Retirement Visa Minimum Age and Proof

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mipete07
Tourist
United States of America

Retirement Visa Minimum Age and Proof

Post by mipete07 »

I have some questions about retirement visa requirements.

I am a 25 year old US Citizen graduate student and part time freelancer. I have never been officially employed in the United States though I do have regular income and savings.

My mother is a 50 year old disabled US military veteran receiving monthly benefits. She cannot work and has not been employed for years.

We are interested in relocating from the USA to Cambodia and don't have any plans on working or setting up shop in Cambodia, so a business visa seems inappropriate. I have heard that Cambodia offers retirement visas with fewer requirements than most other countries, but don't know the minimum age or how one would go about proving they are retired. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Retirement Visa Minimum Age and Proof

Post by phuketrichard »

why Cambodia?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:51 pm why Cambodia?
It's common courtesy to at least attempt at answering the question before you start haranguing them about their reasons.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP, all your answers are in this thread:

ask-the-expats-questions-answers/visa-t20266.html
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

If you have money, don't worry about any visa.
But if you have money, Thailand is a so much better choice for you and your Mom...
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Hello mipete07,

For your mother it could work with a retirement extension.
Cambodia’s preferred minimum retirement age is 55.
Below that age you need to convince immigration that you are indeed retired and have enough income to support yourself.

A letter from the relevant US government department (I am not a US citizen) and pension benefit statements would be a good start.

When flying in, both of you need to request an ordinary visa valid for one month (not the tourist visa).

Based on this visa and the supporting documents you apply for an extension of stay. Travel agents can help with this.

For your mom, this would be a retirement extension ER of up to one year. This extension can then be renewed again without leaving the country...

If you don’t have a job or a business in Cambodia, you could get an EG extension for up to 6 months.
That extension is intended to allow you to look for a job. It cannot be extended again in country, so after 7 months total you would have to leave and get a new visa.

Some people have reported that they were able to get a second EG extension after entering with a new visa.

How many times this could work I don’t know, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable making Cambodia a home doing this type of visa run.

In my opinion, if you want to relocate to Cambodia at your age you need to get something going here, e.g., get a job or start a company.

If you do get a job or start a business, you can get an EB extension (business extension), valid for up to one year and renewable. You also have to apply for a work permit.

A very knowledgeable user on this forum with respect to visas is PSD-Kiwi. I have gotten most of my more recent visa info via his posts.

Personally, at 25 I would only consider relocating to Cambodia longterm if this could help my career.

All the best of luck to you and your mother.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

yongchi wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:33 pm If you don’t have a job or a business in Cambodia, you could get an EG extension for up to 6 months.
That extension is intended to allow you to look for a job. It cannot be extended again in country, so after 7 months total you would have to leave and get a new visa.

Some people have reported that they were able to get a second EG extension after entering with a new visa.

How many times this could work I don’t know, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable making Cambodia a home doing this type of visa run.

In my opinion, if you want to relocate to Cambodia at your age you need to get something going here, e.g., get a job or start a company.
I'm currently on my third EG, but I felt nervous applying for the third with the uncertainty of whether they would grant it, and even moreso about getting my fourth in several months.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:49 am I'm currently on my third EG, but I felt nervous applying for the third with the uncertainty of whether they would grant it, and even moreso about getting my fourth in several months.
That's good to hear that they're not being anal retentive pricks about back to back EG's.

Did you have to exit the country prior to each extension?

Let us know how the 4th pans out.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Brody wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:54 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:49 am I'm currently on my third EG, but I felt nervous applying for the third with the uncertainty of whether they would grant it, and even moreso about getting my fourth in several months.
That's good to hear that they're not being anal retentive pricks about back to back EG's.

Yes, you can't renew them without doing a visa run. But you have to wonder if their patience will run out by the time I apply for my fourth, so it is getting more stressful each time. I don't like uncertainty!
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:58 am
Brody wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:54 am

Yes, you can't renew them without doing a visa run. But you have to wonder if their patience will run out by the time I apply for my fourth, so it is getting more stressful each time. I don't like uncertainty!
Are you just siting it out until you reach 50 / 55?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic