Reactions: Moving Abroad

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: Reactions: Moving Abroad

Post by markd »

keep your head down
thru shit to more shit
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

My arsehole boss, when I emailed my resignation at the end of two weeks' annual leave in Cambodia, replied: "Feel free to never contact me again. I will reciprocate".
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

When I was 28 I got a big work pay-off in London, signal for me to get out the rat race so I bought a round the world ticket.

My best mate locked in the City grind which nearly killed him a few years later. “ What are you going to do when you come back ? “.
Me “ I’m not coming back “

After 6 months travel in SE Asia realised this was where I wanted to spend my life, went back and in 3 months got a great job in Indonesia. Positive reactions which weren’t quite the same when I went to work in Nigeria later for some reason. :D Africa has so many negative connotations for people who haven’t been there, but for me I feel lucky I had the chance to experience it for a decade.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The hard part was leaving my grown up kids, but worse still was the young grandchildren. Family excepted it, although I sensed it was hard on them.
Friends told me not to do it, and that I would lose everything. I tell you they may not be far from the truth.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I appreciate all the comments its cool to hear about other's experiences. I think sometimes you got to follow your heart no matter what anyone says. Props to everyone on here for taking a chance 👏
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Twenty years ago I visited a travel doctor in north London. I told her I was going to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia etc so needed some vaccines. She asked me why on Earth I was going to go to Cambodia, I would only get kidnapped and murdered. I guess it was a valid concern but I didn't let it put me off.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

I heard “pipe dream” quite a few times, LOL. I kept telling everybody those happen after you’re already in Cambodia.
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:37 pm Twenty years ago I visited a travel doctor in north London. I told her I was going to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia etc so needed some vaccines. She asked me why on Earth I was going to go to Cambodia, I would only get kidnapped and murdered. I guess it was a valid concern but I didn't let it put me off.
Yeah, clearly you made it bruh 😉🤙
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic