supported/supports them.

The events that transpired

A body was found chopped up in multiple plastic bags in the river. A local loanshark had gone missing and so police questioned the daughter of the loan shark. The daughter said that the loan shark had last been seen going to Alamo Cafe to collect her debt. So police went to Alamo cafe and found remains of the debt collector in the freezer of Alamo Cafe. Srey Choppy was arrested. In good old Cambo style Srey Choppy in conjuction with the police did a full walkthrough confession. She spoke as if she was recanting a story, it was very cold and just plain damn weird, the one thing she stressed repeatedly in the confession is that she acted alone. In addition to this CCTV evidence was found which shows Srey Choppy's son riding the motorbike of the dismembered loanshark.

According to the confession the loanshark came round to ask for her debt of $700. She told Srey Choppy that if she didn't pay she would release details of her whereabouts to people in her village who she also owed money to. At this point Srey Choppy hit her with a big stick and suffocated her. She hid the body in the daughters room, knowing the husband wouldn't go in there. And so began a horrific murder scenario apparently which the family who lived in the house were oblivious to.

Srey Choppy said that she dismembered the body over the course of 5/6 days. She would serve the husband an ice-tea each evening which drugged him through the night. There was also a loud fan in his bedroom which stopped him hearing a body being dismembered. The husband or anyone in that family for the matter had no idea that a body was being chopped up over 5/6 days. No noise, no smell, no remains - there is nothing to say the children were also drugged. In the day the body was stored in a small chest freezer which was situated near the front of the restuarant. She partially froze the body so it was easier to dismember, she also says that she had experience butchering animals so it was quite easy for her.The loanshark weighed between 60-70kilos (from looking at her) and Srey Choppy killed her and got her in the freezer herself, and covered the body with restaurant goods. Dumping parts in the river under the cover of darkness. The freezer quite simply doesnt seem big enough to store a body. This cycle of drugging, going about daily business (reports are that the restaurant was open during this time) dismembering by night continued until body parts were found in the river, and hence why the remains were still in the freezer. Seems the job was not quite complete.

The husband claims he had no idea, wasnt aware that he was being drugged. Yet after the arrest - he stayed outside the police station for 17 hours in the rain. An extreme switch of sleep cycles, i guess adrenaline could do this. He was questioned by police and released.

The Aftermath

To this day the husband resides in PP and still supports the children. He still supports the wife and his cover photo on FB is a picture of him and the family in better times. Immediately after the arrest, the husband reached out to friends for loans. Many of which are active or closely related to both forums. Some people lent him money, from what I understand it was not huge amount, but enough that you would want back, he pledged to pay back. This money has not been paid back and now it seems this is creating further problems. With such, it seems like this is a developing situation as people have became somewhat bitter by money not being paid back.

Without a shadow of doubt there are so many unanswered questions about the murder and the fact the family who lived inside a small house at the time were oblivious to the crime, especially since the son was riding a moto. Stranger than fiction? Mental. So many questions I would like to ask the husband.
To add to my original post. Since posting multiple people have reached out to me to provide further details or address mistakes.

One point that is corroborated between those who reached out to me is:

The husband borrowed large amounts of money in the 18months before the murder as they were regularly paying off debts that srey choppy accrued. He had lost friends due to this long before the murder.

There were a multitude of lenders after them.


Uncorroborated allegations:

Srey choppy had a sister who went missing in Poipet, her Id and belongings were found in a hotel room and she has never been seen since. Srey choppy is a suspect

Srey choppy had previously been in trouble for selling meth.

Plot is forever thickening.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11118
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2401
Tokelau

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenc

Post by Anchor Moy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:48 pm

Definitely one of the strangest and darkest stories on CEO. It all started with a news item about some unknown body parts washed up on the Phnom Penh riverfront last year.
newsworthy/body-parts-washing-riverside ... ml#p341497

But then, it gets weird because the prime suspects in the case were people known to expats on both Cambodian expat forums. The husband even worked for one of them. (Not CEO.) The woman was running a (popular?) Tex-Mex restaurant in Phnom Penh.

Most of you know all this, but some newcomers to the forum may be confused since the story is getting bumped up again.
There's also some gruesome photos on darknet somewhere.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barang_TK, Bing [Bot], Gilmore, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], paul2d, Sambodia, shigbee18, STEVITO and 416 guests