May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bankranter247
Tourist
Bangladesh

May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by bankranter247 »

Hey folks, warning you now, this will be long. I'm a traveling software developer, all around tech guy. I created an account here just to make this post and am taking a chunk out of my day to inform you all. I am not scared of ***, and also not stupid as I have done my research on this topic and have seen the "apologies" that guys give after ***'s "Investigations". So as much as I want to get this to the masses on Facebook, I'm sitting behind 3 vpn's and TOR and posting to this site. Here we go.

So trying to keep it short here, I moved to PP a few blanks ago, and I love it! Minus my water and/or power cutting off for 3-5 hours a day in an apartment that I'm paying way to fucking much for to be having these issues, ($400+electric, this will be important later) it's great. Good food, never cold outside, cute khmer women and white girl tourist all over the place, very tolerant with my girl Mary Jane, I'm really digging my life at the moment!

However not too long ago, I went to an atm to get the dreaded rent money. I want to say which atm, but based on what people are saying that they went through, and what I KNOW I've went through, plus not wanted to get Rodney King'd by the police here, I'm just gonna say ALWAYS CHECK YOUR BILLS! AND I'M EVEN TAKING THE STEP OF RECORDING MY WHOLE ATM TRANSACTIONS FROM NOW ON WITH MY PHONE.

Anyway, I go to the atm, take out $290 as I already have some cash on me, grab my card out the slot, grab the money, see 2 blue bills behind a $50 and two $20's, put it all in my wallet and keep it moving. As someone stated in another thread, I've never spread my bills in front of an atm in any country, I damn sure aint gonna do it in Cambodia. Strongly considering putting an "S" in front of that, but I have a heart.

Landlord later meets me at my place, we calculate electricity for the first time and bam, $105

Now I don't know how this feels to you guys, but it was a wtf moment for me. I have 2 friends here and 1 told me her electric has never been more than $50 and she even has a roommate. SO I figure me by myself, no TV, literally just fan, fridge, ac, charging phone/laptop, lights should be no more than $50. Plus up to this point in my life I have always stayed in places where the electric was included in the rent, so I was being VERY frugal even went out of town for a week, plus my electric is off 3-5 hours a day everyday anyway, so I wasn't expecting $105

Turns out the AC that I only use when sleeping at night was responsible for $80 of that bill. Sidenote, I'm pretty sure these pre-installed ac units use a shit ton more energy than they need to and I'm sure the owners/landlords know this as well, but I digress. (Just used that saying for the first time, hated when my teacher in high school said it, but I digress again.)

Ok I realize how long this is getting so I'll speed up. This is embarrassing but I told my landlord that I was really not expecting the bill to be that high, maybe 1/4 of it I was expecting so I was a few bucks of $50 short. He is really cool and said it's ok, maybe don't use your AC as much, you can pay me in full next week. Now i'm not SUPER Irresponsible, but I know myself well enough to know that it would be in my best interest to put that rent money away and never look or touch it until it's time to pay the landman so I did just that, put it in a little secret slot behind another secret slot in my PUMA wallet. Tucked away.

Now 2 days later, I have literally seen my 2 friends for 90min while watching some random Lifetime looking movie on Netflix, wallet in my pocket the whole time. Other than that, in those 2 days I went grocery shopping once, fast food twice, both times never touched my ATM rent money, and of course kept wallet on me at all times. I live alone as well keep my bedroom door locked and unfortunately slept alone those 2 nights which (humble brag, but just being honest here) doesn't happen often. Tinder is the shit if you're me. It just is what it is. I realize I'm sounding douchey but really I'm just trying to be 100% transparent with you guys.

Now to the good stuff, I go to a Circle K to get like 3 cans of lychee and melon milk juice, and only have a $50 bill plus the hundreds for the rent money. I'm getting paid double my rent in a few days from another job so I'm not tripping on spending on some juice. I get to the counter and hand the cute khmer girl a $50. It's an old $50, and i've been here long enough to know they hate that shit, so I waited for her response. She said what you think she said, so I sighed and pulled out a $100. While looking at the chocolate under the counter, I notice her wave another cute co-worker over and they examine the $100. I'm used to people examining them, so no red flags up yet, just waiting to taste my sweet lychee juice. Then after a good 30sec they both say "I'm sorry sir but this is fake." I said "what are you talking about? You wont take any of my bills first the $50 now this. Whats fake about it?"

Behold, a fake ass $100 bill with "Copy" in the corner.

Now fun fact, I used to be a driver for some "Entertainers" in (a city) back in the day, and would often hold their money for them as they usually didn't want to have it on them while they were out. On one occasion I came across one of these same exact bills and figured that rationally, I'm in a place with a lot of movie and tv studios, must be prop money that got mixed in at some point in someones wallet, whatevs.

Now I'm staring at this shit looking like a complete DUNCE in the Circle K with the cute khmer girls thinking i'm either stupid or a scammer. So I immediately backtrack in my head wtf went wrong where when and how. *** ATM is the only answer. I pull up my bank records (bank is in another country) and thankfully, I see the transaction with date, time, and most importantly a feature I didn't anticipate, GPS! There is a little Google map with a pin dropped below every transaction i've made with my card. I thought I would have to call and jump through hoops for something like that but nope, right in my online options to see, nice and easy. I immediately go to *** the next day, tell them all about it, they say you have to go to this specific branch and they will give you your money back. It was already getting late so I would have to do that the next day.

Next day bright and early, I got to the specific *** I was told to go to, tell them what's up, and get pulled aside and told this, "We do checks and 100% no way your bills came from our atm we have security there and everything so it's impossible." (BTW forgot to add I did mad research the night before on the topic, which is how I found this site." I tell her "Ok, I know whats SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN, but that obviously isn't always true. I know and you know that I am not the first person that this has happened to and unfortunately probably wont be the last. I'm not mad at you or the bank, but obviously whether it's 1 person, 2, 3, 4 or more people, this is happening and it's only in PP and ONLY at *** ATM's. I need to pay rent, your machine took my money from my account and gave me fake bills, I just want my money back. I have the transaction info from my bank here (show her the phone) and the GPS location of the transaction."

She goes on to say, "Ok we can open an investigation and check the serial numbers then we will get back to you." I say, "These are FAKE bills. The serial numbers on them are the same, and since they are fake, and you use "State of the art ATM filling technology", they obviously won't show up in your system, and you will just tell me that they didn't come from your ATM because they are not in your system. But of course they are not going to be in your system because they are fake. You have cameras, I have the transaction info, lets not waste time with these "serial numbers" that will not show up on camera or in your system.

She says "ok hold on," I go to another counter, get my I.D., fake bills, scanned and photo taken. They ask again to verify atm address I give it to them, they say ok we will contact you after our investigation. As I said before I did lots of research the night before and saw that NO ONE gets their money back, just excuses and "This couldn't have came from us because we have Batman level security when loading atm's." So my hopes are pretty low at this point, but I figure try this before calling my bank.

Literally 20 minutes later I get the call, "Hello I'm sorry but we cannot find your transaction with us." Of course they can't. I save myself from cussing the dude out but I told him, "Look man I already knew this would happen, I have all of the proof and you guys refuse to admit a problem in order to save face or whatever but it's ok, I will call my bank, let them know what happened, they will take MY money back from YOUR bank within 10 days and all will be ok. You can drop the investigation, don't waste your time anymore, my bank will take care of it, *click*."

He calls back twice and I let it go to voicemail. Then I call my bank and tell them what happened, let them know one quick Google search will show that this has been happening in PP and ONLY at *** ATM's, and they tell me the magic words, "Sorry about this happening to you, we will credit you back your transaction within the next 10 days."

Ok, 10 days is better than never.

So that's how my Fake $100 bills from *** Bank debacle went. Only just now have I seen the other post about dudes apologizing afterwards for thinking they got fakes bills from them but c'mon man, just reading those apologies I could feel the gun to their heads. We all know how the wealthy and/or police connected Khmer folk can get down, and those fake apologies were just obvious like prisoner ransom notes or something.. But I aint no bitch, I'm a good dude and work too hard to just let $200 blow away because people want to "Save face" and not admit mistakes. There is clearly a dude or some dudes doing this shit that have access to the *** ATM's in PP. There are way too many coincidences.

I felt I had to come here and write this after going through the other similar threads, because all those dudes ended up apologizing, and it didn't feel legit AT ALL. Highly doubt some officials will officially come for my head for this but fucking with my money is personal. Step on my shoes, lay eyes on my date, bump into me while walking, it's all good. But I work too hard and have been broke for too long to throw money away. I hope the take away from this for everyone is,

*** - Stop with this save face crap and just investigate your workers. I didn't just wake up this morning and say "I'm going to fuck with *** today because I don't care about my life and I want their business to suffer." You don't need to shake people down and threaten them on social media because your workers are scamming customers. You already charge a $5 ATM fee! Handle your stuff internally and no one will have anything bad to say.

As for the rest of ya - I'm serious, take a 30sec video everytime you're at the ATM. I saw dudes posting saying "I've been here for years taken out 10's of 1000's and never got a fake bill. Well neither did I, until I did. So prepare yourself to deal with these guys.

Love ya all

Pray for me to not die soon because of this.

Wakanda Forever!

[Mod Edit: Name of bank removed, as it just doesn't seem possible, but your rant can stay.]
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by General Mackevili »

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Once AGAIN:
Fake / counterfeit bills do NOT write the word copy on them
I have had more than my fair share of counterfeit bills out of korea

NONE ever had the word COPY on them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"Liars are extremely generous when it comes to giving you details. They’re trying to con you into believing them by overloading you with details.

This shows they’ve put a lot of thought into what they’re going to say and probably even rehearsed it in their head.

Honest people give more succinct answers, because they’re telling the truth and they don’t have to think about it.

They know the facts."

https://www.resourcefulmanager.com/lying/

:popcorn:
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

Cant believe I just read all that. So check your notes before you leave the ATM. Or just withdraw at the bank counter
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Translation. Took a ladyboy home and got scammed.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Is the bank called ASS?
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

3 cans of lychee and melon milk juice
I quit reading after that. The dude deserves anything that possibly happened to him.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Username Taken wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 pm "Liars are extremely generous when it comes to giving you details. They’re trying to con you into believing them by overloading you with details.

This shows they’ve put a lot of thought into what they’re going to say and probably even rehearsed it in their head.

Honest people give more succinct answers, because they’re telling the truth and they don’t have to think about it.

They know the facts."

https://www.resourcefulmanager.com/lying/

:popcorn:
Yeah, reminds me of another thread on here...the one where the guy was needing a loan before starting a supposed teaching job in Siem Reap...

As I said then, I'm suspicious of people that rabbit on to get their message across. This dude the same ..writing a novel in the process..
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CBEQ »

Do not bank with ***, use ACLEDA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic