Western Woman Pulled From Tuk-tuk in Angkor Wat Bag Snatch

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Western Woman Pulled From Tuk-tuk in Angkor Wat Bag Snatch

Post by explorer »

Tarndog wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 pm Explorer, don't you know it's wrong to complain about Cambodian criminals? There are a couple very active members here on CEO who remind us of that all the time.

It's only ok to criticize tourists and expats because those people just are hanging in the wrong crowd, and haven't managed to surround themselves with the abundance of upstanding, respectful, hard- working, honest Cambodians.
I agree. It is pretty sick, some of the things said on this forum. We should say all Cambodians are good, and all Westerners are bad. Of course, the Cambodians that are bad, have a good excuse; the war. This excuse will be used for the next 100 years.

Actually, some of these people dont actually believe that. They just like disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

However, crime will have to be reigned in.
xandreu wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:50 pm Angkor Wat is Cambodia's cash cow, and if word starts getting around that not only is it unsafe, but the police couldn't care less what happens to the tourists who keep it going, it would have a massive impact on tourism for the country. It's the main reason most people visit here.
I believe a lot less tourists come to Cambodia now, because of what is known already. If crime gets worse, more people will stay away.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:27 pm
Tarndog wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 pm Explorer, don't you know it's wrong to complain about Cambodian criminals? There are a couple very active members here on CEO who remind us of that all the time.

It's only ok to criticize tourists and expats because those people just are hanging in the wrong crowd, and haven't managed to surround themselves with the abundance of upstanding, respectful, hard- working, honest Cambodians.
I agree. It is pretty sick, some of the things said on this forum. We should say all Cambodians are good, and all Westerners are bad. Of course, the Cambodians that are bad, have a good excuse; the war. This excuse will be used for the next 100 years.

Actually, some of these people dont actually believe that. They just like disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

However, crime will have to be reigned in.
xandreu wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:50 pm Angkor Wat is Cambodia's cash cow, and if word starts getting around that not only is it unsafe, but the police couldn't care less what happens to the tourists who keep it going, it would have a massive impact on tourism for the country. It's the main reason most people visit here.

I believe a lot less tourists come to Cambodia now, because of what is known already. If crime gets worse, more people will stay away.
Year International visitors to Cambodia
1993 118,183
1994 176,617
1995 219,680
1996 260,489
1997 218,843
1998 286,524
1999 367,743
2000 466,365
2001 604,919
2002 786,524
2003 701,014
2004 1,055,202
2005 1,421,615
2006 1,700,041
2007 2,015,128
2008 2,125,465
2009 2,161,577
2010 2,508,289
2011 2,881,862
2012 3,584,307
2013 4,210,165
2014 4,502,775
2015 4,775,231
2016 5,011,712
2017 5,602,157
Actually there are more people visiting Cambodia each year not less.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:40 pm Actually there are more people visiting Cambodia each year not less.
Find statistics on the number of people visiting Cambodia compared to the number of people visiting other Asian countries.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tefl online pro »

Please, please, please. When taking a tuc tuc, make sure that your belongings are strapped to you. Pepper spray is an excellent deterrent for theft.
A few years ago I heard about thieves grabbing rucksacks off tourists as they were speeding up to Victory Hill. Many of these cases ended in severe injuries and of course loss of possessions. My heart goes out to this British woman and I hope she was able to claim back some of her stolen belongings.
There are a lot of desperate youngsters in Cambodia with empty bank accounts and yaba addictions. My personal experience of Cambodians have been that they are genuine people with an awesome sense of humor. It can happen anywhere, but of course when it happens away from home then it becomes more psychologically devastating. I wonder if the British Embassy helped her at all. Doubt it very much.
Get qualified to teach English abroad with https://teflonlinepro.com/
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Quote:''I wonder if the British Embassy helped her at all. Doubt it very much.''
She is from Iran, why should the British Embassy help her?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"a lot of desperate youngsters in Cambodia with empty bank accounts"

Are you actually on the ground here? These low life thieves can't even spell bank account.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:40 pm Actually there are more people visiting Cambodia each year not less.
Find statistics on the number of people visiting Cambodia compared to the number of people visiting other Asian countries.
In 2018 Cambodia experienced the third largest increase in international tourists in Asean, behind only Vietnam and Indonesia, according to data recently released by the Ministry of Tourism.

Last year, the number of international tourists visiting the Kingdom grew by 11 percent, a rate surpassed only by Indonesia, where foreign tourist arrivals grew by 11.6 percent, and Vietnam, who saw a 19.9 increase.

A total of 6.2 million foreign visitors travelled to the Kingdom last year, making Cambodia the seventh most visited country by international tourists in 2018. Laos, Myanmar, Brunei ranked eighth, ninth and tenth, respectively.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/570963/cam ... st-growth/

Now that I have done as you so politely asked, kindly show me statistics from a credible source that shows Cambodia receiving fewer tourists than the year before as you claim.
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tefl online pro »

In response to my error, I didn't realize at first that she was an Iranian citizen. Although she would probably have received as much assistance from the British embassy as a UK citizen would have :)

And yes, I know Cambodia quite well. I have taught at orphanages here and once walked across the country, following the main highways of course.

I was in Koh Kong earlier this week and have the psychological scars to prove it :)

Let's all hope that the Iranian mission then in Hanoi can help her out should she have lost her travel documents.
Get qualified to teach English abroad with https://teflonlinepro.com/
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

explorer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 pm
That has nothing to do with your original statement purporting that tourist numbers are down when they are clearly not. As to other Asian countries: Laos 3.3 million, Myanmar 2.8 million.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

tefl online pro wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:09 am In response to my error, I didn't realize at first that she was an Iranian citizen. Although she would probably have received as much assistance from the British embassy as a UK citizen would have :)

And yes, I know Cambodia quite well. I have taught at orphanages here and once walked across the country, following the main highways of course.

I was in Koh Kong earlier this week and have the psychological scars to prove it :)

Let's all hope that the Iranian mission then in Hanoi can help her out should she have lost her travel documents.
me thinks you missed this post....

post334237.html#p334237

(I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.......)

were you there too? :beer2:

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic