Medication to help with concentration and alertness.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Medication to help with concentration and alertness.

Post by xandreu »

According to myth and legend, one of the more famous things that Cambodia is known for is the ability to buy over-the-counter drugs at will, without the hassle of getting a prescription from a doctor, as we'd usually have to do in the west.

I'm not a big drug taker of any kind - I'd have to have a serious migraine just to take some Dolipran, and have no interest in illegal substances for recreational use.

I've been looking into the kind of drugs that are freely available at pharmacies here lately, and they all seem to be of the sedative type - diazepram and the like (I say "and the like" because I've forgotten what the others are called, but I've researched them and they all seem to have the same sedative qualities)

Is anyone aware of anything I can buy over-the-counter which help with concentration and alertness? I have an extremely busy workload sometimes, and I can't stand coffee or red bull. Does anyone know of any mild medication you can get over-the-counter which helps with concentration and alertness? Something I can neck on the odd occasion when I really need to get things done?

Please keep your judgements to yourselves. This post is as-is. I'm not looking for a 'high'. Just something that might give my brain a bit of a much needed boost from time to time.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Medication to help with concentration and alertness.

Post by Username Taken »

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Preferably non herbal thanks
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Have a read of the article

Scientific American

Rigorous analysis finds that the drug modafinil significantly enhances cognition during complex tasks

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... rainpower/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

AndyKK wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:32 pm Have a read of the article

Scientific American

Rigorous analysis finds that the drug modafinil significantly enhances cognition during complex tasks

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... rainpower/
Interesting article. Any idea if it's available over-the-counter in Cambodia?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

you can't get modafinil or adderall in cambodia.
stimulants seem to be banned
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Sorry I have no idea. The only medication I have taken here, what would be on prescription in our own countries are antibiotics. Though I had a task 5 years back sourcing morphine for a friend whom had a short time left with his illness, he also gave me a prescription he had been given. They was to be found in the little westernised beach town, and plentiful.
So the task was to find the best effective brand at the right price.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 pm you can't get modafinil or adderall in cambodia.
That's a good valid point Frank. I wonder why that is. Then again there are plentiful on the so called black market.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:48 pm you can't get modafinil or adderall in cambodia.
That's exactly what my limited research has come up with. Medication of the sedative type seems to be plentiful here, but not stimulants.

The conspiracy theorist in me would conclude that the powers that be would rather, if one were to take drugs in the first place, a docile population who don't question things and feel relaxed and content with the status quo, rather than those stimulated and with the alertness to sit up and take notice.

But maybe that's a topic for off-line.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

But maybe that's a topic for off-line.

Weed is also illegal with other herbal plants. But the uppers certainly are for a bigger reason. Just look at the few drug crazy threads on the site now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic