Question for long term expats, future planning?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Question for long term expats, future planning?

Post by logos »

This thread was a good read and offered some good insights.

Then explorer posted his usual mediocre platitudes.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

logos wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 pm This thread was a good read and offered some good insights.

:thumb:

Anyone looking at residing outside their own country needs to consider many things;

1st is changing visa rules/requirements
2nd is having enough $$ to make it thru the night
3rd is medical
4th as corny as it sounds...Happiness

I've been out of the states, ( except for 2 years at 2 different times) since 1979 and these are the things i have on my mind for years since i passed 55 long ago.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 pm
logos wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 pm This thread was a good read and offered some good insights.

:thumb:

Anyone looking at residing outside their own country needs to consider many things;

3rd is medical

I've been out of the states, ( except for 2 years at 2 different times) since 1979 and these are the things i have on my mind for years since i passed 55 long ago.
And:

5th an escape route back to your country, else the police give you a stylish, ill-fitting shirt from their "shirts for perps" cupboard :hattip:

A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 pm
3rd is medical
Besides the first two, those are reasons are actually two big reasons I'm set on leaving the U.S.
Phnom Pen Company
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Phnom Pen Company »

Preface: I've had a few beers

If you have some money, look at www.AGCambodia.com for some insurance choices. They are a broker, and seem to only use French insurance companies. The coverage is only for SE Asia. Depending on the company (they will offer you the most expensive option first.), it covers more than just health. I got a quote of $30 a month with a company called April for $250,000 including medevac to Thailand for my son. Surprisingly, it was also $30 for me, and then another $30 for my Khmer wife. $30 a month is not that bad if something happens. I was also told that Prudential (I believe that is the name) is a company here that offers some $10,000/$20,000 policies for much cheaper.

That is my thought on "planning ahead."

You do not want to be a GoFundme on CEO about healthcare.

Also, your work should give you a "national health insurance card" which is only good for about $500 at public hospitals. It can be a difficult conversation with your boss though if you bring up the "Prakas" behind it.

On another note, I worked from age 15 until 27 in the U.S., I got a quote for my social security at about $1,100 a month when I hit 65. You can go on the SS website and see how much you have contributed. You can also see a projection of how much you will get at retirement age. That is another 30+ years from my age, but I am planning to move back in about 5-7 years with the family. I do not put any faith in social security being around in 30 years.

I can really relate with you on how things are in the states. If I were you, I would spend some time here and enjoy it. Do not get involved in any nonsense and then return home with that mindset. Apply for a pell grant ( because your income is not taxable here under X amount of money and you need to file your taxes so you can apply for FAFSA.) and then get some student loans, do the whole "get into debt" thing ( as one does in America if you don't have the G.I. bill.) and get your degree. Then I would suggest moving to Hanoi, South Korea, or Japan, where you can save more money. Pay off those debts. Go back to the states for your Masters Degree in linguistics, education, or English. You can even apply for a doctorate in some countries in Asia for a cheaper price. ( That is assuming you are interested in teaching.) Another option is to actually enroll in college here in Cambodia. Tuition is dirt cheap, but the degrees are recognized throughout ASEAN (please correct me if I am wrong because I was thinking about pursuing a masters degree here.)

But before you sign any paperwork with student loans, or any of that stuff. Be sure to sign it with a Phnom Pen Company Pen. A Pen that you can dePENd on.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I would love to set down roots here. Phnom Penh especially is on the up, very quickly, and it's clear even to those who've never invested a penny in anything that there are riches to be had here, you just need a bit of clout.

But I share your concerns over the unpredictability of the legislation and political changes. Who knows what could happen in the future? It's the only thing holding me back from making any firm commitments to the place. I know that I'd never set foot back in my home country again and I'm perfectly happy with the life I've built up in the few years I've resided here. I'm often coming across what appears to be great long-term investment opportunities, but I just can't shut that little man in the back of my head up who keeps reminding me of the volatile nature of the place.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet in the near future, but for now, this is a great post and I'm sure it's something most of us think about as we go about our days.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

explorer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm Some people seem to cut ties with their country of origin, spend most of their money, and it becomes difficult to go back.

I plan to live in Australia if visas get too difficult in Cambodia, or my finances run low, or I have health problems. But then it is difficult to know what any of us might do in the future.

" But then it is difficult to know what any of us might do in the future"

Future !!!!!, with the shit food and people getting their heads chopped off i'll be happy if I make the weekend, and never mind the chance of being fried alive in the shower :o
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I've had the same thoughts about buying here. In 18 months in Kow I've watched land prices climb like crazy, lots and lots of houses being built and the number of cars seeming to double. Seeing I haven't been here long enough I'm guessing this is all fired by chinese spending lots and it flowing down the line. In Sydney when the chinese were buying up prices shot up then when they stopped buying prices dropped again. So my question is when will the chinese decide they've bought enough and will the whole cycle stop and prices start dropping again. It seems to me like prices are too high. They've climbed too fast to hold up there unless wages grow for average workers here.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Roadie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm I've had the same thoughts about buying here. In 18 months in Kow I've watched land prices climb like crazy, lots and lots of houses being built and the number of cars seeming to double. Seeing I haven't been here long enough I'm guessing this is all fired by chinese spending lots and it flowing down the line. In Sydney when the chinese were buying up prices shot up then when they stopped buying prices dropped again. So my question is when will the chinese decide they've bought enough and will the whole cycle stop and prices start dropping again. It seems to me like prices are too high. They've climbed too fast to hold up there unless wages grow for average workers here.
Invest in Australia. Dont invest in Cambodia.

Yes prices will drop. I dont think anyone can predict when.

The number of cars and motorbikes has been increasing ever since the war. During the war, poverty was massively worse than it is now. Very few people could afford cars. Slowly, people are getting more money, and more people are able to afford cars. Traffic in Phnom Penh is bad now. In years to come it will be much worse.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Roadie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm I've had the same thoughts about buying here. In 18 months in Kow I've watched land prices climb like crazy, lots and lots of houses being built and the number of cars seeming to double. Seeing I haven't been here long enough I'm guessing this is all fired by chinese spending lots and it flowing down the line. In Sydney when the chinese were buying up prices shot up then when they stopped buying prices dropped again. So my question is when will the chinese decide they've bought enough and will the whole cycle stop and prices start dropping again. It seems to me like prices are too high. They've climbed too fast to hold up there unless wages grow for average workers here.
When will laundering be taken seriously?

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic