Brooklyn Pizza good review

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Brooklyn Pizza good review

Post by John Bingham »

cambo swa wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm "Best I've had in Cambodia after 6 attempts or so."

Best in Cambodia does not equal good pizza. Our standards and taste buds get dulled the longer we are here. You pay that much for a good pizza pie in New York City. Pizza? Beer? Hamburger? Salad? Steak? But what choice do we have? Stick with Khmer food.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

You pay that much for a good pizza pie in New York City
virtually all of the ingredients are imported so why would you expect otherwise?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:24 pm
virtually all of the ingredients are imported so why would you expect otherwise?
Some people think Cambodia is undeveloped and therefore everything should be dirt cheap. Without getting too much into problems with infrastructure, refrigeration, custom controls etc Some of the overheads are lower but the cost/ availability of quality ingredients isn't one of them. You can't compare the relative ease that any place in NYC can get a whole range of fresh, quality product from a range of competitive suppliers and the way it works here. Restaurants that do any particular specialties here often have to import the hard to get ingredients themselves.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

They should stick to pork rice or prahoc
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Brooklyn was one of my favorites. Larry’s pesto pizza was my top choice.

I’m here in NYC/NJ now and the pizza is awesome. What’s lacking to make it this good in Cambodia? The ingredients, water or expertise?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I went last summer.. I live and grew up in Brooklyn... I enjoyed it and it is better then most Pizza I had in cambo. It's def not like NYC pizza.. no way.. but the attempt is fair. Also the staff is good. There was some black dude who works there -- He is on point with customer service and making people feel comfortable. I brought my Cambodian friend and he enjoyed it.

The waitress was able to translate for him. Another strange thing tho. We went again and brought his daughter and gf. They all spoke in khmer-- i wanted them to have a good experience etc .. pizza comes-- turns out his kid didn't like 1 or 2 of the items on the pizza... It bothered me that he didn't confirm that what his daughter would like the toppings he had chosen .

Last thing.. Guess some church group was there. All of a sudden like 10- 15 people sitting down and started praying loudly.. i was like wtf....
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 pm
Some people think Cambodia is undeveloped and therefore everything should be dirt cheap. Without getting too much into problems with infrastructure, refrigeration, custom controls etc Some of the overheads are lower but the cost/ availability of quality ingredients isn't one of them. You can't compare the relative ease that any place in NYC can get a whole range of fresh, quality product from a range of competitive suppliers and the way it works here. Restaurants that do any particular specialties here often have to import the hard to get ingredients themselves.
Mr Bingham, I always thought you were one of the most clever and succint members of CEO. "Some people think Cambodia is underdeveloped..."? Am I misunderstanding you? You think Cambodia is not underdeveloped, especially in the quality and safety of food? I pray every night that when I wake up in the morning that I am not puking or shitting out everything I ate the night before. Maybe because my immune system has come to understand where I live.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Everybody knows you can just pick an item and compare it to a completely different economy to decide if it's fair or not. What market? Just find the cheapest price and demand it everywhere.

That's why I pay New York prices for bananas in Cambodia. They taste better so they should cost the same or more. Economy 101
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

cambo swa wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:07 am
John Bingham wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 pm
Mr Bingham, I always thought you were one of the most clever and succint members of CEO. "Some people think Cambodia is underdeveloped..."? Am I misunderstanding you? You think Cambodia is not underdeveloped, especially in the quality and safety of food? I pray every night that when I wake up in the morning that I am not puking or shitting out everything I ate the night before. Maybe because my immune system has come to understand where I live.
You're eating in the wrong places. I haven't had food poisoning in at least 4 years.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

If you have been here for 2 years and you are still puking and shitting it may be time to rethink your location. Obviously Cambodia and you aren't getting along.

Johnny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic