Typical deposit for apartment rental agreement

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Typical deposit for apartment rental agreement

Post by atst »

Not just the owners scamming many tenants don't pay the last month rent the disappear leaving the owner with a month's power and water bill
Scams work both ways
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

It is common in Cambodia for the owner to take the tenant's possessions when they are behind in the rent. They get their things back when they pay the rent.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Been here for about 16 years, lived in 5 or 6 different places during that time, never lost a deposit or had any issues getting it back except one place that I moved out prior to the contract being up due to safety concerns.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you moved out for safety reasons, you should have got your deposit back.

I know of one foreigner who has a one year lease. He found out after moving in, when it rains, water runs in under the door and all over the floor. The owner wont do anything to fix it. The tenant is going to honour the agreement and stay there. In Australia, if the owner refused to fix a significant defect, the tenant has the right to move out and not lose their deposit.

I have just moved into a room. I have been told by a neighbour, when there is heavy rain, water runs in under the door. If it does, I will probably fix it myself. The people here dont seem to know how to fix things like this. My aim is to teach the people managing the property, how it can be done, as there is more than one room with the same problem. The primary problem is poor design when the place was built.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Had deposits back on 4/5 apartments just one asshole. But to answer the OP I only ever do 1+1 that is standard. No reason for more. I've had landlords ask for more and said I wasn't interested suddenly 1 month is OK, although I still declined as after the initial request they didn't seem to be the type of folks I'd trust to rent from.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've lived in three apartments while I've been here. First one, I decided to leave just a couple of days after paying my last months rent so I gave them a story of having to go back to my home country for three months and that I'd definitely rent another apartment from them on my return - everything was smiles and pleasantries and I'd never paid the rent late or given them any major problems, so they had no issue giving me my deposit back. The second place were happy for me to use my deposit for my last months rent, as I'm sure my current landlord will be. What can they do? So long as you don't leave any damage and pay the electric and water, you're hardly scamming them - you're just not giving them the opportunity to scam you.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

explorer wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:48 pm If you moved out for safety reasons, you should have got your deposit back.
Uh, no. Not doing due diligence before signing a contract isn't a reason to get a deposit back anywhere in the world.
My aim is to teach the people
I heard this forum has an ignore feature. How do I put this useless fucking clown on my ignore list?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:23 pm Been here for about 16 years, lived in 5 or 6 different places during that time, never lost a deposit or had any issues getting it back except one place that I moved out prior to the contract being up due to safety concerns.
I am about to get a 2 month lease for an apartment in bkk 2 and they asked for 1 month deposit. I only go for summers and pay in full what i owe and thats finished but that was always thru a khmer friend who knew the people.

This time it is someone I don't know. So basically I have to pay 3 months rent in advance and then they pay me deposit back at end of the 2nd month. I just feel concerned I will get screwed over.

Any thoughts or ideas how to get out of paying 1 month deposit? I understand rationale for deposit.. what if i ruin apartment etc.. ..

Thanks in advance
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 am Any thoughts or ideas how to get out of paying 1 month deposit? I understand rationale for deposit.. what if i ruin apartment etc.. ..
Offer to pay 2 months up front without deposit and no need to pay you back. If no good offer $50 for utilities up front. If still no good there are cheaper hotels with less hassle and no risk.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

fax wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:59 am
BklynBoy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 am Any thoughts or ideas how to get out of paying 1 month deposit? I understand rationale for deposit.. what if i ruin apartment etc.. ..
Offer to pay 2 months up front without deposit and no need to pay you back. If no good offer $50 for utilities up front. If still no good there are cheaper hotels with less hassle and no risk.
Thanks!! I already offered/ stated I would pay my full 2 month rent. Unsure if message was lost in translation but when in person I will restate. I will even share my thoughts. Say heard stories how people have lost deposit due to various issues. I am not trying to make them feel defensive. Just wanting to let them know my concerns. Unsure if that would work at all
But good idea about paying $50 upfront for utilities

Thanks...
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic