Elon Musk's Starlink satellites over Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Elon Musk's Starlink satellites over Cambodia

Post by paul2d »

offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Some might remember Camshin's satellite service around 10 or more years ago.
They lent you a huge $2000 dish/hardware setup which you signed liability for. $55/mth for an unlimited but slow connection that didnt work in the rain.
When Camshin went bankrupt and were absorbed by Cellcard, no-one bothered to come and get the now useless dishes. I had to approach them in the end to get rid of the heap of junk.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I'm signed up to test starlink here when needed since last year or before.

Blazing fast all over the world so far. Would proper fuck off this Khmer internet gateway bullcrap they want to take money for also
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:13 am
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:57 am How does it work? Do you pull the data direct from the satellites? Will this remove government ability to censor what goes through the wires in their country.

Or is it just quick internet?

A link to the idiots guide will do @timmydownawell !
You pay $499 for a dish and box/router *plus shipping*, then $99/month during the Beta testing period. After it comes out of Beta it's likely the price will change - and from what I can tell from a bit of Googling it's likely there will indeed be regionally-appropriate pricing, so that bodes well for countries like Cambodia.

I guess it will circumvent Cambodia's gateway project?
So it's the same witchcraft as satellite TV, just it's the internet instead. Satellite Internet - got it.

It sounds like possession of a dish in many countries will get you 20 years. How will the government be able to get in the way of you and the satellite and monitor and/or block what you watch, download or upload?

Will Starlink roll over to the various government security services or be a law unto itself, Like Facebook et al?
Yes it will pass the some government censorship. They will be following US regulations though, but I believe other governments system are not able to track your internet usage. My guess if it ever gets popular, certain governments will just ban it (=cannot import/sell/buy and if they happen to see the dish on your roof, well then you are in trouble).
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I'm also signed up for Starlink, due to cover my location in north Laos in early 2022. I have a rather weird reason for wanting Starlink! I already have 2 fibre-optic lines into my rented house on the outskirts of Luang Prabang, and I need fast(ish) internet for my online science teaching. But I'm also a shortwave radio amateur (the only 1 in Laos). Trying to do the listening side of this hobby in the modern world of electronic gadgets means putting up with the electrical interference from nearby power lines, plasma TVs etc.

The ideal location to excel at my hobby is to live in the middle of fcuking nowhere!!, with solar power and no nearby power lines or neighbours with their noise-generating electrical equipment.

So as soon as I get my Starlink, I'm off to the middle of the rain-forest in north Laos :) I can still teach online (Starlink is way faster than my fibre lines).
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Apparently although the dish does look like a classic dish, the underlying tech is a phased antenna array, which theoretically means you could build one that looks nothing like a dish. Of course you’d still be transmitting from it, so in principle those signals could be detected, but it’d be enough to avoid the attentions of busybody neighbours.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

picture from Heavens Above app from last night.

check out link
https://satellitemap.space/#
pebbles&nightsky
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:01 pm Apparently although the dish does look like a classic dish, the underlying tech is a phased antenna array, which theoretically means you could build one that looks nothing like a dish. Of course you’d still be transmitting from it, so in principle those signals could be detected, but it’d be enough to avoid the attentions of busybody neighbours.
As if anybody in Cambodia gives a single, flying, fuck about what a dish or antennae is for.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:01 pm Apparently although the dish does look like a classic dish, the underlying tech is a phased antenna array, which theoretically means you could build one that looks nothing like a dish. Of course you’d still be transmitting from it, so in principle those signals could be detected, but it’d be enough to avoid the attentions of busybody neighbours.
For receiving the dish is still a requirement. The Phased Antenna Array only specifies the sending part.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic