Typical deposit for apartment rental agreement

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Typical deposit for apartment rental agreement

Post by 135 »

I rented a place in Siem Reap and it was 1 month deposit. Had some furniture damage due to pets and the landlord took some money for that out of my deposit, showed receipts for the fabric recovering etc, I was fine with that.
And I just left our place in Toul Kork having paid 2 months deposit. Again, no dramas getting the deposit back minus the same pet damages...ugh you’d think I’d learn, haha
I’d be happy to recommend the apartment building in Toul Kork if anyone’s interested. I’m really sad to be leaving there, awesome staff.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:57 am Just wanting to let them know my concerns.
If it comes furnished then their concerns will be you breaking/taking stuff and them being left out of pocket, which I'm pretty sure is a more common occurrence than people wrongfully refusing to give back a deposit when the time comes. I don't think saying "yeah, I understand but the issue is I just don't trust you" is going to help. Just my 2c.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

If you don't trust them, don't do it.

Peace of mind is priceless.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:20 am
BklynBoy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:57 am Just wanting to let them know my concerns.
If it comes furnished then their concerns will be you breaking/taking stuff and them being left out of pocket, which I'm pretty sure is a more common occurrence than people wrongfully refusing to give back a deposit when the time comes. I don't think saying "yeah, I understand but the issue is I just don't trust you" is going to help. Just my 2c.
Thank you for that perspective. What your saying makes total sense. Yes, it is furnished. Your right.. trust works 2 ways
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:23 pm Been here for about 16 years, lived in 5 or 6 different places during that time, never lost a deposit or had any issues getting it back.
Same as, although I've only been here 14 years. Some people are just chumps and can't stand up for themselves or else are poor judges of character and end up with asshole landlords.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic