It's Official; We are Killing Life on Earth

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

It's Official; We are Killing Life on Earth

Post by Anchor Moy »

I won't be around when humans run out of fresh air and water altogether, but it does seem that this something that we should be concerned about. Reading this made me think that Cambodia is a sort of micro-cosmos of what is happening globally.

Human society under urgent threat from loss of Earth's natural life
Scientists reveal 1 million species at risk of extinction in damning UN report
Jonathan Watts Global environment editor

Mon 6 May 2019 11.59 BST
Last modified on Wed 8 May 2019 17.37 BST

Human society is in jeopardy from the accelerating decline of the Earth’s natural life-support systems, the world’s leading scientists have warned, as they announced the results of the most thorough planetary health check ever undertaken.

From coral reefs flickering out beneath the oceans to rainforests desiccating into savannahs, nature is being destroyed at a rate tens to hundreds of times higher than the average over the past 10m years, according to the UN global assessment report.

The biomass of wild mammals has fallen by 82%, natural ecosystems have lost about half their area and a million species are at risk of extinction – all largely as a result of human actions, said the study, compiled over three years by more than 450 scientists and diplomats.

Two in five amphibian species are at risk of extinction, as are one-third of reef-forming corals, and close to one-third of other marine species. The picture for insects – which are crucial to plant pollination – is less clear, but conservative estimates suggest at least one in 10 are threatened with extinction and, in some regions, populations have crashed. In economic terms, the losses are jaw-dropping. Pollinator loss has put up to $577bn (£440bn) of crop output at risk, while land degradation has reduced the productivity of 23% of global land.

The knock-on impacts on humankind, including freshwater shortages and climate instability, are already “ominous” and will worsen without drastic remedial action, the authors said.

“The health of the ecosystems on which we and other species depend is deteriorating more rapidly than ever. We are eroding the very foundations of economies, livelihoods, food security, health and quality of life worldwide,” said Robert Watson, the chair of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (Ibpes). “We have lost time. We must act now.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -un-report
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: It's Official; We are Killing Life on Earth

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Nothing to worry about. Man will colonise other planets in the galaxy. :beer3:

Have you seen the movie Interstellar?

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

So long and thanks for all the fish.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:26 pm Nothing to worry about. Man will colonise other planets in the galaxy. :beer3:

Thanks, haven't seen it, but I'm sure we'll do a good job on the other planets too. :dragonchase:
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:19 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:26 pm Nothing to worry about. Man will colonise other planets in the galaxy. :beer3:

Thanks, haven't seen it, but I'm sure we'll do a good job on the other planets too. :dragonchase:
Yes sure we will,

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"“We have lost time. We must act now.""

He's absolutely correct, but while greed continues to exist we'll just have to suck it up.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Humans were genetically engineered by intergalatic beings (the gods of ancient times) who programmed them to terraform the earth by consuming and destroying everything.

After the planet has been completely sterilized, the aliens will land and start from scratch.

I thought "everybody" knew this already.

Anyway, enjoy it while you still can.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I noticed this quite a while back. I'm glad to hear that it's now official. There are many who don't want to believe it though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by k*rm*geddon »

Fear not, JB.
The Call To Arms has come from the 'Everyone is Equal But I'm More Equal than You' Leftist elite like Leonardo Dicaprio and Emma ("Donald Trump is a White Nationalist") Thompson.
Rally round. Rally round.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -York.html
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic