Sudden deaths of young tourists / expats in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 26Yo British LEWIS DAVIES Dies in Riverside Backpackers

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

pczz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:04 pm
Tarndog wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:04 am
Sweet Lemon wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:12 am I'm with UT above;
Why do so many here feel the need to post BS/speculation about someone they don't know who has died?
Have you all no compassion?
Cambodia doesn't do autopsies. No one has any confidence in Cambodian medical examiners It's not uncommon when Westerners die in Cambodia that someone posts maybe he slipped on tiles, maybe it was drugs, maybe he drank himself to death, maybe it was his underlying medical condition, maybe he didn't commit suicide like the police say, maybe it was murder.

For some reason though it's only the speculation that drugs kill these young people that posters get angry about. Speculation about other natural or unnatural causes of death is fine.
Ohh no, just speculating that a foreigner was killed/poisoned/drugged by a Khmer will put you smack dab in the firing line of a couple posters on here, because as we all should know, Khmer are upstanding, non-savage people who don't seek to profit insidiously of off barang.
I preume you are being sarcastic. Far more likely to have drugs slipped you by a foreigner at a beach paty than khmer. Not saying it doesnt happen, but insinuating all khmer are savage and dishonest is crap. Foreigners don'tt wear a helmet (against the law) , drives drunk ( against the law), takes drugs ( against the law), indulging in prostitution (against the law), paying polcie bribes9 against the law). :facepalm: Westerners are such fine upstanding law abiding people... not :stir:
I can never understand why one would choose to live in a country where they have absolutely no respect for the people.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 26Yo British LEWIS DAVIES Dies in Riverside Backpackers

Post by pczz »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 am
pczz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:04 pm
Tarndog wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:04 am
Sweet Lemon wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:12 am I'm with UT above;
Why do so many here feel the need to post BS/speculation about someone they don't know who has died?
Have you all no compassion?
Cambodia doesn't do autopsies. No one has any confidence in Cambodian medical examiners It's not uncommon when Westerners die in Cambodia that someone posts maybe he slipped on tiles, maybe it was drugs, maybe he drank himself to death, maybe it was his underlying medical condition, maybe he didn't commit suicide like the police say, maybe it was murder.

For some reason though it's only the speculation that drugs kill these young people that posters get angry about. Speculation about other natural or unnatural causes of death is fine.
Ohh no, just speculating that a foreigner was killed/poisoned/drugged by a Khmer will put you smack dab in the firing line of a couple posters on here, because as we all should know, Khmer are upstanding, non-savage people who don't seek to profit insidiously of off barang.
I preume you are being sarcastic. Far more likely to have drugs slipped you by a foreigner at a beach paty than khmer. Not saying it doesnt happen, but insinuating all khmer are savage and dishonest is crap. Foreigners don'tt wear a helmet (against the law) , drives drunk ( against the law), takes drugs ( against the law), indulging in prostitution (against the law), paying polcie bribes9 against the law). :facepalm: Westerners are such fine upstanding law abiding people... not :stir:
I can never understand why one would choose to live in a country where they have absolutely no respect for the people.
because its warm and cheap, They can get drunk, high and laid which many of them cannot afford to do at home. the people are just there to serve their needs. they have no interst in the poverty or sufferring of the local population. In fact it would be bad for them if things improved. they would have to pay more! If you got $1000 a month you can live well in Cambodia as opposed to be the lowest of the low back home
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Sudden deaths of young tourists / expats in Cambodia

Post by BR549 »

I recall a religion class at the Jesuit highschool I attended on the 70s and the lay teacher Mr. Acker was smoking a camel non filter in the classroom talking about suicide being a mortal sin. I was in 10th grade..13 years old and not Catholic.
My dad had killed himself 2 years earlier.
I came away thinking that if cigarettes caused cancer and heart disease...then, wouldn't smoking be committing suicide?
That school was like prison after that..I got out 3 years later and never went back.
I guess lsd went up.
I had a friend in about 1982 who had a large zip lock bag of it he diluted and made microdot tabs with.
We would run our fingers up the side of the bag and lick them...Never put your finger tip into the powder was the rule.
I had very clean acid in Sihanoukville and excellent shrooms...in the last few years several times.
Acid was on a fig newton cookie.
People into ice..and hard shit take whatever they get.
Who knows what it is cut with or strength?
A person can get pharmacy drugs and mix them and have a horrible result.
I feel for all who die young or by their own hand or accident.
I sure don't judge.
Why is there such a curiosity as to how someone you don't know died?
Please show me 1 country that respects its citizens.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

It's rumored that a lot of these 'heart attack' deathe are likely to be from peepschool messing about with stuff they do not understand.
In Cambodia things ain't always what they seem and tourists need to watch their own backs.

The beer is cheap as ever and I don't know anyone who died from it.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cleaned up some posts. On topic please in Cambodia.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:22 am
The beer is cheap as ever and I don't know anyone who died from it.
I try on a regular basis.. :beer2:
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Flexxman wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:57 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 pm I am sure counterfeit alcohol is also to blame.
What sort of counterfeit alcohol?
The cheap sort used by locals, sometimes laced with pesticides. Like the Arak in Indonesia (sometimes blinding tourists on Bali as the real brands are quite expensive and not used in those cheap jungle-juice cocktails). This does not apply to the regular cheap wholesale alcohol. The cheap wodka at around $4/bottle for sale in most supermarkets is also available in 5 litre plastic jerry-cans at even lower prices. That stuff gets poured over into bottles then used in cheap cocktails and buckets. That is also why 'expensive' empty bottles will sometimes get salvaged by Khmer guys from your trash.

When the Led Zephyr in Sihanoukville sold double-wodka-double-red-bull for just $2,50 at their happy hour, I was amazed they could do that. The barkeeper told me that the costs from expensive to cheap were: the red bull (or local equivalent), the plastic cup, the ice-cubes, the wodka. Off course he was joking but with wodka at $2/litre it probaby was not too far from the truth. Also, Utopia Sihanoukville was at the time rumoured to produce some of the liquor sold themselves.

wouldn't be surprised if fake alcohol was on the rise, it has been a huge problem in china and with the current influx of Chinese mitigation, this shity scam may have followed
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Not pesticides but METHANOL that causes the blindness 8)
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Spiking can and does occur here in Cambodia.

Two people I knew got done over that way.

Also, one time I had 4 beers 100m from my then home near O'russey market.

Then, I found myself on my bike at the Friendship Bridge roundabout wondering how the fuck I'd got there.

I gave my bike to a security guy and got a tuk-tuk home as everything was surreal and woozy.

Obviously - at first! - I put it down to maybe I had drunk too much.

But next day after recovering and then checking with my pal, the 4 beers and ok on leaving were correct.

I didn't get robbed... but WTF.. I could only conclude one of the ladies had done it for whatever reason.

I have no other explanation..

The other two guys - one was a newbie but the second was a seasoned veteran.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: yep i was regularly comotozed in K.O.S
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic