Rent a Room or Apartment in Siem Reap?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gerard
Tourist
Great Britain

Rent a Room or Apartment in Siem Reap?

Post by Gerard »

My very first time here in Siem Reap. I live in Thailand. I am here trying to find a job as an English teacher. If I happen to find a job I will be looking for somewhere to stay. What is the average price per month for an apartment to rent in Siem Reap or around Siem Reap? Any information anyone can give me, I would be very grateful. Thank you.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Rent a Room or Apartment in Siem Reap?

Post by TWY »

First let me preface this with the fact that I haven't really looked in over 2 years.

Unless you feel the need to live right near pub street, I believe you will find nice accomodations available in the $300-$500 range for a single person.

You have to give some thought to things like do you want to be in a building with a backup generator (if so, you will pay more). What activities do you do? If you golf there is a course and you'd want to be on that side of town. Will you drive your own moto? If so your range is a bit more than if the answer is no. Are you able/willing to walk up stairs or do you need something with elevator. Do you want a pool. Etc, etc.

Personally I'd recommend looking just across the river in the Wat Bo area or Sala Komreuk area. Once your 4-5 minutes away from the tourist area the rents drop. And the further out you go the lower they will go (as will the # of amenities).

There are really nice Western oriented places for $1000/month and up. But there is a large # of western oriented $300-$700 type apartments available. If your willing to live like a local and about 15 minutes out you can find rooms for $100 and even less if you had a Khmer person doing the negotiating. But those rooms will be very basic and unless your really comfortable in the setting I'd be cautious.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Rent a Room or Apartment in Siem Reap?

Post by xandreu »

I was always under the impression it was quite difficult finding work as an English teacher in Siem Reap? Maybe someone can correct me but it's partly why I've never considered moving there.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic