Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia (Sentenced)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News(Phnom Penh): The Royal Gendarmerie of Phnom Penh on June 13, 2019, has sent the suspect, Tin Sophal, 35, to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for questioning by the judge over the murder of the suspect's friend, 40-year-old Koem Yaneang.
Briefly, the woman confirms the known events: The woman suspect has confirmed that on 4 June 2019 the victim asked her for $700 that she couldn't pay, and threatened to give her address to other people that she owed money to. The suspect offered to pay $350, but the victim refused and demanded the whole $700. As a result, the suspect murdered the victim in her bathroom when she went to the toilet. The suspect put a scarf over the victim's mouth and tightened it until she was dead. The suspect then dumped the body in the freezer, and the next night she gave her husband drugs to make him sleep while she chopped up the body. After that, the murderer took the body parts to Sisowath to throw into the river.
More details of the interrogation to follow.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Owner of Alamo Cafe Admits to Murder & Shows Police Where She Dumped the Body Parts in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

2 hours ago - BREAKING NEWS
Suspect in dismemberment murder sent to municipal court

Lt Gen Sreang yesterday said Ms Sophal was sent to the municipal court for questioning after military police finished interrogating her, during which she confessed and explained how she killed the victim.

“According to her confession, no other person was involved in the victim’s murder,” Lt Gen Sreang said. “She alone killed the victim.”

“She confessed that she killed the victim because she was angry with the victim, who threatened to report her to the police, or reveal where she lived to other people who she owed money to,” he added.

According to a military police report, Ms Sophal said she had been unofficially married six times and was separated from her most recent husband before she was arrested. Three of her ex-husbands were Cambodians while the remaining three were foreign nationals.

Ms Sophal confessed that on the day of the victim’s murder, she and the victim were drinking beer at her rental house in Chey Chumneas commune.

When they got drunk, the victim started demanding the $700 that Ms Sophal owed her. However, Ms Sophal did not have any money to repay the victim.

They got into an argument, during which Ms Yaneang threatened to report Ms Sophal to the police or reveal her home address to other people whom she owed money to.

Ms Sophal confessed that during the argument, she hit Ms Yaneang on the neck with a big stick until she was unconscious, and then strangled her to death.

After killing the victim, she took a cleaver and cut the victim’s body into small pieces to put into black plastic bags that she temporarily kept inside her house.

Ms Sophal noted that at night, she carried the bags and disposed of them in different places; some were thrown in garbage in Daun Penh district and others into the Mekong river near the Royal Palace.

After throwing the bags away, she returned home and pretended to know nothing. Military police then arrested her on Monday.
Full article : https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50614036/s ... pal-court/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jim Gil
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Jim Gil »

I don't know the husband and know I probably shouldn't be posting this but,
To his friends on this forum you need to get this guy out of Cambodia and back to his home country, regardless of any involvement or not. I mean he goes to live in a third world country and decides that it's a good idea to get married to a woman who has 4 previous husbands and a couple of kids!! Then he finds himself in a situation as bizarre and horrific as this, where he is drugged for days but during those days is completely unaware of it??
This man is obviously not capable of looking after himself as these are not the actions of a rational individual, yet people are saying he should be able to look after her children?? I mean god forbid!!
He obviously has serious cognitive issues, just get him home because however things play out with the psycho wife Cambodia is no longer the place for this guy.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Jim Gil wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:41 am I don't know the husband and know I probably shouldn't be posting this but,
To his friends on this forum you need to get this guy out of Cambodia and back to his home country, regardless of any involvement or not. I mean he goes to live in a third world country and decides that it's a good idea to get married to a woman who has 4 previous husbands and a couple of kids!! Then he finds himself in a situation as bizarre and horrific as this, where he is drugged for days but during those days is completely unaware of it??
This man is obviously not capable of looking after himself as these are not the actions of a rational individual, yet people are saying he should be able to look after her children?? I mean god forbid!!
He obviously has serious cognitive issues, just get him home because however things play out with the psycho wife Cambodia is no longer the place for this guy.
Completely agreed Jim. One issue, here it is reported that she was married SIX times:
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50614036/s ... pal-court/

According to a military police report, Ms Sophal said she had been unofficially married six times and was separated from her most recent husband before she was arrested. Three of her ex-husbands were Cambodians while the remaining three were foreign nationals.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Actually, I do not agree the husband should flee. He should be arrested.
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:55 am Actually, I do not agree the husband should flee. He should be arrested.
Why? Stupidity ain't no crime!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jim Gil wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:41 am he is drugged for days but during those days is completely unaware of it??
and was separated from her most recent husband before she was arrested.
Does not compute..
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I may have missed it but where exactly is the husband now?

Because i find it hard to believe that while he had no part in the actual murder he was oblivious to the crime in the immediate aftermath.

A dead body is butchered in your house.... its not a 15 bedroom mansion with servants quarters... its a town house and not a very big one and you are not aware of it??
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:38 am I may have missed it but where exactly is the husband now?

Because i find it hard to believe that while he had no part in the actual murder he was oblivious to the crime in the immediate aftermath.

A dead body is butchered in your house.... its not a 15 bedroom mansion with servants quarters... its a town house and not a very big one and you are not aware of it??
If you were upstairs at home and you hear a thud or something downstairs, your reaction wouldn't be "Oh, that's probably my wife murdering someone, I'd better go down to check it out". You'd just assume it was nothing significant and carry on with whatever you were doing. I don't believe for a second that he knowingly had anything to do with this.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Bubble T wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:32 am
IraHayes wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:38 am I may have missed it but where exactly is the husband now?

If you were upstairs at home and you hear a thud or something downstairs, your reaction wouldn't be "Oh, that's probably my wife murdering someone, I'd better go down to check it out". You'd just assume it was nothing significant and carry on with whatever you were doing. I don't believe for a second that he knowingly had anything to do with this.
I'd agree but I thought the story went along the lines that she did the chopping up over several days, would that not get your attention? Appreciate it also says he was drugged so perhaps he didnt. Was the Restaurant open during the week in between murder and arrest? I'm surprised nobody has said they did I always thought it was popular with expats? Would sure give me the creeps if I had.

However, to answer Ira's question, as far as i read from his friends he is still here and at the house/restaurant which I think makes him look not guilty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic