British Woman CLAIRE LEMASURIER Wants You to Give Her £20,000 on GoFundMe for Holiday to Cambodia & Beyond

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: British Woman CLAIRE LEMASURIER Wants You to Give Her £20,000 on GoFundMe for Holiday to Cambodia & Beyond

Post by phuketrichard »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:33 am
IraHayes wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:55 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:30 pm
xandreu wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:15 pm Should you choose to donate to St Luke's Hospice Plymouth, without contributing to this freeloader's lifestyle, here's the link.

https://www.stlukes-hospice.org.uk/donations/
Freeloader??

Jeez some people are sour at the world ain't they.
Pathetic nay sayers.

Good luck Claire - you are a hero in my book.
This is sarcasm... please tell me this is sarcasm.
If not how is asking for 20k to fund what essentially amounts to a Holliday makes someone a hero?
Hey Ira, thanks for the Q's. No, not sarcasm.
Too late now for a serious discussion on charity initiatives, I'll get back to you tomorrow.

I will congratulate you though, on your extremely lofty definition of a "holiday".
how can ANYONE be a hero if their asking people to give them money to fund an adventure around the world?
:please:

NOW if she was saying she was going to this on her own dime and climb xx mtns, walk xxx miles, swim xxx kms and asked people to donate to the charity it would be different.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: British Woman CLAIRE LEMASURIER Wants You to Give Her £20,000 on GoFundMe for Holiday to Cambodia & Beyond

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

You grumpy old curmudgeons call Claire a "freeloader".

I call her her an "inspiration". (and an extreme overachiever in many fields)

KPMG calls her "Corporate Responsibility Manager" (for the past decade or so)

Who do you reckon is right?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have no opinion on her, but if she's such an overachiever why doesn't she have $1800 to stump up for the cats flights, or their vaccinations?
It's not a lot of money.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:50 pm I have no opinion on her, but if she's such an overachiever why doesn't she have $1800 to stump up for the cats flights, or their vaccinations?
It's not a lot of money.
That's a good point, Claire ought to come up with at least $1,800 to repatriate the cats and get them vaccinated. Perhaps she will start another goscamyou for that!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Wrong thread, lol
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

If she’s such a high flyer why does she need to raise money for her travels?

I’d be far more impressed if all the donations were actually going to the charity.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:50 pm I have no opinion on her, but if she's such an overachiever why doesn't she have $1800 to stump up for the cats flights, or their vaccinations?
It's not a lot of money.
Hey Jerry. It is just a normal part of this very successful charity fund-raising business model.
(successful on many levels, not only financially)
Of course there are costs involved, and like in any business venture the profits come after you cover the costs.

All types of charity fund raising involves substantial costs.
Even the one possible exception, direct donation, does not really work unless the charity raises its profile and stirs people into a charitable mood. You gotta rattle the can, and Claires project does just that.
(eg, Xandreu put the word out to donate directly to St Lukes solely because of the publicity generated by Claire)

I betya a hundred bucks she raises a stack of Sterlings for a few extra facilities that will sweeten the lives of St Lukes Hospice clients. Extras, maybe even life saving extras, that they would not have otherwise got.
A hundred bucks, I'm serious.

And the donors love the giving too. (much more than being taxed). You may find that hard to comprehend but millions don't.

Besides Jerry, inspirational adventuring is a worthy endeavour in itself. The human spirit does need to soar above the humdrum occasionally - stretch itself, push the limits, take the plunge, climb the mountain, swim the ocean, be creative, foster goodwill, etc.
Doesn't it?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:10 pm Wrong thread, lol
Exactly Jerry. Good to see some discernment between two vastly different ventures - one stupid, and one noble.

Ohh for a bit more properly targeted scepticism.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

:please:
she wants a free world trip

i recall many many times that my daughter and friends ran races and raised money for charities with ALL the money going to said charity,
People would sponsor when they ran 2, 5, 20 kms.

same goes on everywhere with people entering marathons to raise AWARENESS AND money for a good cause, climbing mtns, driving tuk tuk from A to B, ( https://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2017/0 ... challenge/) swimming oceans to raise money
BUT they dont ask for money to do it!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

I notice it doesn't say anywhere how much of the money will go towards covering the cost of the trip (and presumably childcare as she'd be leaving her two kids behind) and how much will actually go to the charity she claims to be trying to help. It would be interesting to know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic