Renew Cambodia Driving License?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Renew Cambodia driving license

Post by Brody »

whatwat wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:50 am Years ago
Ok....... but I'd still like to hear Clemens recent experiences.
Clemen wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:15 pm they were much more strict this year.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Brody wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:20 am
The first bit of my post is a recent experience.

You’re welcome.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Brody wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:43 am
Clemen wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:15 pm N.B. I just got all of our vehicles inspected, they were much more strict this year. Problems that previously passed were flagged, with 1 month to fix and recheck for a pass.
Clemen, our car is due for inspection next month.

Any tips or bits of wisdom to impart on the process of having it done?

What was the cost and is it still being done at the facility waaaaaay out in the North-West part of town?
There are testing centres in different areas.
There is one near my office which I’d didn’t even realise was there until they had the big panic earlier this years when they increased fines and suddenly everyone had to go do a vehicle test.

I’m told there are a quite a few around the city, ask a local in your area and they’ll tell you.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

khmerhamster wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:31 am
Brody wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:43 am
Clemen wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:15 pm N.B. I just got all of our vehicles inspected, they were much more strict this year. Problems that previously passed were flagged, with 1 month to fix and recheck for a pass.
Clemen, our car is due for inspection next month.

Any tips or bits of wisdom to impart on the process of having it done?

What was the cost and is it still being done at the facility waaaaaay out in the North-West part of town?
There are testing centres in different areas.
There is one near my office which I’d didn’t even realise was there until they had the big panic earlier this years when they increased fines and suddenly everyone had to go do a vehicle test.

I’m told there are a quite a few around the city, ask a local in your area and they’ll tell you.
Thanks..........I was wondering if that was the case. I see signs for one down the road from my house. I'll swing by and see if they handle hoi polloi automobiles there or not.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I had problems from day one on the process of obtaining my Cambodian licence, it started at the Sangkat on trying to obtain the residency certificate, this apparently is a must to have, on either taking the physical driving test, or licence exchange, it also must state the purposes on the certificate/order.
Twice I had been to the local Sangkat and turned away, it turned out that they wanted me to go to that of another police authority, I had word also the cost that they required was $70 to $100 and then I would take that paper and be expected to return to the Sangkat for residency certificate at a cost of $30. I know there is inflation and the odd palm on occasions to grease, but this goes over the tea monies stage, last time I got this done it cost me 10,000reil in good donation. There will be the cost of the licence to come next too, whichever way I would decide on obtaining it. But by now I didn't fancy the unnecessary talking of a test, that too involved hiring a bike over 125cc and manual gears for my purpose of obtaining a large bike licence.
Then someone mentioned "call Kim". Motorcycle and car licence was delivered to me on the same day.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:13 pm Then someone mentioned "call Kim". Motorcycle and car licence was delivered to me on the same day.
How much did you pay?
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Brody wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:20 am
Sorry, I haven’t logged in for a bit.
We have a 1 ton truck, we got denied renewal for a small crack in the windscreen, that has passed two previous inspections, passengers side, hasn’t progressed.
Partially obstructed rear license plate, previously passed three inspections.
We were given 30 days to fix them. I wasn’t actually involved, except to drive the truck there, one of my Cambodian coworkers actually went through the process. I asked him if he was given the option to “fix” it. He was emphatic that it wasn’t possible this year. And he’s good at “fixing” things.
This was all in snooky, so it may be different in other places.
up to you...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

ssian wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:18 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:13 pm Then someone mentioned "call Kim". Motorcycle and car licence was delivered to me on the same day.
How much did you pay?
I paid a very fair and reasonable price for a first-class service. Also, under the price it was looking like it was going to cost me by going through the normal bureaucracy of departments, officials and none officials, this instance with palms outspread, too an over price of tea monies, and unnecessary extra leg work for myself. Normally I would bite the bullet and follow what we are supposed to do, but I tried this and you could say the departments were not following their rules, nor playing fair. Then there are possible discrepancies, such has paperwork missing information, (such, specific for obtaining driving licence), if say this was not added, then I could be refused at the licensing department, then having to wait 3 months to apply for another residency certificate, (more headache and monies).
But I do stress over past years I have sort and accumulated paperwork from various departments, but this time became a difficult task for some reason. One other thing I was to read from someone, when you exchange your own countries driving licence you may (like them) have to prove the validity of the groups on your license, such has engine size of motorcycle, this point also, it is known someone was refused the exchange because their country licence stated " motorcycle" and not "moto".
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

from a post today on FB

New Driving Test Location and Procedure:
Here’s a summary of what I found when trying to take my motorcycle >125cc (A) driving test this week along with a description of how I was told the new procedure will work when testing commences again:
Day 1 –
Arrived in Phnom Penh at the old Department of Public Works and Transport test center (around 4km north of town). The site is closed and being demolished/renovated/rebuilt. Security directed me to a temporary test facility which is a just few hundred meters further out of PP.
The staff at the temporary center said I could not do the test there. A few passapp drivers arrived to do their tests (also motorcycle type A). I asked the staff about this. They spoke no English and said they did not test foreigners there so I had to go elsewhere. They weren’t sure where but told me it was far away (it is) and near a bridge (it isn’t). I can’t confirm whether the Khmer Passapp drivers managed to get their tests done but it may be possible there for Khmer citizens. They seemed unsure themselves. For foreigners, don’t waste any time going there.
I then went to the Dept of Transport office at AEON 2 where my body temp was measured at 35C I told them that this meant I was seriously ill or dead but they let me in anyway. They informed me that the new testing center is at the site of the old Heavy Vehicle Testing Facility on NH5. This is currently listed on Google Maps as HEAVY TRUCK TRAINING CENTER.
The AEON staff were very helpful and checked my application documents so I didn’t waste another night in PP unnecessarily. They also called ahead to the new test center checking I could do the theory test the following morning and booked me in.
While I was there, they were still processing 1 year licenses as usual. Progress at AEON 2 is currently slow due to distancing policies so allow plenty of time. I was 6th or 8th in line. Around 2 hours wait.
Day 2 –
I arrived at new test center ahead of the 8am opening time. It’s a newly built, modern facility 20km north of PP on NH5. It has no signs currently but is easy to spot and next to a large red/white electricity pylon.
The center had various auto and manual cars and bikes available if you don’t bring your own
The first employee to arrive told me the AEON office called yesterday and had booked me in already and I could do both theory and practical tests that day.
After waiting 60-90 mins a manager told me they were doing no testing this week. I would have to come back to PP and be tested next week.
Having been given the runaround already I asked how certain it was they could test me if I travelled back again to PP next week. I was told absolutely, definitely, 100% without any doubt.
I went through the registration/booking procedure with her staff, paid for and completed the medical and paid for the test and booked it for Mon 21st.
Once this procedure was done and paid, they changed their minds and told me that they will be doing no tests until further notice due to ministry guidelines on COVID and definitely not until next year.
The staff at the new office did not seem competent and often contradicted each other. Perhaps newly recruited or only trained in heavy truck tests for HGV drivers. The manager was particularly unhelpful and unaccommodating. To put it politely, she did not seem well suited to a career in public service.
In the end, they said they will call me sometime next year when testing resumes so I can book a date to do the test. After running around 4 DoT offices over 2 days I left the center with no test, no license and $27.50 out of pocket.
It's currently a mess due to the location change, new procedures, COVID and also some incompetence. Even without these factors I wasn’t expecting the process to go smoothly. 3 days time/travel/money wasted nonetheless so I wouldn’t suggest anyone travel to PP for a driving test until there are some confirmed reports of people being tested.
For those looking to do the test when testing resumes, here is how I was told it will work. (Note. I wasn’t 100% confident they understood it themselves so other experiences may vary.)
- You have to submit your documents and payment and pre-register to be tested on a future date. You then return on the booked date to do the test. (Not great if you don’t live in PP) In theory the test date could be the following day but this depends on availability.
- The booking has to be done in person 20km north of PP. Their online registration system doesn’t work. Maybe one day it will, maybe it won’t. Currently you have to go to PP to pre-book/register in person. They said this cannot be done by phone, email, etc.
- On your pre-booked test date you take the theory and practical tests on the SAME DAY
- Theory testing takes place Monday to Thursday only (I guess the same for practicals??)
- Documents required were: Passport plus photocopies of photo page and visa, residency certificate, several passport photos.
- The medical costs 10,000r payable in cash
- The test costs 100,000r payment only accepted electronically. (plus 1000r transaction fee)
I paid with the ABA app. There was no sign (yet) of a Wing booth or similar on site as at the old office or AEON locations for applicants without Cambodian bank accounts. Prepare to potentially be messed around a bit.
- Theory tests take place at 9am (be there 8:30 to check in)
- I was advised many people fail the theory which means retesting the following day
- Practical testing is done in the afternoon of the same day 2-5pm
- Licenses are printed as a batch once the final practical test ends.
I asked if there was a phone number or way of contacting the test center to find out when they are able to start testing again and to check a booked test would definitely go ahead prior to travelling to PP. They said it was not possible to contact them and they have no phone number or public contact details.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Same shit running around I did , nobody knows anything, except not here.
Bet when he goes back his residency letters will be out of date, go back home bring new one's more buffet dinner money ( tea money not enough)
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic