Police Check for Time Volunteering in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
travel1234
Tourist

Police Check for Time Volunteering in Cambodia

Post by travel1234 »

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been posted about but I can’t seem to find any info anywhere.

I’ve been volunteering as a teacher in a school for 2 months now and am going to be doing teacher training when I return to the UK. The UK school have requested a police check for my time in Cambodia as part of their DBS requirement, but I am wondering if it is possible to get the residence certificate to get the police check as I haven’t got a rental agreement. As part of the volunteering I stay at the school for free, so there is nothing formal in place. The UK school have suggested a letter from the Cambodian school giving details of where I’ve been staying, but I’m wondering if that will work/be enough? Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Cheers
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Police Check for Time Volunteering in Cambodia

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Have the school assist you in obtaining the Certificate of Residence from the local Sangkat, simple.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I'm surprised they're asking you for a police check for such a short period spent in Cambodia...it's normally only requested for any country that you have resided in for 6+ months.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:42 pm Have the school assist you in obtaining the Certificate of Residence from the local Sangkat, simple.
In theory, it's simple. However, the Certificate of Resisnence for the ministry of Justice needs to have a certain format, otherwise the MoJ won't process. Make sure the Sangkat knows the format, if not let the contact the MoJ.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:50 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:42 pm Have the school assist you in obtaining the Certificate of Residence from the local Sangkat, simple.
In theory, it's simple. However, the Certificate of Resisnence for the ministry of Justice needs to have a certain format, otherwise the MoJ won't process. Make sure the Sangkat knows the format, if not let the contact the MoJ.
Yea, you can get a sample format from the MoJ, or search this forum as I have posted a sample on other threads about Cambodian Police Checks.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:15 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:50 pm
Yea, you can get a sample format from the MoJ, or search this forum as I have posted a sample on other threads about Cambodian Police Checks.
How to obtain a police clearance report from Cambodia
The Embassy is unable to assist citizens in obtaining a police clearance certificate from Cambodian authorities.

Police Certificate
To obtain a report, foreigners should go to the Criminal Office at the Ministry of Justice to request a Police Certificate. There are two different fees:
    •   250,000 Riels (approximately USD62.5) for regular service which takes around 20 days, or
    •   500,000 Riels (approximately USD125.00) for expedited service which takes around 12 days.

Applicants should have the following documents:
    •   A completed application form. This form can be obtained at the Criminal Office;
    •   One photograph (size 4cm x 6cm);
    •   A bio-information form;
    •   A copy of the biographical page of the passport;
    •   Copies of the first and last Cambodian visas showing dates of arrival. 
    •   A Residence Certification Letter * from the commune (sangkat) office where the applicant resides and/or resided whilst in Cambodia.

Applicants can authorise someone to apply for the Police Certificate for him/her. The applicant should complete an authorization form (the sample of the form is available at Criminal Office at Ministry of Justice), who can submit the completed forms at the Criminal Office. However, if the applicant is in Cambodia, they will be required to submit the form for themselves.

Residence Certification Letter*
A Residence Certification Letter is required when applying for a Police Certificate. To obtain this document, foreigners should go to the local commune (sangkat) office where the applicant resides/ resided in Cambodia to request the letter. There is a no-standard administrative fee for the provision of this letter.

Applicants should bring the following documents:
    •   If he/she is Cambodian: ID card, family book/ residence book, and house rental agreement (if he/ she did not own a house).
    •   If he/she is a foreigner: Passport, house rental agreement, job letter and other related documents to support the claim of residence.

Note:

The information in the residence certificate letter includes:
   1.   name of resident
   2.   house address
   3.   how long/length of stay that the resident stayed/ has stayed at that address.

The applicant may authorize someone living in Cambodia to apply for this letter for them. The applicant will need to provide an authorization letter for that person. However acceptance of this letter will be dependent on the commune (sangkat) office. There is no national standard for this type of work.

To ease the process, foreigners are advised to request a Residence Certification Letter from their local commune (sangkat) office prior to leaving their Cambodian place of residence.

ask-the-expats-questions-answers/police ... ml#p143300
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Sorry General, incomplete info,
General Mackevili wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:30 pmThe information in the residence certificate letter includes:
1. name of resident
2. house address
3. how long/length of stay that the resident stayed/ has stayed at that address.
That won't do. Info about your parents is obligatory too, name of both, place of birth, day of birth, and profession if I recall correctly.

Again, make sure you get the correct format for your 'Certificate of Residency' or you'll be wasting time and money. I went through the process myself last November and it was a pain in the @ss because my local Sangkat had zero knowledge. Here's a great contact though: 012-583613. Let your Sangkat contact her in case they don't know.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

https://ibb.co/1R1QmJ9

Can't upload image for some reason, check link I have uploaded the sample format template for the Certificate of Residence
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Here's one you posted here.

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Thanks UT :beer3: