Theresa May Resigns as UK Prime Minister

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Theresa May Resigns as UK Prime Minister

Post by John Bingham »

I'd imagine she is feeling a great sense of relief this evening.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:58 am I'd imagine she is feeling a great sense of relief this evening.

Harsh.

I quite liked her, although I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if your British or not, but I really like Farage, even though I don't agree with him on many issues.

Most would agree that he's clearly one of the best orators our country has seen for generations. He is an amazingly expert public speaker, probably on a par with Hitler (awful comparison I know, but he commands that type of respect when he speaks).

There's nothing wrong with liking the way someone speaks publicly, even if you fundamentally disagree with them. There's a true art to public speaking, some have it, many don't.

Teresa May wasn't the best, she always sounded like she was reading from a script (which she often was), but I always liked what she said. She always seemed to talk about things that resonated with ordinary people. She always seemed to know the difference between what people cared about and what they didn't give a shit about. But she did it in a way that appeared genuine. Whether it was or not not is anyone's guess.

I do believe that Teresa May's heart was in the right place, and I do believe that she tried to do what she could to improve people's lives, and under any other circumstances, she probably could have done more, unfortunately, Brexit is such a time consuming topic, it's all consuming in British politics right now.

Despite all the hatred towards her, I do believe that her heart was in the right place, and under any other circumstance, she could have been a great prime minister.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

xandreu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 pm people have forgotten what democracy is, why it's there specifically to prevent mob rule.
I thought democracy is mob rule.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

O well, we can all look forward to BoJo the clown as PM, failing Grayling as defence minister and Rees-Smug as work and pensions minister, bring back the Victorian government workhouses for the menials, Grayling with his finger on the button and BoJo just insulting everyone and anyone not from Engur-Land

Lol,

cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

xandreu wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:20 am
I do believe that Teresa May's heart was in the right place, and I do believe that she tried to do what she could to improve people's lives, and under any other circumstances, she probably could have done more, unfortunately, Brexit is such a time consuming topic, it's all consuming in British politics right now.

Despite all the hatred towards her, I do believe that her heart was in the right place, and under any other circumstance, she could have been a great prime minister.
I wholly disagree with your statement above. TM was one of the main instigators in the animosity felt towards immigrants in the UK, remember the vans, Windrush, making up stories about not being able to deport someone because of a cat. Separating families due to the GBP 18,600 earnings rule, doubled the cost of child citizenship applications, capping skilled migrants... I could go on

She was the longest serving home secretary in modern history, during which resentment grew & haphazard policies were implemented. Maybe the biggest being 'deport first, appeal later' which was ruled as unlawful by the supreme court.

I believe that in any circumstance, she would have been a terrible PM.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 pm I voted remain but I don't have any problem with the fact that a small majority voted to leave.

What I do take issue with is that nowhere, in any single facet of our democratic system does winner take all and loser ends up with nothing. I challenge anyone to give me one single example where the majority vote of anything means that they take the entire crown and the minority ends up with nothing whatsoever.

The biggest and most damaging aspect of Brexit has been that people have forgotten what democracy is, how it works, why it's important, and more importantly, why it's there specifically to prevent mob rule. Each and every one of us is a in a minority of one kind or another. Democracy doesn't exist to allow the populous to shove aside those with minority views, lifestyles or backgrounds. It's there specifically to defend the minorities. We may have a general election every 5 years and one party usually wins, but that doesn't mean that the losing parties aren't represented. They still have seats in the houses of parliaments and lords. They are still represented, because that's how democracy works

This idea that a 52% majority somehow represents 'The will of the people' is just absurd. It's a little over half. It's the will of a little over half of the people.

Teresa May was given an impossible job, but she was the ONLY one prepared to take it on. Boris, Gove, Farage (even though he's not actually part of the government, although he likes to act as he is) all did a runner when the Brexit vote was announced. Why? Because their fragile ego's couldn't deal with such a toxic issue as Brexit. They knew what was to come and the only person who was prepared to stand up to the plate was Teresa May.

I fundamentally disagreed with every aspect of her handling of Brexit. She made huge mistakes right from the start by not organizing cross party talks on the issue and looking at the problem in the national interest, rather than a party political one. She had three years to come to a consensus, and she failed. The mess we're in now is solely down to her and her policies.

HOWEVER, I thoroughly commend her on her sheer determination and commitment to the sense of duty she was given. She stuck to her guns, and rightly or wrongly, that's what being a leader is all about.

We're very lucky in our country that our leaders take their responsibilities so seriously. Thatcher cried when she left office, and so did May today. Cameron (the architect of all of this) simply whistled to himself as he walked back through the doors of Number 10. He may as well have done a little side jump kick as he did so.

It's perfectly fine to fundamentally disagree with a prime ministers policies but understand their motives.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess. There's no doubt we're now looking at a hard Brexit. I'm just glad I don't reside there anymore, but I feel for my family and friends who do.
It's good to see some thoughtful and coherent discussion on this subject, without all the spitting of partisan bile that Brexit evokes.

I voted to leave, with a heavy heart. I doubt I would vote the same way again if given the chance. I think the UK will be fine outside the EU once the dust settles but it will continue to be such a toxic issue for the foreseeable future. However, if a second referendum were to return a remain result by a decent majority, say 60/40, then the matter could be put to bed. The politicians wouldn't go near it again as they know all the trouble it would cause, and in particular their own re-election prospects. The media wouldn't want to give it much airspace for much the same reasons. The Brexiteers would still try to keep the issue alive but I don't think the public, both remain and the softcore leavers, would want to go anywhere near it again. The hardcore will never quit, but that's the nature of hardcore believers.

Lord Heseltine gave an interview the other day in which he made a very good point; "the big issues of the future will be taken by the biggest players". I assume he meant the EU, US, China and to some extent Russia. I am no great fan of 'Tarzen' but he has a point. Britain wont even be in the room.

The great late Peter Ustinov (stay with me...) gave an interview in the 70's on the Parkinson show (I think) and he was asked about his views on Europe. It was the time of the last referendum on remaining in the common market. He simply said that, "you are either going to be one of the players or one of the balls". This is exactly what Heseltine was suggesting. Nothing of this nature was even touched upon in the campaigning prior to the 2016 referendum.

As for going forward, any new Prime Minister that thinks they will march into Brussels and get Michel Barnier to start from scratch is deluding themselves. The UK has pitted itself in a negotiating contest with some of the best in the business. The EU are notoriously tough in this area. It pains me to say this, but the UK have little or no experience in this art as they have not had to do much of it for over 40 years. It's just not in our skill set. The EU have called all the shots from the start and the end result - 40 billion quid, full rights for EU citizens, no more influence on EU policy, still bound up in their rules and not a word about out future trading relationship - shows who is winning this contest. It's like we entered a cooking contest, with the EU having a 3 Michelin star French chef with Italian and Spanish chefs helping out and we are fielding Gordon Ramsey, Jamie Oliver and the Hairy Bikers. With European judges!

If the UK is to leave is should be a hard leave. The treaty on offer is a dogs dinner and the dog aint even touching it. They should then retain the services of the best international trade negotiators from Canada (they know all about the EU) Australia, the US etc. Pay them very well too. We would need some serious bench strength if we are to get anything near a good agreement. Personally I can't see any good deal with the EU for many many years. It's just not in their interest as a Union to give us one.

It's not going to get better any time soon....
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

xandreu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:56 pm
Teresa May was given an impossible job, but she was the ONLY one prepared to take it on. Boris, Gove, Farage (even though he's not actually part of the government, although he likes to act as he is) all did a runner when the Brexit vote was announced. Why? Because their fragile ego's couldn't deal with such a toxic issue as Brexit. They knew what was to come and the only person who was prepared to stand up to the plate was Teresa May.

I fundamentally disagreed with every aspect of her handling of Brexit. She made huge mistakes right from the start by not organizing cross party talks on the issue and looking at the problem in the national interest, rather than a party political one. She had three years to come to a consensus, and she failed. The mess we're in now is solely down to her and her policies.

HOWEVER, I thoroughly commend her on her sheer determination and commitment to the sense of duty she was given. She stuck to her guns, and rightly or wrongly, that's what being a leader is all about.

We're very lucky in our country that our leaders take their responsibilities so seriously. Thatcher cried when she left office, and so did May today. Cameron (the architect of all of this) simply whistled to himself as he walked back through the doors of Number 10. He may as well have done a little side jump kick as he did so.
No leader is perfect. I agree with your assessment of Cameron and his little side kick.

T. May is a hell of a better leader than the Prez of the USA. Say what you will about her leadership, but it is a million percent better than the toxic Agent Orange leading us into a war with Iran over here in the States.

Back on topic, Xandreu, I appreciated reading your ideas.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Storyville - Brexit Behind Closed Doors.

A two part 'fly-on-the-wall' production following Guy Verhofstadt in his role as EU Parliament leader of the steering committee. It shows you exactly what the UK are up against and some of their commentary is hilarious. Good knows why they released it now with things still far from settled.

Well worth a couple of hours...

It's on the BBC iplayer if you have a VPN or you can download it from The Pirate Bay. Here's the link:

https://thepiratebay.org/search/brexit% ... s/0/99/200
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I thought her decision to call a snap General Election when she didn't have to and which resulted in a slim majority dependent on the Ulster Unionists showed incredibly poor political judgement and I think demonstrated she was under-qualified for the job. She was very much Thatcher lite for me, with that same inability to listen to others which some might say represents determination but which I regard as arrogance. That style of leadership caught up with both of them in the end.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic