Question for long term expats, future planning?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Question for long term expats, future planning?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Roadie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm I've had the same thoughts about buying here. In 18 months in Kow I've watched land prices climb like crazy, lots and lots of houses being built and the number of cars seeming to double. Seeing I haven't been here long enough I'm guessing this is all fired by chinese spending lots and it flowing down the line. In Sydney when the chinese were buying up prices shot up then when they stopped buying prices dropped again. So my question is when will the chinese decide they've bought enough and will the whole cycle stop and prices start dropping again. It seems to me like prices are too high. They've climbed too fast to hold up there unless wages grow for average workers here.
My guess is whenever or if the bubble pops in China. Given the dependency on China, I would think if China catches a cold Cambodia will get a chill.

Will the trade war bring it about? We'll have to see how that pans out. But already we are seeing real examples of what it might mean for consumers if for example, they avoid buying Huawei phones due to not having access to google playstore et al.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

They are cut off from Android OS, not just playstore
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 pm
Roadie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm I've had the same thoughts about buying here. In 18 months in Kow I've watched land prices climb like crazy, lots and lots of houses being built and the number of cars seeming to double. Seeing I haven't been here long enough I'm guessing this is all fired by chinese spending lots and it flowing down the line. In Sydney when the chinese were buying up prices shot up then when they stopped buying prices dropped again. So my question is when will the chinese decide they've bought enough and will the whole cycle stop and prices start dropping again. It seems to me like prices are too high. They've climbed too fast to hold up there unless wages grow for average workers here.
When will laundering be taken seriously?
When there will be sanctions and they will threaten to kick Cambodia of the SWIFT system.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic