Theresa May Resigns as UK Prime Minister

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Theresa May Resigns as UK Prime Minister

Post by Doc67 »

No real suprise. 36 ministerial resignations in less than 36 months is a new record and testament to the divisions that run deep in both major parties.

John Major described Europe, in 1988, as a wolf coming down the path to devour the Conservative Party. How prescient that prediction now looks...
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Theresa May Resigns as UK Prime Minister

Post by DaveG »

Good ,

Trexit means Trexit,

God knows what will replace her though, maybe BoJo the clown !!!!!!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I voted remain but I don't have any problem with the fact that a small majority voted to leave.

What I do take issue with is that nowhere, in any single facet of our democratic system does winner take all and loser ends up with nothing. I challenge anyone to give me one single example where the majority vote of anything means that they take the entire crown and the minority ends up with nothing whatsoever.

The biggest and most damaging aspect of Brexit has been that people have forgotten what democracy is, how it works, why it's important, and more importantly, why it's there specifically to prevent mob rule. Each and every one of us is a in a minority of one kind or another. Democracy doesn't exist to allow the populous to shove aside those with minority views, lifestyles or backgrounds. It's there specifically to defend the minorities. We may have a general election every 5 years and one party usually wins, but that doesn't mean that the losing parties aren't represented. They still have seats in the houses of parliaments and lords. They are still represented, because that's how democracy works

This idea that a 52% majority somehow represents 'The will of the people' is just absurd. It's a little over half. It's the will of a little over half of the people.

Teresa May was given an impossible job, but she was the ONLY one prepared to take it on. Boris, Gove, Farage (even though he's not actually part of the government, although he likes to act as he is) all did a runner when the Brexit vote was announced. Why? Because their fragile ego's couldn't deal with such a toxic issue as Brexit. They knew what was to come and the only person who was prepared to stand up to the plate was Teresa May.

I fundamentally disagreed with every aspect of her handling of Brexit. She made huge mistakes right from the start by not organizing cross party talks on the issue and looking at the problem in the national interest, rather than a party political one. She had three years to come to a consensus, and she failed. The mess we're in now is solely down to her and her policies.

HOWEVER, I thoroughly commend her on her sheer determination and commitment to the sense of duty she was given. She stuck to her guns, and rightly or wrongly, that's what being a leader is all about.

We're very lucky in our country that our leaders take their responsibilities so seriously. Thatcher cried when she left office, and so did May today. Cameron (the architect of all of this) simply whistled to himself as he walked back through the doors of Number 10. He may as well have done a little side jump kick as he did so.

It's perfectly fine to fundamentally disagree with a prime ministers policies but understand their motives.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess. There's no doubt we're now looking at a hard Brexit. I'm just glad I don't reside there anymore, but I feel for my family and friends who do.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:55 pm No real suprise. 36 ministerial resignations in less than 36 months is a new record and testament to the divisions that run deep in both major parties.

John Major described Europe, in 1988, as a wolf coming down the path to devour the Conservative Party. How prescient that prediction now looks...
I remember John Major doing a similar interview about Europe (it may have been the same interview) in which he stressed unequivocally that the overriding success of the European Union was bringing about the end of centuries of wars. I remember him talking about all of the negatives of the European Union and how the fundamental make-up of it had to change, not least it's protectiveness and that it had to start to look outward across the globe rather than inward, but I remember his parting words being something like - I'm paraphrasing (It was a long time ago) The first priority of each and every responsible government is to protect and prevent their citizens having to go to war, and the EU has so far proven itself for the first time in modern history, to be succeeding in that. As important as all of the other issues are, none are as important as this and this is something that the EU appears to be achieving, and it's this that we should always keep in the forefront of our minds.

This has always stuck with me and it's something I fundamentally agree with him on.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

xandreu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 pm Democracy doesn't exist to allow the populous to shove aside those with minority views, lifestyles or backgrounds. It's there specifically to defend the minorities.
Where do you get that idea?
In a 'true' democracy, If the mob/majority wish to castrate all gay men, that is what would happen
With modern communication technology we're starting to probe the limits and validity of democracy
Certainly of capitalism
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:17 am
xandreu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 pm Democracy doesn't exist to allow the populous to shove aside those with minority views, lifestyles or backgrounds. It's there specifically to defend the minorities.
Where do you get that idea?
In a 'true' democracy, If the mob/majority wish to castrate all gay men, that is what would happen
With modern communication technology I think we're starting to probe the limits and validity of democracy
Certainly with capitalism
If there were a vote tomorrow for capital punishment to be brought back for murders, rapists and child molesters, I think we could both agree that it would win hands down. That would be 'true' democracy', but we've decided that that would constitute 'mob rule'. the very thing that democracy aims to prevent.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

?

monstra mihi bona!
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

She took on a poison chalice and died.

Amazed she managed to chemo herself to power that long.

Good riddance
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

My up-vote was for xandreu was for...
"Teresa May was given an impossible job, but she was the ONLY one prepared to take it on. Boris, Gove, Farage (even though he's not actually part of the government, although he likes to act as he is) all did a runner when the Brexit vote was announced. Why? Because their fragile ego's couldn't deal with such a toxic issue as Brexit. They knew what was to come and the only person who was prepared to stand up to the plate was Teresa May. "
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

True to her name she dropped at long last, leaving them with seven days in sunny june. I bet it's gonna rain dogs & rats.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic