I have seen a dystopian future

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

I have seen a dystopian future

Post by newkidontheblock »

Just clicked on the wrong forum group on Tapatalk.

Saw a very dystopian future of CEO if inmates ran the asylum. No checks and balances at all. No sense of community, more bashing than a barroom brawl.

It’s called ... Thaivisa.

Thank you mods for not letting it turn into that!

Now come all haters!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: I have seen a dystopian future

Post by ExPenhMan »

Spot on. Gives you a real feel for the type of expats who inhabit Thailand. On the other hand, lots of decent expats never post or rarely visit TV because they are belittled and harangued by a core of miserable sods.

Seems to me the number of threads and comments have been steadily declining for 5-6 years, maybe longer. What could have been informative, interesting threads die of neglect very quickly. One of the signs of desperation to spur site activity are the numerous clickbait polls featuring asinine questions.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:24 am . One of the signs of desperation to spur site activity are the numerous clickbait polls featuring asinine questions.
Thats a little unfair to single out Ricky Bobby like that but I take your point sir.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there some very interesting guys an some real losers that end up in Issan living on nickels and dimes,

But than again, some threads have tons of good info
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

angkorjohn2 wrote:Thats a little unfair to single out Ricky Bobby like that but I take your point sir.
Sorry that you feel that way.
BTW, what do you have against him?

But more importantly, can you share WHY you feel that way?

What makes a poll interesting to you and not just ‘clickbait’?

Please make CEO better and share.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:48 am there some very interesting guys an some real losers that end up in Issan living on nickels and dimes,

I just stick with the Thailand News forum, so have to agree.

(https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/18-thailand-news/)

It's much easier to scan through the headlines there than it is to try and look at the cluttered homepages of the Post and the Nation. There are usually at least a few intelligent comments as well, which adds to the value of checking it out.

Not sure which forum the OP was reading. There are many.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:48 am there some very interesting guys an some real losers that end up in Issan living on nickels and dimes,

Are you suggesting that the entire membership of ThaiVisa Forum live in Issan? Why would ThaiVisa have a Phuket section if that were the case? Given that I have stated that I live in Isaan, is this a cowardly form of insult from a man that lives the third largest sex for money center in Thailand? Have you ever ventured out of your room to see the hordes of whores that ply the Patong Beach, Bang La region? Do you feel that the Russian or Chinese tourists that Phuket now thrives on really enhance your quality of life? Have you ever had the pleasure of dealing with the Phuket taxi mafia?

I spent a short 4 day holiday in Phuket and to me, it is very similar to Pattaya. Filled with old men, full of themselves after paying some whore to tell them how handsome they are before engaging in their 4 minutes of sweaty "lovemaking". Men that live for happy hour or cheap drinks up dingy side sois counting their baht while waiting for next months pension cheque to come so they can pay this month's rent. In fact, recently a poster who claims to live in Phuket posted a rather telling article of a Phuket expat who was so far behind his rent that he barricaded himself in his rather shabby room for a number of months before being extricated by police. There are a few quality farangs in Phuket if one searches hard but the vast majority really are living as if the stayed on Soi Kingkaew. I am sure given your exceptional knowledge of Thailand and it's varied regions you are very familiar with that soi in particular.

not intended to offend or troll any CEO member but simply a rebuttal of said poster's suggestion that Isaan expats are the root of ThaiVisa Forums problems. I am not a member of ThaiVisa, I believe the forum is filled with hateful and posters that gratuitously insult each other to enhance their feeling of self-worth.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 am

Are you suggesting that the entire membership of ThaiVisa Forum live in Issan? Why would ThaiVisa have a Phuket section if that were the case? Given that I have stated that I live in Isaan, is this a cowardly form of insult from a man that lives the third largest sex for money center in Thailand? Have you ever ventured out of your room to see the hordes of whores that ply the Patong Beach, Bang La region? Do you feel that the Russian or Chinese tourists that Phuket now thrives on really enhance your quality of life? Have you ever had the pleasure of dealing with the Phuket taxi mafia?

I spent a short 4 day holiday in Phuket and to me, it is very similar to Pattaya. Filled with old men, full of themselves after paying some whore to tell them how handsome they are before engaging in their 4 minutes of sweaty "lovemaking". Men that live for happy hour or cheap drinks up dingy side sois counting their baht while waiting for next months pension cheque to come so they can pay this month's rent. In fact, recently a poster who claims to live in Phuket posted a rather telling article of a Phuket expat who was so far behind his rent that he barricaded himself in his rather shabby room for a number of months before being extricated by police. There are a few quality farangs in Phuket if one searches hard but the vast majority really are living as if the stayed on Soi Kingkaew. I am sure given your exceptional knowledge of Thailand and it's varied regions you are very familiar with that soi in particular.

not intended to offend or troll any CEO member but simply a rebuttal of said poster's suggestion that Isaan expats are the root of ThaiVisa Forums problems. I am not a member of ThaiVisa, I believe the forum is filled with hateful and posters that gratuitously insult each other to enhance their feeling of self-worth.
You spent 4 days in PHUKET or in Patong?
:facepalm:
where did i say they all live in Issan? Look at the number of posts from those living in Issan compared to those living in the rest of the country.
There is one town, i forget the name in Issan, that the whole Commerce of the town is based on bar girls bringing their old husbands up there to build a home and retire
I wouldn't live in Issan if i had to, I'd be up north in the ching rai area if i didn't love the sea

Has my life improved over the 32+ year i have been here? hard to say... but living where i do an my lifestyle, it has NOT gotten any worse. Love having a shopping mall nearby.
phuket is NOTHING like pattaya, OK< soi bangla in Patong might be, but thats it.. :stir:
......but the vast majority really are living as if the stayed on Soi Kingkaew.
1,000 % BS
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:07 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 am

You spent 4 days in PHUKET or in Patong?
:facepalm:
where did i say they all live in Issan? Look at the number of posts from those living in Issan compared to those living in the rest of the country.
There is one town, i forget the name in Issan, that the whole Commerce of the town is based on bar girls bringing their old husbands up there to build a home and retire
I wouldn't live in Issan if i had to, I'd be up north in the ching rai area if i didn't love the sea

Has my life improved over the 32+ year i have been here? hard to say... but living where i do an my lifestyle, it has NOT gotten any worse. Love having a shopping mall nearby.
phuket is NOTHING like pattaya, OK< soi bangla in Patong might be, but thats it.. :stir:
......but the vast majority really are living as if the stayed on Soi Kingkaew.
1,000 % BS
there some very interesting guys an (sic) some real losers that end up in Issan living on nickels and dimes

You got your insult in, good for you. Just because a dog shits on the sidewalk doesn't t mean I must step in it. I enjoy my lifestyle in Isaan, I prefer not to stereotype, up to you if you do. My brother lives in upper Chiang Mai and likes where he lives. I guess we are not all the same, otherwise, I would be wearing a wife beater waiting for next months pension cheque to come in. Enjoy your seaside brother, I enjoy the peace and quiet of where I live without the hordes of Russian, Chinese and the fact that I don t run into unpleasant opinionated farang on a daily basis. May I also suggest Grammarly to you, it is free and would make your post far more legible.
expatbullshiters
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by expatbullshiters »

maybe there should be an american section where they can argue amongst themselves about o so important things like being the world police and being the moral compass of the world. seems like the american posters are turning off a lot of the other posters with their bickering and quick decent into topics totally unrelated to the original post. maybe the meds. maybe you guys should instant message each other instead of making other people on here listen to your chest bumping. every freaking topic- get a room.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic