Renew Cambodia Driving License?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Renew Cambodia driving license

Post by phuketrichard »

You do need your current home country license, previously issued cambo license, and passport
Question for you all
i am hoping to get back into Cambodia next year and get my Cambodia license using my US home license

As that is due to expire in March 22, what happens when I want renew my cambo license but my US license has expired? ( as i am sure many of you all dont renew ur home country licenses when they expire)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

You need a valid overseas drivers license to get a one year Cambodian license,if your license has expired you will need to sit the test for the 10 year Cambodian license.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

atst wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:28 pm You need a valid overseas drivers license to get a one year Cambodian license,if your license has expired you will need to sit the test for the 10 year Cambodian license.

i will apply for a 1 year license next year with my valid US license which expires march 2022.
BUT someone said in their Cambodian license renewal they had to also show their home county license.
OR does this mean to always get a 1 year license reneal, you must show ur home country Valid license?
That makes no fucking sense at all to me

I also understand over 60 or 65, u cant get a 10 year license
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If you are going to renew your Cambodian license, then renew it by using only that license.
If you do not have a Cambodian driving license you can exchange your own countries valid driver's license for a Cambodian driving licence, but for only one year, not the ten years has you would taking the Cambodian driving test to gain the license.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:27 pm
atst wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:28 pm You need a valid overseas drivers license to get a one year Cambodian license,if your license has expired you will need to sit the test for the 10 year Cambodian license.

i will apply for a 1 year license next year with my valid US license which expires march 2022.
BUT someone said in their Cambodian license renewal they had to also show their home county license.
OR does this mean to always get a 1 year license reneal, you must show ur home country Valid license?

atst is correct.. your home licence must be valid to renew or get a cambo one on a yearly basis. They checked that for my Cambo renewal last July.

I'm over 60 and my aussie licence expires in August 2023 so should be OK to get back to OZ without quarantine before then to renew it for another 5 yrs so I can then continue to renew my Cambo licence every year with a valid home licence.

Without a valid home licence and over 60, I'm not sure but you might be able to get a Cambo licence doing the test etc but they won't give you the full 10 years...maybe pro-rata? Other members probably know...@PSD-Kiwi ?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

SO clutch / Atst your saying a a expat you must ALWAYS have a valid license form ur home county to renew ur Cambodian license each year?

I just cant believe that>
Surely once you have a khmer license you should be able to renew that one yearly?
I know plenty of expats here that ONLY have a thai license and have not had their home country license for decades.

Any links for that>?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:45 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:27 pm

atst is correct.. your home licence must be valid to renew or get a cambo one on a yearly basis. They checked that for my Cambo renewal last July.

I'm over 60 and my aussie licence expires in August 2023 so should be OK to get back to OZ without quarantine before then to renew it for another 5 yrs so I can then continue to renew my Cambo licence every year with a valid home licence.

Without a valid home licence and over 60, I'm not sure but you might be able to get a Cambo licence doing the test etc but they won't give you the full 10 years...maybe pro-rata? Other members probably know...@PSD-Kiwi ?
You can renew your Australia license online now, they use your old photo but you need somewhere in Australia for an address for them to send the new license too.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:07 pm SO clutch / Atst your saying a a expat you must ALWAYS have a valid license form ur home county to renew ur Cambodian license each year?

I just cant believe that>
Surely once you have a khmer license you should be able to renew that one yearly?
I know plenty of expats here that ONLY have a thai license and have not had their home country license for decades.

Any links for that>?
Well believe it that's what it is each year you show them your current license from home then get a Cambodian one on a yearly basis,
A Khmer license is for 10 years after sitting the test

Note travel insurance won't cover you even if you have a 10 year Khmer license and no valid license from your home.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:07 pm SO clutch / Atst your saying a a expat you must ALWAYS have a valid license form ur home county to renew ur Cambodian license each year?

Any links for that>?
post339184.html#p339184
post364722.html#p364722
post429457.html#p429457
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Not to add fuel to the fire, however, I was able to renew using my non expired 1 year Cambodian license. I had almost 1 month validity left. This was at Aeon 2.
I wouldn’t guarantee anyone else could do it, just my experience.
As an aside, I just got stopped a few weeks ago, nothing my fault, and I mistakenly pulled out an expired us license ( I always keep my old ones) it was accepted no problem. I didn’t even realize until I went over the receipt that I’d given them the old one.
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic