WARNING to everyone Shocking Shower

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

WARNING to everyone Shocking Shower

Post by atst »

How the fuck does a shower tap handle become connect across the Mains power
My girlfriend got a nasty electric shock as she turned on the shower
15 minutes earlier I had a shower no problem but what would have happened if whatever cause the shower to be connected across the main power while I was under it , I presume I'd be dead now

We are in a hotel in Siem Reap
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: WARNING to everyone Shocking Shower

Post by Cruisemonkey »

atst wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 am How the fuck does a shower tap handle become connect across the Mains power
Water heater and incompetent Cambodian 'electrician'.
You could be next.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they never earth the electric circuits
and i mean NEVER
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Perhaps heading should be DANGER warning don't take showers in Cambodia
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Lucky you werent dead in the hotel shower another "heart attack" victom.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

canucklhead wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:30 am Lucky you werent dead in the hotel shower another "heart attack" victom.
To true,
but from now till I leave Cambodia it's cold showers for me , frightening stuff when you think about it and if hotels have only taps as this hotel has I'm not booking in.
My girlfriend arm is still sore from the shock she received
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Most things fuked in Cambodia you can laugh about but this shit will kill ya and you won't see it coming
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

atst wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:46 am Most things fuked in Cambodia you can laugh about but this shit will kill ya and you won't see it coming
You are 100% correct, it is fuked. Materials and workmanship are poor, fuked. There is no such thing as pride of workmanship in Cambodia, ever, and it will eventually kill ya if you spend enough time there. Probably of a heart attack.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The traditional bucket shower could save your life.

NSFW
Spoiler:
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

If anyone knows a good electrician who understands grounding principles, might be good to have their info posted here so those can get their places or at least their water heater wired up properly. I live in one of the 1% of places that actually has properly grounded power, but for the other 99% that don't, let's get people taken care of.

Just a note, once you ground the power to your water heater, then you enable to already present auto shutdown circuit to function properly, and better yet, you can test it by the simple press of a button to make sure it's working, (might be labeled ELD or RCD). If it shuts off your water heater, you're good and it should protect you from any events like the OP experiences.

If you can't find anyone to ground your power and you live in a house, buy a length of regular concrete rebar perhaps a meter long, and then have someone solder some copper wire to it and then run that length into your bathroom and connect that wire to the ground area of your water heater, then pound the rod into the ground and bury it (vertically), for temporary measure.

This will allow your auto shut down function on your water heater to function as it should and hopefully avoid any unnecessary shocks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic