Retirement planning

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Retirement planning

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I wouldn't consider moving to PP for 1200 per month.

That said, I have three dependants, but it doesn't leave much cushion.

Invest in a CELTA and bump your potential wage to near 3k per month, or explore getting a job in your field. It may pay much more than you think.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Personally, I'd consider at least working a few more years and setting up an emergency fund - say $20K or $25K before considering leaving the job and relocating overseas.
he's already got $230,000!!!!
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:09 pm I wouldn't consider moving to PP for 1200 per month.

That said, I have three dependants, but it doesn't leave much cushion.

Invest in a CELTA and bump your potential wage to near 3k per month, or explore getting a job in your field. It may pay much more than you think.
I'd love to hear how having a CELTA and where still teaching only English, will boost you to $3 grand/month, That's what teachers teaching with a masters or teaching credentials /experience make at international schools.

Its ur life, if ur really that unhappy with where you are and want a change, come over ( dont burn any bridges) and try it for 6 months, 1 year
if Cambodia doesn't suit you try, Thailand, Vietnam or just travel. Your not broke and you can always go back to the states>
Go for it, ignore the naysayers...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I know a number of people who were making two four plus with a degree and celta a number of years back, and I guess they make more now.

Not my job, but I know or knew a pretty broad group of English teachers here. I wouldn't know about Phuket.
sobajoe
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by sobajoe »

Why do some posters reply with information that is total B.S to anyone who has stayed in PP any length of time.
I refer specifically to the poster who claims $1200 a month covers the basics and a fan room for $200, and they ask would you really want to live that way.

Really, a fan ROOM - now that doesn't sound very good , I mean a SINGLE ROOM and just a fan.
Let me consider some of the places I stayed, and found so easily it was laughable, during my last two, yearly consecutive trips of 6 and 4 months .

First on the list- a large 1 bedroom apartment , separate bathroom , separate kitchen , closed parking for moto , gorgeous private balcony overlooking the street in a quiet safe area about a mile from the Russian market - free, good internet, but NO aircon $150.

Second on the list. A decent sized semidetached Bungalow in Kampot - like a large studio apartment with a separate Bathroom and a huge car port attached which was as big as the bungalow and which most of the other residents had converted to a kitchen area. Had ice cold air con for $120

My latest, a 1 bed apartment near PP airport ( don't hear the planes. ) Great balcony , 24 hour security , shared swimming pool , free internet and cable TV, huge living area and very nicely furnished down to the washing machine , private underground parking . $300 - not a budget blower for a teacher making $1200.

The savings the OP has and his qualifications make it a perfectly viable plan for him to bug out now and to teach until he decides he's ready to use his savings.

Would you like teaching ?-do you like what you're doing now and where you're doing it ?

My time so far in Cambodia has taught me that a $1000 a moth is a very comfortable single persons budget even in PP, and which will allow you a far better lifestyle than most of our home countries. The caveat is a single person. Actually , a single , sensible and disciplined person.

I would not want to take on any financial burdens family or business. Leave that for the fools. Work , earn , enjoy to yourself.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

sobajoe wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 pm Why do some posters reply with information that is total B.S to anyone who has stayed in PP any length of time.
I refer specifically to the poster who claims $1200 a month covers the basics and a fan room for $200, and they ask would you really want to live that way.

Really, a fan ROOM - now that doesn't sound very good , I mean a SINGLE ROOM and just a fan.
Let me consider some of the places I stayed, and found so easily it was laughable, during my last two, yearly consecutive trips of 6 and 4 months .

First on the list- a large 1 bedroom apartment , separate bathroom , separate kitchen , closed parking for moto , gorgeous private balcony overlooking the street in a quiet safe area about a mile from the Russian market - free, good internet, but NO aircon $150.

Second on the list. A decent sized semidetached Bungalow in Kampot - like a large studio apartment with a separate Bathroom and a huge car port attached which was as big as the bungalow and which most of the other residents had converted to a kitchen area. Had ice cold air con for $120

My latest, a 1 bed apartment near PP airport ( don't hear the planes. ) Great balcony , 24 hour security , shared swimming pool , free internet and cable TV, huge living area and very nicely furnished down to the washing machine , private underground parking . $300 - not a budget blower for a teacher making $1200.

The savings the OP has and his qualifications make it a perfectly viable plan for him to bug out now and to teach until he decides he's ready to use his savings.

Would you like teaching ?-do you like what you're doing now and where you're doing it ?

My time so far in Cambodia has taught me that a $1000 a moth is a very comfortable single persons budget even in PP, and which will allow you a far better lifestyle than most of our home countries. The caveat is a single person. Actually , a single , sensible and disciplined person.

I would not want to take on any financial burdens family or business. Leave that for the fools. Work , earn , enjoy to yourself.
tbh my last apartment in PP was $200 per month w/ Aircon, separate kitchen/bathroom, own washing machine, no balcony though, bills roughly $20-30p/m
its possible to live cheaply and happily sure, i wouldnt call it living very comfortably though,
im not high maintenance its my social life which eats all my cash though :plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

sobajoe wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 pm Why do some posters reply with information that is total B.S to anyone who has stayed in PP any length of time.

I don't question your numbers, but besides price location is factor. Living in Pochentong in your fancy apartment and travel into the city every day ain't fun.

1000$ a month allows for for a kind of comfortable single person's lifestyle if your exclude trips back home, accidents happening (driving your moto in the door of a car for instance), medical expenses, and saving some money (although maybe no need with 230k in investments.......
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

You can retire on that little in the KOW? Most retirement calculators I’m looking at recommend 1-2 million in IRAs before going into retirement. I should achieve that somewhere when I’m 120-150 years old.

Great thread.
Keep the retirement ideas coming...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Retirement calculators??

Get a grip. :stir:
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

the biggest outlay will probably be the girls

have you included 10 to 20 barfines per month + ancillary inducements in your calculations :beer3: :beer3:
thru shit to more shit
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Post by Bibi »

Stay in your country until you get your full pension. Then, move to Cambodia, put your 230,000$ in a good bank or MFI (some have European or Canadian shareholders which make them safer). MFIs like Amret will give 7.5% p.a. on a 3 years commitment and can pay the interest monthly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic