Asia airbnb

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Asia airbnb

Post by Pedroviera »

Used airbnb in USA much. Never in Asia. Mostly overpriced. Too many guesthouses and good value motels. Decided to book out of convenience for a stay in phnom Penh (favorite 2 motels raised rates and no generator). If you used airbnb before very good for customer service when you complain. Coupons, refunds, ect. Make sure you document evidence of your if bad experience quickly (make video) Reps have always been native English speakers.... So we rented High-rise apartment with a view , OK area, modern but small (newer building) ... Booked for a week... Had excellant perfect 10+ reviews....The bad? Water does not get hot. Construction literally room next door. 2 towels for one week. Advertised smart TV is not a smart TV (didn't care whatever)... Very stylish decorated but hands down the absolute cheapest worst small bed and pillows I've ever used in asia. But #1 complaint there was a note when arriving that said please no eating in (including no takeout from restaurant, no snacks) condo cuz of bugs. Has anyone here ever experienced this? Are we supposed to be Eating out every meal, no takeout, no snacks? Wow.......i immediately contact owner (not on site) politely said no food not an option. We travel with rice cooker and eggs vegetables. No smelly foods. Owner relented but not happy.... The old lady beyond pissed. She loves to cook and not eat out. And doesn't like the idea of woman owner not allow cooking. We won't be extending.... The building is very quiet, the view is great, immaculately clean. World class aircon and building has generator. Security good. Free gym. Awesome staff, insisted on carrying many heavy bags, greets us everytime, smiling and happy, will go and get coffee or run errands cheaply. Tries to time construction with our coming and going, very considerate... We paid18 bucks a night. But the nocooking rule initially killed the vibe. Spouse will not get over it, makes the other smaller things much worse..... Safe to say I couldof got a voucher /and or leave early from airbnb but I chose to wait it out (10 days) The great staff played big part in deciding to stay.... But No food in apartment wasn't posted in listing. I can't imagine anyone renting if it was.... Back to guesthouses and motels next time.... Rant over!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Asia airbnb

Post by armchairlawyer »

Location?
$18 sounds a good price if the location was good. The poor quality bed would be a big problem, however. I wonder if the reviews were legit.
Presumably it had a small kitchen? It sure is weird to ban all foods. It'll take a while for Khmers to get the hang of airbnb.
I have used airbnb to rent studio condos in Manila, they were small but much better value than the hotels there.
It's funny how in your case, the only things that worked well were the things the owner didn't control!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

FYI:
for Thailand , airbnb rentals are illegal unless its for stays of over 30 days
although nobody seems to care or do anything.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Good grief you're bitching about an $18 apartment? %)
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 am FYI:
Ya I dealt with owner direct in Thailand. BUT other side of huge building mostly airbnb. They paying twice as much as me and had ktv to listen to nightly. Several airbnb renters complained to owner direct (not airbnb customer service) and owner gave refund or big discount in lieu of not posting a bad review. Many owners (even in Thailand) know bad ratings means game over for many users airbnb.... Your right about many owners ignoring law I can't figure it out
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

airbnb illegal in Singapore also but there are lots of them
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 am FYI:
Yes Uncle. You don't have any issues in Udon etc You may have in On Nut.

PP has some interesting options, although the issue always seems to be property accessibility.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic