Cheapest New and used smart phones in phnom penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cheapest New and used smart phones in phnom penh

Post by chkwoot »

explorer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 am Just make sure they're not locked for the SMART network. It might be the best provider in Phnom Penh, but has no nationwide coverage.
Has anyone ever come across phones locked to networks in Cambodia. All the phones I have known about have been unlocked.
Nope. Never. I've purchased maybe a dozen smartphones here. From shops, Smart, Metfone, and Cellcard. All Android. Never "locked."
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 am Just make sure they're not locked for the SMART network. It might be the best provider in Phnom Penh, but has no nationwide coverage.
Has anyone ever come across phones locked to networks in Cambodia. All the phones I have known about have been unlocked.
AFAIK at least the iPHONES sold @ SMART are locked.

Metfone sells locked phones too.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

chkwoot wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 am I have a Xiaomi Redmi 3 that I'll sell for $40. Original box, charger, etc. Paid $135 2.5 years ago. Works perfectly, except the battery lasts 2 days instead of 3. No dents or scratches. Look up the specs. Wife really only used it for Facebook and Whatsapp. PM me
pm on the way
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 am
angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am
Pedroviera wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:26 pm Where in phnom Penh cheapest brand new smart phone (any brands ok) and or used phones outlet? I see a few stores online maybe someone here has recent experience/knowledge? Looking to buy around 5 phones if that makes a difference. .THANKYOU

I would recommend you go to the SMART mobile phone shops. Depending what you want from them they have all sorts of different phones that work well in the $80-$150 range, all come with a 1 year warranty and also usually come with 3 months of data plan (1GB per week)
https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/devices/
Just make sure they're not locked for the SMART network. It might be the best provider in Phnom Penh, but has no nationwide coverage.
I always buy from them the phones i get are dual SIM, although have had single SIM ones and in 8 years I've never experienced them to be locked and I have used Metfone, Cellcard, Thai, Laos and Vietnamese and USA SIM cards in them without issue.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

I usually look on the website of Hakse to get an idea of phone-prices in Cambodia. The new OnePlus 7 Pro is not yet in the list though.

Also sells these Chinese brands that have similar specs to flagships of other well-known brands but at far lower prices (OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo, Meizu, Vivo etc.). Note that the recent trade wars only affect Huawei (and possibly ZTE again soon) but other companies are not affected in their supply chain. Probably because these are just mobile phone companies and not huge in 5G networking equipment/backbone appliances.

http://hakse.com.kh/
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Hard to find a cheaper phone than this one $35. brand new
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

beaker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 am Hard to find a cheaper phone than this one $35. brand new
That is cheap! But, I can't find any info about a FIGI M1 smartphone on the internet. I can't even find this phone on NIKA's website: https://nika.com.kh/en/ It's probably a generic that has been re-branded. Any idea of the manufacturer and specs? NIKA does sell some cheap "Sugar" branded phones. Another new one I've never heard of.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

chkwoot wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:19 am
beaker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:26 am Hard to find a cheaper phone than this one $35. brand new
That is cheap! But, I can't find any info about a FIGI M1 smartphone on the internet. I can't even find this phone on NIKA's website: https://nika.com.kh/en/ It's probably a generic that has been re-branded. Any idea of the manufacturer and specs? NIKA does sell some cheap "Sugar" branded phones. Another new one I've never heard of.
I just bought this phone for my 5yo daughter's b'day she likes to to view YouTube and Tik Tok , she takes lots of pictures too. My wife has not returned with it yet. I will let you know after I check it out.
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

here are the specs I know about:

- screen IPS 5.0 " Inch HD
-CPU Quad Core 1.3Ghz
- RAM 1 GB
- Memory 8 GB can add micro SD to 64 g
- battery 2000 mah
-Camera 8MP (rear)+ 5MP (Front)
- face recognition, ir blaster (so it can be used as a remote control for tv or air con.)
-Fingerprint scanner
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

beaker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:36 am

here are the specs I know about:

- screen IPS 5.0 " Inch HD
-CPU Quad Core 1.3Ghz
- RAM 1 GB
- Memory 8 GB can add micro SD to 64 g
- battery 2000 mah
-Camera 8MP (rear)+ 5MP (Front)
- face recognition, ir blaster (so it can be used as a remote control for tv or air con.)
-Fingerprint scanner
Ok wife has returned with the $35 Figi M1. First off the info from facebook about it having fingerprint recognition was not correct .
This is a great phone at even twice the price running android 7. I would recommend anyone wanting a very cheap but capable little smart phone to go get one. It even has GPS and Google maps, khmer lunar calendar and Phum english/khmer dictionary
. For a 1G phone I didn't expected it to preform like it does the only thing this little phone can't do is complex gaming.
edit- My 5 year old doesn't use the phone for calls so you will have to check that out for yourself but should be fine.
This is a new player on the market it is my experience that they usually start out with a strong and bargain product.
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic