Anyone have a ball park figure on what import tax I'd likely pay on a $2k laptop imported from the states?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Anyone have a ball park figure on what import tax I'd likely pay on a $2k laptop imported from the states?

Post by xandreu »

I know people say it's all down to the officer you deal with but there must be rules for this sort of thing. Even in the kingdom of wonder.

Before anyone asks, no. It's not available in Cambodia or any neighbouring countries as far as I can tell. I know there are companies that will import it for you for a fee. Just trying to work out if it would be cheaper to do it myself.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Anyone have a ball park figure on what import tax I'd likely pay on a $2k laptop imported from the states?

Post by hanno »

I get a lot of stuff from Amazon and have never paid import tax but was told this is only as long as the value is below 2K. Could you declare a value of $1,999?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Anyone have a ball park figure on what import tax I'd likely pay on a $2k laptop imported from the states?

Post by phuketrichard »

is it available on lazada.com?
if so have it shipped to Poste restante in Aranyaprathet and go pick it up.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Use DHL, they will tell you how much you have to pay and will do it all for you. That being said, I'm not aware of any laptops that can't be purchased or at least ordered locally. Even that $10k Acer is available on Monivong.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Having been stung 60% import duty/taxes on a $100 steam cleaner I bought from Aliexpress I would not risk it. Better to do as Richard suggests, or fly to BKK/KUL/SIN and buy it there and bring it back in your baggage.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Ingvar 7788
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Ingvar 7788 »

Here is my experience: you have two options to buy something overseas.

Option N1:
Use DHL
or
Global Shipment Program by E-Bay (https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipp ... am?id=4646), if it's available in your case.
It's the most safety and the most expansive way. They will charge you for delivering and taxation. You shouldn't take care of it.

Option N2:
Use USPS and Cambodia Post Service.
In that case, you will have to go to the main PO in Phnom Penh to pick your parcel up (they will call to you when it arrives). They will open a box together with you, look inside, check all the invoices and ask you to pay an import tax.
For laptop and computers, it is 17% of the declared price.
It's important - "of the declared price", because of some e-shops allow you to report any amount you want.
If an amount is less then $50 - forget about any import taxes.

I did it many times.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Ingvar 7788 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 am Option N2:
Use USPS and Cambodia Post Service.
In that case, you will have to go to the main PO in Phnom Penh to pick your parcel up (they will call to you when it arrives). They will open a box together with you, look inside, check all the invoices and ask you to pay an import tax.
For laptop and computers, it is 17% of the declared price.
It's important - "of the declared price", because of some e-shops allow you to report any amount you want.
If an amount is less then $50 - forget about any import taxes.

I did it many times.
If you do this make sure you know what the declared price is on the parcel as they will try and trick you by asking how much you paid, before you get to see the parcel. If you're not sure, the correct answer is "I can't remember, check the declaration form". :D
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Obviously things are different in Temple Town. I pick my stuff up at the FedEx office and that's it. Obviously, all packages have been opened and resealed. I buy all my camera, running, IT, household and other hear from Amazon. The only time I got hit for an import tax was when I had items to the tune of 5K. A lot of negotiating brought the tax down to $200. Oh, and once I got charged 6,000 Riel for no obvious reason.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

hanno wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 pm Oh, and once I got charged 6,000 Riel for no obvious reason.
Were you picking up around lunch time? :D
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Brody wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:28 pm
hanno wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:10 pm Oh, and once I got charged 6,000 Riel for no obvious reason.
Were you picking up around lunch time? :D
Actually, I was......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic