Elon Musk's Starlink satellites over Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Elon Musk's Starlink satellites over Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:06 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:01 pm Apparently although the dish does look like a classic dish, the underlying tech is a phased antenna array, which theoretically means you could build one that looks nothing like a dish. Of course you’d still be transmitting from it, so in principle those signals could be detected, but it’d be enough to avoid the attentions of busybody neighbours.
As if anybody in Cambodia gives a single, flying, fuck about what a dish or antennae is for.
They will probably follow the suggestions from their brother in arms, China, and ban it.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:09 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:01 pm Apparently although the dish does look like a classic dish, the underlying tech is a phased antenna array, which theoretically means you could build one that looks nothing like a dish. Of course you’d still be transmitting from it, so in principle those signals could be detected, but it’d be enough to avoid the attentions of busybody neighbours.
As if anybody in Cambodia gives a single, flying, fuck about what a dish or antennae is for.
They will probably follow the suggestions from their brother in arms, China, and ban it.
lol, let them try
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:09 pm
lol, let them try
The local CPP departments in villages and sangkats are actually pretty well organized / informed. If, but only if, the big boss makes this a priority thing, it will be very difficult to use starlink in Cambodia. Don't underestimate the CPP when it comes to keeping and maintaining control.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:07 pm
For receiving the dish is still a requirement. The Phased Antenna Array only specifies the sending part.
If it really came to that, you could house it in a box made of that tinted plastic roofing stuff so no-one could see it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 pm
For receiving the dish is still a requirement. The Phased Antenna Array only specifies the sending part.
If it really came to that, you could house it in a box made of that tinted plastic roofing stuff so no-one could see it.
I don't know. The satellites orbit at an altitude of 340 km, so in the ideal case (which virtually never happens) the signal has to travel that distance from your antenna to the satellite and back. In reality the distance will be much longer because the satellite hardly ever is right above your head. Try Pythagoras law on that one and amaze yourself about the distance the signal has to cover in non optimal cases (99.9999%).
Any barrier between the antenna and the satellite will weaken the signal. Not sure if the reduction will be enough to make the system fail. In the beta phase with fewer satellites (thus longer distances) the system will be more frugal than with all stations in operation.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:16 pm

The local CPP departments in villages and sangkats are actually pretty well organized / informed. If, but only if, the big boss makes this a priority thing, it will be very difficult to use starlink in Cambodia. Don't underestimate the CPP when it comes to keeping and maintaining control.
When I first visited Cambodia; the big man was threatening to cancel 3G because of the "risk to the social fabric of society".

That didn't happen.

Every other year we have chicken lickens running around screeching about how our sim cards will cease working unless we register ID cards to them by x date.

That didn't happen.

I do not see how a starlink device could be tracked or monitored by local authorities; there won't be starlink country office; nothing will stop consumers worldwide buying these units and connecting or assembling their own and then connecting. Time will tell ofc.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:24 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 pm
I don't know. The satellites orbit at an altitude of 340 km, so in the ideal case (which virtually never happens) the signal has to travel that distance from your antenna to the satellite and back. In reality the distance will be much longer because the satellite hardly ever is right above your head. Try Pythagoras law on that one and amaze yourself about the distance the signal has to cover in non optimal cases (99.9999%).
Any barrier between the antenna and the satellite will weaken the signal. Not sure if the reduction will be enough to make the system fail. In the beta phase with fewer satellites (thus longer distances) the system will be more frugal than with all stations in operation.
I have two dishes under a plastic sheeting roof with steel trusses, and they pick up TV from satellites at 35,000km altitude, so I don't think it'll be an issue.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:25 pm I do not see how a starlink device could be tracked or monitored by local authorities; there won't be starlink country office; nothing will stop consumers worldwide buying these units and connecting or assembling their own and then connecting. Time will tell ofc.
First of all they could simply intercept the boxes with antennas when imported. Second, a flashy white antenna (with Starlink log?) fully exposed to the sky at a certain angle with nearly a diameter of 1 meter will be pretty easy to spot. of course there will be the occasional house in the bush using one unnoticed, but I'm talking about serious adoption, let's say 10-100k users in Cambodia. I don't think they will allow because it will be a major hole in their safety net, at least in their world.

Again, it comes down to how eager they are. My guess is, they will be pretty eager. My guess is also Starlink won't be a success in China.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:36 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:25 pm I do not see how a starlink device could be tracked or monitored by local authorities; there won't be starlink country office; nothing will stop consumers worldwide buying these units and connecting or assembling their own and then connecting. Time will tell ofc.
First of all they could simply intercept the boxes with antennas when imported. Second, a flashy white antenna (with Starlink log?) fully exposed to the sky at a certain angle with nearly a diameter of 1 meter will be pretty easy to spot. of course there will be the occasional house in the bush using one unnoticed, but I'm talking about serious adoption, let's say 10-100k users in Cambodia. I don't think they will allow because it will be a major hole in their safety net, at least in their world.

Again, it comes down to how eager they are. My guess is, they will be pretty eager. My guess is also Starlink won't be a success in China.
That's a pessimistic view.

I'll report back on how it works in a year or so
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:31 pm I have two dishes under a plastic sheeting roof with steel trusses, and they pick up TV from satellites at 35,000km altitude, so I don't think it'll be an issue.
You talk about receiving data. With Starlink you're looking at two way communication. Receive and send. Total different playing field, hence the extremely low orbit compared to 'old style' communication satellites.
The Starlink antenna will have maybe 1% of the sending power of the satellite, probably even less. That's where the problems might occur.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic