Woman Drives into Phnom Penh Wat and Fires Two Gunshots

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Woman Drives into Phnom Penh Wat and Fires Two Gunshots

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: A Khmer woman, who has not been named, drove into Wat Saravan in Phnom Penh and fired off two gunshots this evening.
The incident occurred this evening at 6 pm on June 7, 2019, when a woman reportedly drove her Mazada vehicle into Wat Saravan in Daun Penh district of Phnom Penh, and took out a pistol before firing off two shots. Police forces surrounded the scene and persuaded the woman to hand over the gun to the police and to give herself up.
Police continue to question the woman, who is believed to be having a mental crisis.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Woman Drives into Phnom Penh Wat and Fires Two Gunshots

Post by Jerry Atrick »

That's a blank gun.

But I guess it could be converted for live firing.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 pm That's a blank gun.

But I guess it could be converted for live firing.
Well spotted.
Zoraki M906 Nickel - Semi Auto Front Firing 9mm Blank Gun
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Cheapskate crook? Or tech-freak hobbyist?

"The converted guns might not work very well. But they’re cheap, disposable and largely untraceable—all attractive features to would-be crooks and assassins
Not everyone who converts a blank-firing gun does so for criminal reasons. Some do it for the technical challenge. Others simply find it an interesting hobby."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think it was converted, you can see a bullet poking out of the magazine and the remains of a fired bullet in the guy's hand.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah, I was going to say that those rounds are real.

Unless they now make rounds that look like the real deal? That would be stupid/could easily lead to a serious mistake for obvious reasons. As far as I know, movie proppers make their own "fake rounds", though I suppose they're commercially available. Even then, I'm sure there would be some sort of clear signage on them else live and blanks accidentally get swapped.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I found a video of a guy in the US who converted one of those, it could fire quite rapidly, although I'd have doubts about its accuracy given the smooth barrel, or its efficiency in the long run. More of a Saturday night special than anything, but still potentially deadly.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE: The shooting may have been premeditated, because police report that the suspect bought the gun,a ZORAKI. M906 000126, for US $1500 in Thailand in April 2019. After urine tests by police, the woman is confirmed not to be a drug user, and she has been identified as Mrs. Phan Srey Lin, Female, 28 years old.
The motive for the shooting was to attack a monk named Soeun Piseth, 28, a Khmer national, living as a monk at the 23rd monastery in Wat Sarawan. Police are questioning him further over the true motive for the attack. Nobody was hurt in the shooting.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Does anybody have her phone number? I need a woman who can take direct action in my life.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

According to one Khmer news site on GF's FB, it was basically a breach of contract dispute. The lady had paid the monk to bless her business but the expected good fortune did not materialise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic