Job offer in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Job offer in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yes, avoid. Nothing to see. :dragonchase: You'll get robbed, swindled by 'secret commissions', have to deal with beggars and shirtless, low life old barangs on Riverside, pushy hostess girls, minimarts pocketing 100 riel rounding on ur bill, your drinks will get spiked, tuktuk drivers will set you up with drugs and underage girls. Look what happened to this dude (teacher):

Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Username Taken wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:32 am Boeung Kak 1 is not Boeung Keng Kong.
OK good point I misread that.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

There is nothing in Boeung Kak 1 except dragons and the winding path to Mordor. I should know, I live there. Please move to Boeung Keng Kong, safety in numbers for travelers, and easy access to the Prancing Pony in Ballsack Lane.

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

It really depends on what your plans are career wise. If you are planning on going back to India or work in the region, take the job, stay for a solid two years, and dip when the time is right.

$1800 a month? That's enough for you to pay rent and travel around the region. You can't really save any money unless you decide to live like a local. If you decide to get a maid and be a baller on a budget, you will definitely end up broke. Make sure to have at least $10k saved up before you arrive. Between healthcare costs and dodgy legal practices, I would advise you to prepare for the worst just in case. Does your company provide health insurance? If yes, make sure to know exactly what's covered under your policy. Between the drunk driving locals/ Chinese and random diseases/ infections, it will come in handy.
Make sure you get at least a month off per year. You will need that month to fly away from Cambodia and recharge your batteries.

Boeung Kak 1 sucks nuts. There's nothing to do and real estate is more expensive there than in most places in PP. Check Khmer24 (Toul Kork). That'll give you an idea. Most expats kick it in the Riverside (you don't wanna move there. Believe me), BKK1, 2, 3, Toul Tom Poung areas.
https://www.khmer24.com/en/property/apa ... er_page=50

Post-grad from Georgia Tech trynna move to Cambodia? Let me guess, your OPT ran out and you gotta find something to do with your life?

Have you ever been to Cambodia? Visit the place before you make a decision. It's not for everyone to say the least.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:18 am
Jerry Atrick wrote:Dude, you can get a three bed apt for under $300.

Just don't do your shopping for apartments online.
Western style? Furnished? In BKK 1? And for under $300? Take a pic and show proof that it exists.
He's not looking in BKK1
imteyazahmad
Tourist
India

Post by imteyazahmad »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:10 am
imteyazahmad wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 pm Hello Members,

I got an opportunity to work as a Project Manager in construction industry for an mnc in their Phonm Penh office located in Sangkat Boeung Kak 1. They have offered around $1800 a month all in and they expect me to start from first week of August.
What's $ 1.800 all in?

They pay for paperwork (work permit, medical check, visa about 400$ a year)?
Medical insurance?
Income tax?
Flights in and out?
Bonuses?

<edit>
If it's just 1.800 and the rest is at your own expense then I'm not sure the deal's that great. You will spend at least 1 month's salary on relocating and paperwork, and your monthly salary after tax will be about 1.500-1.550.
</edit>
Thanks everyone for advice. Sorry for not being clear, it was supposed to be in hand salary. They have offered me $1800 after tax and other deductions. They are also taking care of flight, visa, employment card etc.
Salary tax will be taken care by the company. Other benefits for such as H&S insurance (health and surgery) and GPA (group personal accident) insurance. Further, for all engineers who are working on the same project and make profit for the project, they will receive bonuses according to company policy. Specially for you as a Project Manager, after 6 month (we like to see your potential) we can have a KPI bonus agreement which can offer you an additional benefit which will be based on our own achievement and commitment.

I have been to Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia before as a tourist for short stay, never to cambodia, but living is completely different from being a tourist.
I am not expecting to have a lavish life, but live a comfortable, enjoyable life.
I was thinking of Working in PP for one or two years, and i will have opportunity to experience a different culture, travel to other countries in SEA, enjoy life.
What will be a comparison of life and comfort between Phnom Penh and New Delhi? I am living as upper middle class in New delhi, with good and relaxing lifestyle.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Do it. You don't have to stay forever.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

andy_morris wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 pm Do it. You don't have to stay forever.
Yes do it, it's an adventure, a little like SAS selection, if you make it here for two years you will be proud of yourself.
PS Bring about 5 phones with you though as they tend to go missing as soon as you pull them out of your pocket.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

DaveG wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:54 pm if you make it here for two years you will be proud of yourself.
Isn't it cute how people become experts like that?

What's up all bitches I lived 2 years in the motherfucking Phnom Penh! I digress my Red Fox spring roll.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I have been to Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia before
Well, Cambodia is still way behind these countries in every way. I think it is still on the UN's 'Least Developed Countries' list.

I think it would be safe to refer to it as a 'basketcase'.

Not saying don't go, but keep your expectations very very low. If possible spend some time there before you decide or at least check out some videos on youtube or something.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic