German Backpacker TOBIAS RUNCK Gets Scammed €9,000 by Tuk-Tuk Driver & Overstays Cambodia Visa 6 Months

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: German Backpacker TOBIAS RUNCK Gets Scammed €9,000 by Tuk-Tuk Driver & Overstays Cambodia Visa 6 Months

Post by Anchor Moy »

Whatever, this person is wanted for theft. Friends and family must know him. Call the authorities. He will get busted eventually.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: German Backpacker TOBIAS RUNCK Gets Scammed €9,000 by Tuk-Tuk Driver & Overstays Cambodia Visa 6 Months

Post by Cam Nivag »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Whatever, this person is wanted for theft. Friends and family must know him. Call the authorities. He will get busted eventually.
Wanted by whom? Have the police announced that they wish to arrest him? Being accused and being wanted are two different things.

Has a Cambodian ever been "busted" for having money sent to his bank account and then reneging on an agreement to give that money someone else?

I'm not at all sure he's going to be busted eventually.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:50 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Wanted by whom? Have the police announced that they wish to arrest him? Being accused and being wanted are two different things.

Has a Cambodian ever been "busted" for having money sent to his bank account and then reneging on an agreement to give that money someone else?

I'm not at all sure he's going to be busted eventually.
A suspect has been posted as "wanted" on social media. That's how it works in Cambodia. Not saying thats right or wrong, but it will probably draw the attention of the authorities to the alleged scam, and the scammer's personal identity details are available for law enforcement officials if they want to follow up.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

fax wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:48 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:27 pm Ask them what? What assistance could they provide? Like security goons to go with you and the driver to Western Union? Or can moms send money to the embassy for their kids with expired visas to collect?
WTF? Goons and Western Union? That was an OR. There is no "embassy and Western Union". It's one or the other.

The objective is to figure out if they can accept money on your behalf. How would you ask for something like that? Try "do you have a bank account I can send money to and collect from here?"

Why is logic so hard?
gotta say as usual fax is kinda correct. if you're in the shit the US and many other embassies will take a call from mom or dad who say "little billy (name for example) is in trouble he has overstayed his visa and he needs a flight home, can you arange this if so how much$$$?" that is as far as i know how embassies deal with losers. if someone is happy to foot the bill then they will be the intermediary for this transaction...son gets bailed and a plane ticket home other times they send you back and hold your passport until the debt is fulfilled. either way this young man as Hanno said shouldnt have been allowed to travel solo. lost about 10kg since his passport picture. I feel sorry for mom
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Pisshead »

my family wouldnt send me 8 Euro let alone 8000 Euros.

let this be a warning not to trust Locals in SEA.

Sure they ate good for a beer and a loan of 5-10 quid but you never let them in your room or get overly finacially involved.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Does anyone question whether his story is true?

On the one hand, people who overstay for 6+ months are notoriously dodgy, not be trusted, and often claim "I was robbed!" to get sympathy and cash.

On the other hand, he has produced a photo of what appears to be wire transfer instructions, and dodgy overstayers don't usually fabricate documentation of money transfers and then make accusations against specific locals, called out by name and photo, accusing them of robbery.

My guess is that his allegations are true, but I'd love to hear the tuk tuk drivers side.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:33 am
My guess is that his allegations are true, but I'd love to hear the tuk tuk drivers side.
I think he might be running a taxi service now!

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pisshead wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:07 am my family wouldnt send me 8 Euro let alone 8000 Euros.

let this be a warning not to trust Locals in SEA.
Back home would let a random taxi driver withdraw 9000 USD from your account?
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say this alleged agreement was purely verbal and the kid has no way of proving that there was any agreement for the tuk tuk driver to give him the €9k. If that's the case then I don't see what the authorities could do even if they found the guy. The same issue would apply in any other country.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

This is from a friends facebook feed. It says something about land? Google translate gibberish?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic