Reactions: Moving Abroad

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Reactions: Moving Abroad

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

So I'm curious what kind of things did your friends and family say or how did they react when you first told them you were moving abroad and how did you respond?

I.E.: Good for you! Congrats! I am so proud of you! That's awesome! You are going alone?! You are gonna be murdered! I am not coming over there and saving you. You are going to be kidnapped. You hate driving to the next town let alone going to another country. Better get in shape so you can outrun bad guys. You are going to end up married to an Asian man/have a biracial child. *crying*, *blank face* *thumbs up* etc.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Reactions: Moving Abroad

Post by Username Taken »

An elderly neighbor, who was concerned that I'd be ripped off somehow and tried to convince me not to go, told me that if I go she'll never speak to me again.

I haven't seen her since, so I guess she was right.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Sister - "Don't you think moving to SEA with a drug addiction is a little unwise?"
Junky Friend - "I'm coming as well."
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Bye then.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 pm So I'm curious what kind of things did your friends and family say or how did they react when you first told them you were moving abroad and how did you respond?
I first moved abroad not long after finishing high school, I was 17. My father, who had lived in London 20 years before, gave me some advice. Part of it was not to go near Brixton or Camden. I wasn't really trying to defy him but I was in both places on my first day. 8)

Silence, exile, and cunning.
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

"Why don't you go to Thailand instead ? It's not a $hithole like Cambodia, you will have running water and 24h electricity / internet ! Girls are pretty in Thailand also !"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

gaplem wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:03 am Why don't you go to Thailand instead ? It's not a $hithole like Cambodia, you will have running water and 24h electricity / internet ! Girls are pretty in Thailand also !
Girls are pretty in Cambodia too. O:-) But why do you assume that the OP fancies girls ? Lol. None of our business really.

Did you read the OP ?
You are going to end up married to an Asian man/have a biracial child.
As for the reaction from my parents when I left - I was 19 at the time - "Here's some money toward your ticket, but I've deducted the $200 you owe for the car crash." :D
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:04 am
gaplem wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:03 am Why don't you go to Thailand instead ? It's not a $hithole like Cambodia, you will have running water and 24h electricity / internet ! Girls are pretty in Thailand also !
Girls are pretty in Cambodia too. O:-) But why do you assume that the OP fancies girls ? Lol. None of our business really.

Did you read the OP ?
As for the reaction from my parents when I left - I was 19 at the time - "Here's some money toward your ticket, but I've deducted the $200 you owe for the car crash." :D

Read the OP again ? We are supposed to say what people told us, and yes, people around knew that Thailand is 100% better for anything, especially girls.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

gaplem wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 am

Did you read the OP ?

Read the OP again ? We are supposed to say what people told us, and yes, people around knew that Thailand is 100% better for anything, especially girls.
:thumb: Sorry, misread your post.

Was that your mates talking ? Depends what you are looking for I guess. "Better" is not always better for you.
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:37 am
gaplem wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 am

Did you read the OP ?

:thumb: Sorry, misread your post.

Was that your mates talking ? Depends what you are looking for I guess. "Better" is not always better for you.

Usually on top of skinny model style biatches, I think people know that Thailand is better for me :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic