Has the Chinafication started in Kampot?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Has the Chinafication started in Kampot?

Post by Barang chgout »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Well, I'd like to say it hadn't, but then a Lexus with two well heeled Chinese folk pulled into my front yard and began measuring the place.

Just rented it a week ago!
Lol!
"It's NEVER going to happen in Kampot!".

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

To be fair, my landlord more or less told them to fuck off, as he isn't selling. But everything is for sale at the right price.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I hear Battambang is looking good.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yes, but it's full of evangelicals and cunts.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

rozzieoz wrote:I hear Battambang is looking good.
Lol!.....
She said Battambang,,, " looking good ".....
Rofl!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Here in Kep the Chinese started buying a lot of land as well. My khmer neighbour sold 4 pieces of land to them in the last 6 months. Don't really see a problem with it. My neighbours are happy and upgrading their and their children's houses now. I don't think the problem is the Chinese buying land or houses here, the problem is some people not honoring the lease agreements they made isn't it. You can't blame the Chinese for that.
just noise, white noise
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

whiteribbon wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:02 pm Here in Kep the Chinese started buying a lot of land as well. My khmer neighbour sold 4 pieces of land to them in the last 6 months. Don't really see a problem with it. My neighbours are happy and upgrading their and their children's houses now. I don't think the problem is the Chinese buying land or houses here, the problem is some people not honoring the lease agreements they made isn't it. You can't blame the Chinese for that.
But for many years Westerners in Cambodia have been signing 12 month apartment leases and then moving out after a few months and saying "keep my one month deposit." The landlords generally have no recourse to sue them for the remaining rent due for the entire term of the lease. So if long term tenants aren't really bound to pay rent for the entire term of the lease, why should landlords be bound to honor their end of the deal to allow the tenant to live there for the entire term?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

In theory, a business lease allows the tenants more protection than a basic occupant tenancy agreement.

In practice, depends on how much you assert and are aware of your rights while lubricating the machine slightly.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:23 pm
whiteribbon wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:02 pm Here in Kep the Chinese started buying a lot of land as well. My khmer neighbour sold 4 pieces of land to them in the last 6 months. Don't really see a problem with it. My neighbours are happy and upgrading their and their children's houses now. I don't think the problem is the Chinese buying land or houses here, the problem is some people not honoring the lease agreements they made isn't it. You can't blame the Chinese for that.
But for many years Westerners in Cambodia have been signing 12 month apartment leases and then moving out after a few months and saying "keep my one month deposit." The landlords generally have no recourse to sue them for the remaining rent due for the entire term of the lease. So if long term tenants aren't really bound to pay rent for the entire term of the lease, why should landlords be bound to honor their end of the deal to allow the tenant to live there for the entire term?
I do think there is a recourse but for most people the cost and hassle of going to court probably isn't worth it.
just noise, white noise
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

Ten years from now it’ll be like Sville. ☹️🤢
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic