WARNING to everyone Shocking Shower

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: WARNING to everyone Shocking Shower

Post by beaker »

grounding is not that difficult to do, basically it is a copper rod pounded into the ground with a wire connected to you system
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

A10 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 am If you can't find anyone to ground your power and you live in a house, buy a length of regular concrete rebar perhaps a meter long, and then have someone solder some copper wire to it and then run that length into your bathroom and connect that wire to the ground area of your water heater, then pound the rod into the ground and bury it (vertically), for temporary measure.
You can clamp the wire to it.
beaker wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 pm grounding is not that difficult to do, basically it is a copper rod pounded into the ground with a wire connected to you system
It can be copper. It can be steel.

I suggest putting it in a place which should remain moist, such as near a tap.

You have a Cambodian owner who doesnt care, and wont spend the money, so you spend the money for something which should be done before you move in. Everyone decide for themselves if you want to spend the money. If you are only staying for a short time, maybe just disconnect the water heater.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Ricky Shaw
Expatriate
Djibouti

Post by Ricky Shaw »

At least you have water!
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

explorer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:40 pm You can clamp the wire to it.
Correct, my typing skipped a beat and I should have said you solder it to a connector then attach it to the rod. Can be done either with a hand clamp or a locking clamp like a battery terminal.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

there was a few death in los from taking shower

apparently the hot water heater mounted to the wall in the shower itself caused the deaths due to electrical wire in the unit had short circuited due to broken insulation & the water running through the unit had become live

shouldnt surge protectors safeguard against that?
thru shit to more shit
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

markd wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 pm there was a few death in los from taking shower

apparently the hot water heater mounted to the wall in the shower itself caused the deaths due to electrical wire in the unit had short circuited due to broken insulation & the water running through the unit had become live

shouldnt surge protectors safeguard against that?
Ha ha ha ha....................sorry....................you are in KoW remember!!!!!!!!!!!!
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

markd wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 pm shouldnt surge protectors safeguard against that?
That's what the RCD is for, because it trips on as little as 20-30 milliamps whereas the surge protector is going to need almost 20 amps minimum (on a water heater circuit) to trip, which is going to be lethal.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Well the compitant electrical people have fixed the hot water in the hotel for the apartment I was in last night don't think they checked all the other apartments anyway all this talk about earthing and circuit tripping is very assuring if only someone in Cambodia cared
As suggested before just another heart attack
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I'm tired off for a shower and bed
Ohh sit haven't made my WILL yet bugga
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

beaker wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 pm grounding is not that difficult to do, basically it is a copper rod pounded into the ground with a wire connected to you system
I've wired up a few places but I'm no expert on electricity, as far as I know it can be very dangerous to put in an earth on a local system which is working on a double-insulated system. If any actual electricians are on here maybe they can chime in?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic