Quality Cambodia food restaurant

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Quality Cambodia food restaurant

Post by Ricky Dunn »

Malis Restaurant.

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Pedroviera wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 pm Haha good point Ya I'm in a bad spot.This way I can blame on " foreigner said good sorry" my go to line for bad choices... I can dig up decent western restaurant but her mom don't eat it and sisters not much. Dinner out my idea but I might bail (if can't find place worth gambling on) and they cook at home. I can be a real hero if I find this hidden gourmet Cambodian restaurant...
Well, I admire you for wanting to spend time with and money on your lady's family. I've been with mine for two years and so far I spent one afternoon with her family. My Khmer is not good enough for a conversation, and even if it was I doubt we would have much in common. I let her go alone to them as and when she wants, which isn't much. Having said that, some Khmer families are tightly knit (my ex's was like this). Some cynics describe this as hunting as a pack.
independencequarter
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by independencequarter »

The best Cambodian food I've had was at Kraya Angkor Restaurant on Street 63 in BKK1. Absolutely delicious. About $6 to $8 for most dishes.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cambodian restaurants are a recent phenomenon. In the past there were only Chinese and French restaurants.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I don't eat in restaurants much these days. Aside from the poor hygiene risks that the OP's spouse noted, there is the issue of what ingredients they use. Oil is a big expense for restaurants and so the cheapest gets used (are re-used). Sugar and calorie content is another matter. It's OK when you are young but us older guys need to be careful what we put in our bodies. That said, at least restaurants here (and most of Asia) are usually good value and rarely get too busy. In the West, you often find you have to wait for a table at some overcrowded place charging ten times what you would pay to cook the same thing at home. Hygiene is probably better, however. Tokyo is good. Stand-up sushi restaurants offer great value, great quality and great hygiene. Sorry for going off-topic.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Spigzy wrote:Kravanh on Sothearos without a doubt. HE’s family are quite regular, chef used to cook for the King as far as I understand, but probably a bad Chinese whisper!

It’s the best Khmer food I’ve had in PP, if you’re prepared to go down a notch or two in food quality I still enjoy Malis on Norodom when sitting outside- it’s just got a nice thing going on if you don’t mind being a bit warmer- food always tastes better outside.
Didn't rate Kravanh, neither did my khminlaws. Bad prahok apparently, if there could be such a thing.
Long time ago, haven't returned. The Filipino manager didn't help their experience.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

chkwoot wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:29 am Romdeng is pretty good. Touristy and a little pricey, but clean and tasty. http://tree-alliance.org/our-restaurant ... gJXc_D_BwE

My in-laws absolutely love Carl's Jr.
Another vote for Romdeng. I was very impressed with this place. On st174, between st 51 and st 63, near Bouchon.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:07 am
Pedroviera wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 pm Haha good point Ya I'm in a bad spot.This way I can blame on " foreigner said good sorry" my go to line for bad choices... I can dig up decent western restaurant but her mom don't eat it and sisters not much. Dinner out my idea but I might bail (if can't find place worth gambling on) and they cook at home. I can be a real hero if I find this hidden gourmet Cambodian restaurant...
Well, I admire you for wanting to spend time with and money on your lady's family. I've been with mine for two years and so far I spent one afternoon with her family. My Khmer is not good enough for a conversation, and even if it was I doubt we would have much in common. I let her go alone to them as and when she wants, which isn't much. Having said that, some Khmer families are tightly knit (my ex's was like this). Some cynics describe this as hunting as a pack.
haha Very similar. Her sisters sent us food/gifts and we see on Facebook only. First time meeting mother. We live 5 hours from nearest relative. Been together year and half... Me and spouse talk constantly and she interprets decent so ok one Time And I don't mind getting half crocked and staring off into space if needed... . If I don't do a restaurant and they cook at home, might turn into drawn-out big group gathering.... Restaurant 2 hours max
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Post by Bibi »

My favorites are Phka Slaa, corner 19/240. They cook traditional Khmer recipes and have a 6,50$ set menu at lunch time. Labaab is also a good place to try, on Monivong blvd at the 1st or 2d floor above the Pharmacy de la Gare. The Sugar Palm, street 178. Kravanh on Sothearos as mentioned by Spigzy. And Romdeng, lots of tourists but always good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic