British Woman CLAIRE LEMASURIER Wants You to Give Her £20,000 on GoFundMe for Holiday to Cambodia & Beyond

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: British Woman CLAIRE LEMASURIER Wants You to Give Her £20,000 on GoFundMe for Holiday to Cambodia & Beyond

Post by phuketrichard »

why was this even posted??
Is ceo Cambodia news that desperate for new threads :stir:

go fund me
Created August 15, 2018
£280 of £20,000 goal
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: British Woman CLAIRE LEMASURIER Wants You to Give Her £20,000 on GoFundMe for Holiday to Cambodia & Beyond

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 pm :please:
she wants a free world trip

i recall many many times that my daughter and friends ran races and raised money for charities with ALL the money going to said charity,
People would sponsor when they ran 2, 5, 20 kms.

same goes on everywhere with people entering marathons to raise AWARENESS AND money for a good cause, climbing mtns, driving tuk tuk from A to B, ( https://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2017/0 ... challenge/) swimming oceans to raise money
BUT they dont ask for money to do it!!!
Thanks Rich', it is good to hear about your daughters efforts. Congratulations to you too for having a daughter who does this kind of thing. I mean that sincerely.
I really don't want't to get into a fight with you guys about the ideals of charity. We all have our particular values around that.

I think i get your point too - it is not all charity you object too, just the concept of her asking for donors to pay the costs. ??
Unfortunately (sigh), these days only a relatively small part of charity fund raising can be obtained by purist "100%
to charity" initiatives. Like everything else this sector has largely been corporatised, globalised and social media-ised.

That is simply the way of the world - and the hard core reality of raising the millions that modern charities need to do their crucial work. I don't particularly like it either, but as well as being a Dreamer and a Cynic, I am also a hardcore Realist. (you need all three here)

What Claire is doing is by no means unusual. Fair enough if you don't agree to this business model, but i will make the point that this kind of thing raises millions of entirely legitimate charity dollars.

Yeah, and some people get to climb mountains and swim oceans too. :facepalm:
(better than charity marketing costs being spent on ads for late night TV - or the public subsidising 30-50% of $$$ raised from the corporate donation/tax deduction model)

Anyway PR, your daughter's example shows that there are a million different ways that millions of people do their own little charity thing. Maybe we are not all so bad after all..
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 pm why was this even posted??
Is ceo Cambodia news that desperate for new threads :stir:

go fund me
Created August 15, 2018
£280 of £20,000 goal
It's a DISCUSSION forum, and it looks like you've already been discussing it, twice, before this post.

Do you want an apology from us for spending our time trying to bring you topics that you've made 3 posts on? You won't be getting one. :stir:

And her journey was supposed to have started last month and will continue into 2020.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Well, at least Claire has the support of some...

Robert Maltby <[email protected]>
9:12 PM (34 minutes ago)

Dear Stern,
Your email below has been passed on to myself at St Luke’s Hospice Plymouth.

Here is our response as requested.

A spokesperson at St Luke’s Hospice Plymouth said: “We have been saddened to see the negativity expressed in some of the comments here.

While we recognise that everyone will have their own opinion on this type of fundraising, we want to make it clear that we are fully supportive of Claire and grateful for her dedication to making a difference for terminally ill people, including those in her own community.

She has a proven record of generously giving her time to volunteer for St Luke’s as well as raising much needed funds for our charity, and is putting in many hours of training to reach the peak fitness needed for the challenges she is undertaking in aid of our compassionate care.

As with all fundraising expeditions, there are basic logistical costs that have to be met, but all funds Claire raises above these basic outgoings will directly benefit our vital service.

It is the dedication of volunteers and fundraisers like Claire that ensure our work continues and which does so much to highlight the importance of hospice care.”

Best wishes

Robert Maltby

Head of Communications and Marketing

St Luke's Hospice Plymouth
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Judging by the website and the newspaper articles it looks as though she is planning to raise around 40k from the trip.

I’d agree with some that asking to cover personal costs rather than going straight to the charity is not great but it’s still all for a good cause.

I do think it would be beneficial to her if she was more transparent with the trip costings as the go fund me post is pretty sparse.

At least it is not raising money for a missionary trip or working 2 days at an elephant sanctuary! :stir:
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Probably halfway across the English Chanel on a boogie board by now.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Well, Claire has been very upset with CEO over this story, especially us calling it a 'holiday,' and St Luke's Hospice Plymouth has responded on our Facebook page. They mention that she does get some funds from it, so she's not covering her 'trip' all by herself, and I've asked for clarification if they will tell us how much she's actually keeping:

“We have been saddened to see the negativity expressed in some of the comments here.

While we recognise that everyone will have their own opinion on this type of fundraising, we want to make it clear that we are fully supportive of Claire and grateful for her dedication to making a difference for terminally ill people, including those in her own community.

She has a proven record of generously giving her time to volunteer for St Luke’s as well as raising much needed funds for our charity, and is putting in many hours of training to reach the peak fitness needed for the challenges she is undertaking in aid of our compassionate care.

As with all fundraising expeditions, there are basic logistical costs that have to be met, but all funds Claire raises above these basic outgoings will directly benefit our vital service.

It is the dedication of volunteers and fundraisers like Claire that ensure our work continues and which does so much to highlight the importance of hospice care.”

We'll have to wait for an answer and see how transparent they are about these 'fundraising' trips.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Like all travel , food and accommodations paid
Unless she is independently wealthy, which i doubt, it all costs

Hell , i'll do the same for them if they ask and pay my way
anything left over..... their welcome too.
:beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:46 pm Well, Claire has been very upset with CEO over this story, especially us calling it a 'holiday,' and St Luke's Hospice Plymouth has responded on our Facebook page. They mention that she does get some funds from it, so she's not covering her 'trip' all by herself, and I've asked for clarification if they will tell us how much she's actually keeping:

“We have been saddened to see the negativity expressed in some of the comments here.

We'll have to wait for an answer and see how transparent they are about these 'fundraising' trips.
If they have an ounce of initiative they would take this story and the CEO derision to a tabloid to maximize publicity.
I bet that would jump-start those donations!

I will even waive my consultancy fee for this advise given it is a worthy cause after all.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Despite the issue of her travel costs, it seems to me the hospital are of the view that any funds she can raise for them would be supplementary over and above what they would otherwise get via their own direct donation website?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic