Malis Restaurant review

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Malis Restaurant review

Post by Pedroviera »

Service was good. Waiters attentive but not annoyingly so. Party of 4. Food was very good authentic and got good cambodian/relatives reviews. I didn't have seafood but chicken, sauces great. Portions too small. After drinking my 6.50usd angkor bottle beer I had 2 hard drinks. The shot of vodka was on the gunish, measured, very small amount booze same as mIxed drink. One guy on a runner could easy eat/drink 150usd alone here I think..... Atmosphere above average, good, but not exceptional. All Chinese customers we only Cambodian/American I saw..... Even if wealthy, it would be hard to return cuz small portions and weak drinks. It almost kills the vibe when guests not even paying see the bill. I tipped ImageImagebut with 15% coming off the top service charges vat it's not easy. The sticker price is just too high. I'm thankful the food was good. Friend worked there before said never see the same local family twice. They like the food but price way to much.... Forgot food pictures. Well be trying other suggested restaurant next week. One of the cheaper ones and compare/review
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Malis Restaurant review

Post by armchairlawyer »

I love that, 3cl Stoli. A 100cl bottle costs them $8, they are selling it for 3.80x33=$125.40 plus 15% bs(18.80) comes to a total of $144.40, or 18 times cost.
Most bars here serve 5cl shots, some only 4cl.
Who had the Crab Curry? I wouldn't invite her next time.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Post by Bibi »

I find this restaurant overpriced. You can get the same food quality and a nicer atmosphere in many other places as mentioned in the post about Khmer restaurants. The atmosphere is too business oriented for me.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:08 pm I love that, 3cl Stoli. A 100cl bottle costs them $8, they are selling it for 3.80x33=$125.40 plus 15% bs(18.80) comes to a total of $144.40, or 18 times cost.
Most bars here serve 5cl shots, some only 4cl.
Who had the Crab Curry? I wouldn't invite her next time.
Not issue on ordering the crab for mom. One sister can read english/khmer and ordered mostly. Easily could have been 3 lobsters 10 drinks 3 waters (not me) , 3 appetizers and desert could been much worse. They had the sincere ok from me and knew it . I'm just thankful tasted good .... But man drinks were weak and portions are small ... Maybe Japan all you can eat buffet grill next time and B. Y. O. B
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Lost Tastes: Chef Meng Luu and Malis Siem Reap Bring Cambodian Cuisine Back to Life
WRITTEN BY Simon N. Ostheimer
PUBLISHED ON August 5, 2019

“When you dine at Malis, not only are you savoring the very best of Cambodian cuisine, you are also consuming an important story,” says Malis’ Director Loumpheany Preap.

She explains that during the country’s dark 1970s period under Khmer Rouge rule, many of Cambodia’s traditional recipes, which had been passed down verbally for centuries from generation to generation, were forgotten and vanished from local kitchens. “Malis was born out of the desire to restore Cambodian cuisine to its former glory, and put the country back on the global map as a culinary destination, by combining passion, history and creativity.”

Before the first branch of Malis opened in Phnom Penh in 2004, there were no high-end Cambodian restaurants. To sample the kingdom’s cuisine, you had to either eat on the street, or be invited into someone’s home. A quarter century after the fall of the Khmer Rouge, Malis arrived with the mission of gathering together locals and visitors alike to share their passion for food—a further 12 years later, the restaurant came to Siem Reap.

The kitchen at Malis Siem Reap, the city famed for the ruins of Angkor, is helmed by Master Chef Meng Luu, with a mission of ‘bringing Cambodian cuisine back to life.’ Before opening the restaurant, Chef Luu spent six months traveling throughout Cambodia’s 25 provinces, varied terrain that covers everything from misty mountains on the border with Thailand, to coastal seas facing the islands of Vietnam. “My goal was to discover the lost recipes, and the best place to find them was directly in the households, where traditions have been preserved. The aim was to learn from these custodians of traditional techniques and recipes, and then make the public aware of how truly rich Cambodian cuisine still is.”

Given a lack of wider general knowledge about local dishes, especially when compared to that of its neighboring countries, which boast globally famous dishes such as pad Thai, and pho, what exactly defines Cambodian food? “All our dishes are based on kroeung,” says Luu, “a traditional blend of herbs and spices that is ground together to form a curry paste used in cooking—just like butter or cream is used by the French.” Much like adobo in the Philippines though, the recipe for kroeung differs not only from restaurant to restaurant, but even house to house. “There is no one secret recipe used by everyone,” Luu says, “so it depends on your taste; if you prefer a bit more lemongrass, chili, coconut, and so on.”
https://www.remotelands.com/travelogues ... k-to-life/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Malis in Phnom Penh is seen as a status symbol by some Khmer. Missus friend goes to Malis every few weeks to about once a month. When he goes he take lots of selfies and proudly posts on Facebook, proclaiming that he’s ‘made it’.

The other days? He shows up at missus house to share the dinner she’s cooked. Why? Because now he’s broke from going to Malis (and spending on a myriad of other stuff like that).

I could never understand why some Khmer try so hard to live beyond their means.
independencequarter
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by independencequarter »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:02 am Malis in Phnom Penh is seen as a status symbol by some Khmer. Missus friend goes to Malis every few weeks to about once a month. When he goes he take lots of selfies and proudly posts on Facebook, proclaiming that he’s ‘made it’.

The other days? He shows up at missus house to share the dinner she’s cooked. Why? Because now he’s broke from going to Malis (and spending on a myriad of other stuff like that).

I could never understand why some Khmer try so hard to live beyond their means.
That's definitely not a Khmer thing. Have you seen how the word is running? Instagram is the only thing that matters. People live miserable lives but their Instagrams look like they're living life. I went to Malis once and it was probably my first and last time. Not that it was bad, but just not worth it. I've eaten way better Khmer food at places that do not charge a ton for 3 cl of vodka.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

The Missus and I went to Malis once when we were 'dating' about 10 years ago. I ordered a smoked aubergine dish, which I enjoyed. Unfortunately, when it came she told me that it was an 'ordinary' dish that any and every Cambodian home cook can make. She must have made it for me 40 or 50 times since then, never once forgetting to mention how much it cost at Malis and prompting me to favourably compare her efforts. I agree the atmosphere is great, but we join the ranks of once was enough.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Note the Malis in Kep is not the same as the one in PP or SR
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

"
She explains that during the country’s dark 1970s period under Khmer Rouge rule, many of Cambodia’s traditional recipes, which had been passed down verbally for centuries from generation to generation, were forgotten and vanished from local kitchens"
I am so tired of hearing this bs
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic