Thailand "Most Dangerous Tourist Destination"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Thailand "Most Dangerous Tourist Destination"

Post by General Mackevili »

Secret Squirrel wrote: Whoever wrote this clearly has not been to South America.
Exactly. Thailand would have to get a whole lot worse to be on my "dangerous destination" list.

I'm probably more likely to get into a bad situation there, but it's based on my activities that I'm more likely to get up to than if I was in another country. But if I got into the same shit elsewhere that I get into in Thailand it would be just as dangerous.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Thailand

Post by Francis »

Spoiler:
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Post by Jacket »

I'd still rather go there than let's say, Jamaica or Honduras or even parts of Brazil or the USA. I recon that you're more likely to get mugged 'n' shit in Detroit or the Bronx than in Bangkok. (Note: I've never actually been to the states, so this is just the impression that I've gotten from the general reputation that these places have.)

But then again, let's be real here. It's all fear-mongering anyway. Fear sells and when you tell people that they should be afraid to go to certain places, they're going to want to read up on the topic and buy your stupid book.
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

More Australians die in Thailand than any other foreign country. It is also the most popular OS destination- or was.
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

frank lee bent wrote:More Australians die in Thailand than any other foreign country. It is also the most popular OS destination- or was.
This may indeed be true but you have to analyse the demographic of visitors, cause of death and volume of visitors.
Many visitors are retirees and some are far from athletic.
I suspect heart attacks and liver failure is quite high on the causes list.
How many of them met their death in a violent manner which could be attributed to the Thais. Very few I suspect.
If you die from old age, natural causes or self abuse the location of your demise is not relevant and does not qualify it as a dangerous place.
To be cliched many died 'doing what/who they loved'.
myfriendme
Tourist

Post by myfriendme »

This is fearmongering, crime happens anywhere and Thailand gets so many tourists that bad things will always happen to a few.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Thailand "Most Dangerous Tourist Destination"

Post by General Mackevili »

frank lee bent wrote:More Australians die in Thailand than any other foreign country. It is also the most popular OS destination- or was.
I think it is mainly because of what these people get up to while they're there.

If 1000 tourists with plans to Rio, Brazil to stay at a resort to do a yoga retreat and 1000 tourists go to Pattaya with plans to bang as many hookers and lady boys as they can while mixing all sorts of drugs with alcohol, I can tell you which country will end up with more dead foreigners.

More people go to Thailand to do risky shit than they would normally do in other tourist destinations.

I think that's a huge factor here that's hard to fit in with statistics.

So yes, I'm not the least bit surprised more Australian tourists die in Thailand compared to anywhere else, but it's BECAUSE of the situations they put themselves in there.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

An unwarranted disparaging attack on the drugs, hookers & ladyboys of Rio unworthy of you GM :) I don't know about the LBs, but the other 2 are top notch.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

LTO wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:Thailand has become one of the most dangerous tourist destinations on earth, according to a new book...
Always has been, along with most of south and southeast Asia. Westerners just didn't perceive it as such due to a combination of ignorance and the desire for it not to be so. The whole region was/is Shangri-la country in the traveler psyche. Now information flows more freely and Thailand is falling into political disfavor for reasons having largely to do with changing western sensibilities, (i.e. sex, crime and coups that nobody would have cared about 10 years ago.) So now Westerners want to see Thailand as bad, and thus it "becomes" dangerous for being what it has always been.
I'd be fine with these types not coming. They're the ones that cause the rise in expectations/prices. Of course the idiot kids on a long exotic drug binge won't stop because of this. But one thing at a time.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

I wonder how many foreigners are hurt in auto accidents in Thailand every year? The country is a world leader in crashes. In just a few months there I read regular reports of foreigners getting in bus, taxi and motorbike accidents.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic