Job interview, wish me luck

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Job interview, wish me luck

Post by Patcan »

O/20 in Canada....Could not get past the interview...
Top 10 % or maybe even top 10 graduating ...Loads of some of the lazy bastards who asked for my lecture notes and paid me money to do their assignments landed cushy jobs for life....Still converse with a couple of them....
A lot of it was my fault....Did not belong in that system and left 30 years ago only to return once...
C'est la vie..... Was hard on the parents and siblings who kind of never forgave me but the life choices you make are the life choices yoy make...Only seems to bite me in my dreams....
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Job interview was a long time ago for me. Former boss drove the interview. Meet everyone on team. One brief day of interviewing total.

Basic interview was what skills do you possess? These are the skills he needed. Did I have such skills? Where’s the proof of skills?

At the end of the interview day, Boss said you’re hired. No committee, no red tape.

Good luck, job seeker!
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Alex wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:13 pm The only job interview I ever had to endure being the applicant was for a research assistant position at college. Nobody wanted the job, to be blunt, so the professor more or less just went through the motions.

Even now, after having been sitting on the other side of the table for two decades, I still dislike job interviews. The lies, the pretense, the waste of time.

OP, best of luck to you!
I was in the same situation for the longest time. The ones who seemed to be the most qualified turned out to be terrible employees. It was when I started hiring the least qualified that we really found great employees.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Marty wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:07 am
Alex wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:13 pm The only job interview I ever had to endure being the applicant was for a research assistant position at college. Nobody wanted the job, to be blunt, so the professor more or less just went through the motions.

Even now, after having been sitting on the other side of the table for two decades, I still dislike job interviews. The lies, the pretense, the waste of time.

OP, best of luck to you!
I was in the same situation for the longest time. The ones who seemed to be the most qualified turned out to be terrible employees. It was when I started hiring the least qualified that we really found great employees.
what a load of BS. You were probably hired the same way and the company went down the drain.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

truffledog wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:08 pm
Marty wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:07 am

OP, best of luck to you!
what a load of BS. You were probably hired the same way and the company went down the drain.
Thank you for your confidence. I was saving the best info for last. The absolute very best employees were those I hired completely at random. That's right. Never read their CV, didn't listen to a word they said in interviews, instead listened to metal music blasting thru hidden earphones.

As far as companies hiring me goes, I made an entire 35 year career out of doing the least for the most amount of pay. And I never gave a toss about whether the company did well or not. Jobs were plentiful. It paid off too, as I find myself retired in a tropical paradise, lighting my cigars with 20 peso notes!
Elige
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Elige »

Lobanica wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Patcan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 pm I was 0/20 in job interviews in my home country and 19/20 for job interviews in Thailand.
I am very interested in why this happened. You didn't want to work or you didn't have the opportunity. I am a programmer by profession and when I graduated from university, I started looking for a job in my specialty. About 10 times I was rejected because they saw that I was inexperienced and young. I was already desperate, I thought that I had wasted my time at the university and I was not a good programmer. But my best friend, who studied with me, found a job very quickly. And he recommended me to a company that helps with writing a thank-you letter . I didn't even know what it was. But as soon as I sent my resume to another company, and after the interview, they sent a thank-you letter, I was hired. How the fuck does this work, my friend is a fucking genius?
Your friend really genius
Elige
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Elige »

Lobanica wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Patcan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 pm I was 0/20 in job interviews in my home country and 19/20 for job interviews in Thailand.
I am very interested in why this happened. You didn't want to work or you didn't have the opportunity. I am a programmer by profession and when I graduated from university, I started looking for a job in my specialty. About 10 times I was rejected because they saw that I was inexperienced and young. I was already desperate, I thought that I had wasted my time at the university and I was not a good programmer. But my best friend, who studied with me, found a job very quickly. And he recommended me to a company that helps with writing a thank-you letter . I didn't even know what it was. But as soon as I sent my resume to another company, and after the interview, they sent a thank-you letter, I was hired. How the fuck does this work, my friend is a fucking genius?
I am very interested in why this happened. You didn't want to work or you didn't have the opportunity. I am a programmer by profession and when I graduated from university, I started looking for a job in my specialty. About 10 times I was rejected because they saw that I was inexperienced and young. I was already desperate, thought that I had wasted my time at the university and I was not a good programmer. But my best friend, who studied with me, found a job very quickly. And he recommended me to [Admin Edit: Spam deleted and you banned.] writing a thank-you letter . I didn't even know what it was. But as soon as I sent my resume to another company, and after the interview, they sent a thank-you letter, I was hired. How the fuck does this work, my friend is a fucking genius?
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

OP, what ended up happening??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic