Western Woman Pulled From Tuk-tuk in Angkor Wat Bag Snatch

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Western Woman Pulled From Tuk-tuk in Angkor Wat Bag Snatch

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News (Siem Reap): On May 28, 2019, in the early morning, an unidentified western woman was injured after getting her bag snatched in the Angkor Wat area of Siem Reap.

Before the incident, the victim and her friend called a tuk-tuk to pick them up at the hotel to see the sunrise in Angkor Wat. The victim said that the tuk-tuk driver took the two women a different way, and that she was asking the tuk-tuk driver why he took them that way, when suddenly, three suspects on a motorbike came to snatch her bag. In the attack, the woman was pulled out of the moving tuk-tuk on to the road. She was shocked and quite hurt, but it could have been even worse.

After the robbery, the woman went to file a complaint at the police station in that area, but for some reason, the police told her that they were unable to help her. The victim lost a passport and some documents.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Western Woman Pulled From Tuk-tuk in Angkor Wat Bag Snatch

Post by explorer »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:08 pm After the robbery, the woman went to file a complaint at the police station in that area, but for some reason, the police told her that they were unable to help her.
It is likely the police and criminals are working together, or the criminals are paying off the police.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by NeverNude »

Obviously the tuktuk driver went the wrong way because that was the robbery plan. Nobody got the tuktuk drivers license plate or info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

NeverNude wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:31 pm Obviously the tuktuk driver went the wrong way because that was the robbery plan. Nobody got the tuktuk drivers license plate or info?
I agree. In most cases the tuk tuk driver is also involved.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

When people rob others and dont care if they are seriously injured or killed, this is really sick. If the tuk tuk driver and police are all in on it, this is a sick society.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

explorer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:36 pm
NeverNude wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:31 pm Obviously the tuktuk driver went the wrong way because that was the robbery plan. Nobody got the tuktuk drivers license plate or info?
I agree. In most cases the tuk tuk driver is also involved.
In most cases? This is certainly not a common occurrence in Temple Town.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
police caught 2 of them
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 pm When people rob others and dont care if they are seriously injured or killed, this is really sick. If the tuk tuk driver and police are all in on it, this is a sick society.
Your jumps in logic and reasoning are astounding.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: Two arrests.
SIEM REAP, Cambodia News - On 29 May 2019, the Siem Reap authorities organized a line-up of five suspected bag-snatchers at the police station. The victim of the crime, an unnamed Iranian woman tourist, picked out the two suspects who were riding the motorbike that attacked their tuk-tuk. The suspects, who are also unnamed, were then apprehended by Siem Reap police.

The Iranian woman and her friend said that they saw the suspects hanging around the Angkor Wat ticket office when they went early on the morning of 26 May to buy tickets to see the sunrise. After the women had purchased their tickets, the tuk-tuk driver then left in the wrong direction. Then the same two suspicious characters from the ticket office drove up on their motorbike, alongside the tuk-tuk, and snatched the woman's handbag. The woman tried to resist the attack and was injured when she was pulled out of the tuk-tuk.
After learning of the situation and receiving complaints on social media, the Chief of the Commanding Unit of Siem Reap administration ordered his forces to investigate and catch the criminals. In addition, the governor of Siem Reap has said that he will be responsible for the cost of the women's living expenses, including hospitality and welfare costs and air tickets to Bangkok.The authorities continue to search for the material loss (presumably the woman's bag.)
The Iranian woman thanked the provincial authorities and the police force for their efforts to track down the suspects, and requested the police to find all the missing documents, especially her passport which contains a visa for Canada.
The woman also expressed her regrets that media outlets have published interviews and photos of her battered face because it will be upsetting for her teenage daughter.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

I wonder how many minutes the 2 criminals were held in police custody before being released back into public.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic