Cockroaches in the Kitchen, what to do ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: Cockroaches in the Kitchen, what to do ?

Post by markd »

go the roaches

thru shit to more shit
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

German cockroaches are amost impossible to eradicate. However we have a new poison in Australia that does seem to work. I shall call the pest man tomorrow and find out the name.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

willyhilly wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:40 pm German cockroaches are almost impossible to eradicate.

willyhilly wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:40 pm However we have a new poison in Australia that does seem to work.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

RickyBobby wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:51 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 1:48 am They look like German cockroaches to me. (Thanks for the chart JB.) They are small, but the sheer numbers are scary. I don't even know if they are a health hazard, and the food is all kept in containers, but if nothing is done they are going to be running the kitchen. And the first guest that goes out the back to the kitchen may well be the last.

Tbh, the little critters stay hidden when things are busy, but if you go into the kitchen when it's closed and then turn the light on, it's like a horror movie scene. Good info about filling in holes and cracks in the walls, thanks. The building isn't even that old, but it's done Khmer-style, so lots of holes in the walls where the pipes come in, or where it wasn't sealed properly. Friend has taken the place over recently, so is still discovering all the wonders that the owner didn't mention (and of course, why would you ? )
Yes, they scatter with light. I remember staying in SNV at a cheaper GH, and I was taking a bath when the power would go out. These things emerged from almost everywhere almost immediately. The wall tiles had spaces behind them where they inhabited, and they would come up and I was never so freaked out. My Gf had to come in and put the light on her phone to save me. haha.
I think you planted the cockroaches there JUST SO your gf would come help you take a bath!!! :bow:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Had our place done for $65. He sloshed the stuff everywhere, it’s not toxic for us. From the next day on never saw another cockroach. It’s guaranteed for a year. Works like a charm.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

You can buy sticky flypaper to put down where they go and they get stuck on it. Sell it in thai Hout.
For 2 months i had an electric mossie killer in y room and it seemd to kille small cockraoches as well cos i kept finding them dead. Cannot get refills here any more. I hat to flatten the big ones still old skool.
We had a cockroach in a restaurant once. My gf stabbed it with a toothpick and toasted it with my lighter. i thought for a horrible moment she was going to eat it!
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

My gf stabbed it with a toothpick and toasted it with my lighter. i thought for a horrible moment she was going to eat it!
Nah, probably a subtle warning in case you're ever tempted to stray.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

willyhilly wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:40 pm German cockroaches are amost impossible to eradicate. However we have a new poison in Australia that does seem to work. I shall call the pest man tomorrow and find out the name.
I think its called "bushfire"
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

willyhilly wrote:Had our place done for $65. He sloshed the stuff everywhere, it’s not toxic for us. From the next day on never saw another cockroach. It’s guaranteed for a year. Works like a charm.
Is this in Oz or here?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

Diatomaceous earth. Volcanic ash or something. Non toxic and gets on their exoskeleton and literally rubs its way into their body thus killing them. Sold in hardware stores in Canada anyway if that's any help over there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic