Gossipy Kampot expat teachers are fighting again

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Gossipy Kampot expat teachers are fighting again

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

DoRightByThem wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 pm
dontbeasourlemon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:55 pm
DoRightByThem wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:26 pm Can you get sued easily in Cambodia or something?
Sam Rainsy seems to be sued rather easily and frequently. According to one article, I found the highlights of which are

° Max fine of $2500
° Payment plans aren't always a thing so one could face jail time if they can't pay the lump sum
°All they have to do is prove that such libel tends to affect others and you can face charges for compensation so even though criminally you might face only a $2500 fine for your criminal ways compensation could be extremely pricey. In Rainsy's case he faced a million dollar damages claim.

Really it looks like some people/organizations use defamation as a weapon

I recommend you read this article if you are really interested it was a short and informative read https://thediplomat.com/2017/01/the-rea ... n-charges/
Wow. Kinda like America lol. Thanks Lemons!
No problem I am actually an American myself. It's terrible because we actually have an extremely high number of lawsuits versus population. I think it's around 5,000 lawsuits per 100,000 people with Britain over 3,000 per 100,000. Definitely, have the KoW beat 😂
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

For new posters. :dm: Otherwise, please ignore.

Free speech: Opposition and civil groups including NGOs are often threatened with law suits for defamation or incitement to cause trouble. People who annoy the government or their friends may be sued for thousands or millions of US$ for defamation. While Cambodians face jail time, foreigners can be excluded or barred from entering Cambodia.

This is an expat forum, not a political platform for any party. Do be careful of what you say about the authorities. Don't go wading in with your big boots. Don't be explicit. Avoid mentioning names. That said, with care and attention you can discuss most things.
Best thing to do is read through the forums here before you sound off. Most of time, it is more fruitful to engage the discussion on positive or negative opinions on events, rather than fix the blame on specific people or parties. Most CEO posters who are in Cambodia can work it out for themselves. You don't need to shout "So-and-so is an arsehole", just give us the facts and we will work it out for ourselves.

Not meaning to preach, but there seem to be quite few new posters joining the forum who are new to the Cambodian way of discussion . So, heads up. :newbie: All good.
Sorry OT. Everybody else can go back to sleep. :licker:
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:13 pm
DoRightByThem wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 pm
dontbeasourlemon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:55 pm
DoRightByThem wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:26 pm Can you get sued easily in Cambodia or something?
Sam Rainsy seems to be sued rather easily and frequently. According to one article, I found the highlights of which are

° Max fine of $2500
° Payment plans aren't always a thing so one could face jail time if they can't pay the lump sum
°All they have to do is prove that such libel tends to affect others and you can face charges for compensation so even though criminally you might face only a $2500 fine for your criminal ways compensation could be extremely pricey. In Rainsy's case he faced a million dollar damages claim.

I recommend you read this article if you are really interested it was a short and informative read https://thediplomat.com/2017/01/the-rea ... n-charges/
Wow. Kinda like America lol. Thanks Lemons!
No problem I am actually an American myself. It's terrible because we actually have an extremely high number of lawsuits versus population. I think it's around 5,000 lawsuits per 100,000 people with Britain over 3,000 per 100,000. Definitely, have the KoW beat 😂
Yeah everyone is on the hunt for free lunch around the globe. 😉 What r u doing in Camboland if u don’t mind me asking?
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Thanks for the advice Anchor Moy, I'll try to be careful with my wording. If anyone took my words as any sort of pointing finger or political stance I apologize. I don't know enough to judge nor do I want to publicly take sides in the Sam Rainsy case I just mention him as he seems to be a rather famous example of a lawsuit talking about possible defamation and libel.

I am also not trying to point out who is an arsehole or not again I don't know enough about the political situation in Cambodia to take any stances or guide anyone it was more of a general looks like you can get in trouble if you are not careful enough thing (which I will admit as you can see I could use a bit fine tuning myself.) I like the article on the basis that it talks about the laws and uses a real-world example to explain what can happen and help me better understand how the law may work versus in the States, rather than due to any political views. There are always people and organizations everywhere who may use laws and loopholes against you and Ijust think its best to be somewhat aware of it. Whether it's a case of justice, entitlement, revenge, malicious compliance or more (yes those are Reddit references). Hopefully, I'll pick up a more Cambodian PC way of taking soon 👍
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

I'm not actually in Cambodia yet I'm saving up a bit before heading out I'll be there sometime between late October and March depends when I feel I'm all set and can land some cheapish tickets 😂. I just like researching the heck out of things so I am somewhat prepared when I land I have a list with important stuff like recommended doctors, pharmacies, hospitals, and hair salons. I'm planning to do the typical expat thing and teach English which has actually been a dream that I never followed through with for way to long. Currently I'm finishing my TEFL, renewing my CPR and other certifications through the RedCross and thinking about looking into a few more things to beef up my resume while I get things set over here State side. How about yourself?
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 pm I'm not actually in Cambodia yet I'm saving up a bit before heading out I'll be there sometime between late October and March depends when I feel I'm all set and can land some cheapish tickets 😂. I just like researching the heck out of things so I am somewhat prepared when I land I have a list with important stuff like recommended doctors, pharmacies, hospitals, and hair salons. I'm planning to do the typical expat thing and teach English which has actually been a dream that I never followed through with for way to long. Currently I'm finishing my TEFL, renewing my CPR and other certifications through the RedCross and thinking about looking into a few more things to beef up my resume while I get things set over here State side. How about yourself?
I’m an idealist lol. I had a rough life (I’m from the Chicago area), and I guess I’m somewhat impervious to anxiety.
I wanted to de-mine in Cambodia, and couldn’t find a gig at first; still searching, but with better leads. I also completed a TEFL program, and I teach ESL to immigrants in the US. I’m also an animal fan lol. The wildlife is amazing.
I’d recommend checking out Fauna in Focus if you happen to be a shutterbug. Also on YouTube, in addition to FIF; there’s Dave Does Cambodia. He does a neat lil walk around and subject discussion and is good about answering questions especially with TEFL matters, visas, CV, banks, jobs etc

I wish you the best on your future journey.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Juicy
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Queef wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 am Typical... Dude shoulda pulled an Enron instead of playing Captain Kampot. Seems like he has no experience in the corporate world
I could have sworn it was a high strung 24-35 year old American woman who wrote this. What a putz.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

kritsana77 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:52 am
Queef wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 am Typical... Dude shoulda pulled an Enron instead of playing Captain Kampot. Seems like he has no experience in the corporate world
I could have sworn it was a high strung 24-35 year old American woman who wrote this. What a putz.
Damn you're good! My name is Skyler. I'm 29 and was born and raised in Windom, MN. I work for Merrill Lynch as a M&A Senior Financial Analyst.... :facepalm:

Is your name Simon by any chance?
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Hilarious. The OP is gossip in a gossip column called CEO about "Gossipy Kampot expat teachers are fighting again."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic